Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Season opener vs Houston time/channel set

First games can be weird as Stanford found out losing to Northwestern on opening day last year. NW posted a 10-3 record, but all 3 losses were blowouts to Michigan, Iowa and Tennessee (they didn't play tOSU). Had they played Stanford any other weekend of the year, Stanford would have blown them out too. It's a good thing too, as Stanford would have taken our place in the CFP had they even scraped by NW. But hey, every team has to get by their first game and the better teams usually get it done. As TDTW says, Houston looks to be over-rated, but we'll get too much credit for the win if we get it done.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    First games can be weird as Stanford found out losing to Northwestern on opening day last year. NW posted a 10-3 record, but all 3 losses were blowouts to Michigan, Iowa and Tennessee (they didn't play tOSU). Had they played Stanford any other weekend of the year, Stanford would have blown them out too. It's a good thing too, as Stanford would have taken our place in the CFP had they even scraped by NW. But hey, every team has to get by their first game and the better teams usually get it done. As TDTW says, Houston looks to be over-rated, but we'll get too much credit for the win if we get it done.
    So, where is the similarity to Houston...other than it's the first game of the year?

Am I now pretending that Houston with a depleted roster in 2016 is the same as Stanford and Northwestern in 2015?

Sorry, can't go there. Houston gets by in a lesser conference, with less talented players, and on September 3, 2016 they will face us breaking in new starters on almost very unit- offense, defense, and special teams.

That was not the case with Stanford versus Northwestern in 2015:
    -Houston isn't returning a 1,000 rusher at tailback, as Northwestern was.
    -Houston isn't returning it's leading receiver, as Northwestern was.
    -Houston isn't returning it's starting secondary, as Northwestern was.
    -Houston isn't returning it's starting DTs, as Northwestern was.
    -Houston isn't returning it's placekicker, as Northwestern was.
    -Houston isn't returning it's top kick returner, as Northwestern was.
    -Houston isn't even returning it's deep snapper, as Northwestern was.

That Houston 2016 will be anything like Houston 2015 is nothing but fantasy. The majority of those players are gone. You are wanting me to pretend that Houston is like Alabama and just reloads every year no matter who leaves.

That's a joke. Sorry. Houston is likey to be bowl eligible because they are in a conference with the likes of Tulsa and Tulane. Congratulations. But, they will be crushed early and often in the game against us.

If the television people really thought it would be a marquee game with Houston even have a slim chance of winning, they wouldn't have stuck the game at 11:00 a.m.

Whatever the line is for OU, take it if you are the betting type, because we will more than cover it.
    Last edited by Tear Down This Wall; 5/27/2016 at 02:13 PM.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

vCash

Boy, you put way more effort into that post than needed. You can list all the pros about NW that you want, but the bottom line is that they were not a great team, but I'm not comparing them to Houston. Stanford should have beaten them and would have any other game of the year other than week 1. That's the only comparison I was making. Game #1 was weird and it cost Stanford dearly - end of story. I watched the game and Stanford's offense was totally out of sync and they could have been taken down by any number of inferior teams that day. The rest of the year, they were very good and would have matched up better than OU did against Clemson in the CFP, IMO.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

U of H is only a 9.5 dog in Houston, that's hardly a cakewalk. Next week at home is ULM, that's a cakewalk.
    TEXAS IS GOD'S COUNTRY---IF YOU'RE AN ATHEIST

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Boy, you put way more effort into that post than needed. You can list all the pros about NW that you want, but the bottom line is that they were not a great team, but I'm not comparing them to Houston. Stanford should have beaten them and would have any other game of the year other than week 1. That's the only comparison I was making. Game #1 was weird and it cost Stanford dearly - end of story. I watched the game and Stanford's offense was totally out of sync and they could have been taken down by any number of inferior teams that day. The rest of the year, they were very good and would have matched up better than OU did against Clemson in the CFP, IMO.
    Northwestern had an experienced squad facing fellow P5er Stanford. Nothing weird happened.

2016 Houston is still rife with G5 talent without a lot of experience. We will blow them out easily. Again...hence, the 11 a.m. kickoff. TV and Vegas know it will be a yawner.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by oudivesherpa View Post
    U of H is only a 9.5 dog in Houston, that's hardly a cakewalk. Next week at home is ULM, that's a cakewalk.
    You're making my argument for me. Houston is already almost a double digit dog...at "home." Vegas knows Houston will not have any "home" advantage at the pro stadium. And, unlike many college football fans, they don't make their bones in fantasyland.

They've checked out the rosters, seen who's returning and who isn't from both squads, and correctly pegged Houston at almost double digits. My guess is, it'll be OU by 12 to 14 by game time.

Again, take OU and the line because it'll be OU by at least 28 when the dust settles.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    Northwestern had an experienced squad facing fellow P5er Stanford. Nothing weird happened.

2016 Houston is still rife with G5 talent without a lot of experience. We will blow them out easily. Again...hence, the 11 a.m. kickoff. TV and Vegas know it will be a yawner.
    Which part of I'm not comparing NW to Houston did you not understand? I said yes, all I am saying is that in that particular case, a lesser team beat a much better team on the first weekend of the season when it was unlikely to happen the rest of the year. Maybe not weird as sometimes teams start off slowly on offense before they mesh gears. But Stanford had no reason to start slowly as they had a QB going into his 4th year as a starter and a returning RB that would run for 2000 yds and set a zillion records. They also ended up good enough for the CFP while NW got blown out by the other good teams they played.

That game was an 11am kickoff too, so TV and Vegas knew it would be a yawner.

BTW, I expect this to be an easy OU win and we have no reason to start out slowly on offense with a proven QB and an elite level RB. If OU struggles even in a too-close win, I would consider it weird.