Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Season opener vs Houston time/channel set

The season starts against Houston at 11 AM on ABC.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 BermudaSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Season opener vs Houston time/channel set

Cause the only match-up between top 10 teams opening weekend should probably happen at 11:00am.
    "You get no moral credit for forcing other people to do what you think is right."---Penn Jillette

"It's what I do, I drink and I know things."---Tyrion Lannister

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I prefer the 11am starts, so that's what I requested. Sorry, I should have asked some other fans first - my bad.

vCash

Lame.

So it begins.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

It's because the opponent is Houston. If it were LSU, A&M, or some real college football team, we'd be playing at night.

I don't care what Houston did in 2015, they graduated a sh*t ton of starters. They'll be facing OU with new starting RBs, #1 WR, all four in the secondary (over half their defense is gone, including leading tackler and TFL guy), and everyone in the special teams - kicker, punter, longsnapper, and return men.

In short, it's going to be ugly for Houston's new starters...and, people who really pay attention to college football know it. All UH has in 2016 is their QB. That may be fine in their little, off brand conference, but...Baker will shred their four new secondary starters, while Mixon and Perine pound away at the new defensemen up front.

It almost makes me feel sorry for Greg Ward having his Heisman bid be snuffed out in Week One...or, not!

If they stay within 28 of us, I'll be mildly surprised.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

It means you can have dinner at a decent time, and watch more football!!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

OU - 71Htown - 17
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by swardboy View Post
    OU - 71Htown - 17
    Sounds about right inasmuch as Baker and Samaje will both be Heisman candidates, and Stoops has a history of leaving Heisman candidates in games late to pile up numbers.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Just win! Houston is not a cupcake team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Pride1Mom View Post
    Hmmm, yup yup! We need to really fine tune everything first off, then
    be plain vanilla the following game 'cause the one after makes...or breaks...
    OUr playoff chances.

vCash

Look at the bright side - a few less hours to wait for OU football!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Pride1Mom View Post
    They are a cupcake. They lost most of their offensive starters at RB and WR, their entire secondary, leading tackler, leading TFL, and their entire special teams units - even the longsnapper.

The OU game will be the first collegiate start for over half their team - on both side of the ball and on special teams. And, they'll be playing in a pro football stadium where OU fans will outnumber them by at least 2 to 1.

It will be ugly for Houston. The only questions is, how ugly will it get for them. Again, I'll be shocked if they're within 28 of us - at halftime.

Houston is refried horsesh*t, and they will show it September 3rd. It's embarrassing that they are being considered to join the Big 12. This game will be as thoroughly uninteresting as an Iowa State game.

That's right, I said it. Throw f*cking Iowa State in the America Athletic Conference, and they'd likely go 13-1 as well every four years or so when they have a senior-laden team like Houston did last year.

But, that was last year. The majority of those guys are gone. And, so, Houston, will be fighting to get to seven wins this, so that they can pin the "we qualified for a bowl game again!" ribbon on their chests, like Texas Tech.

F*ck Houston. They are nothing but Texas Tech South, if you ask me. I hope Perine goes off for 300 yards on them, and Mayfield and Mixon get 100 a piece.

Bay City Buttholes. Stay out of our conference! We already have enough sh*tty former SWC schools in our conference, starting with the main sh*thole of them all, the one in Austin!

Houston. I'd rather eat a bucket a fresh goat puke than share a conference with those bottom feeding sea roaches.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Let's kick their asses early and rest up the starters !
    T***s is the Kim Kardashian of college football. Hardly as attractive as she thinks and has never done a thing to justify all the fame. They chase the money in much the same way. The 'horns are a legend in their own mind. Texas destroyed the SWC and is currently sucking the life out of the Big 12.

Stolen from Sabanball

vCash

I'm an OU fan living in Houston and the airwaves are covered with U of H fans boasting about how they are going to kick OU ***. It is like a three foot redneck midget bragging on how he is going to F*#! the crap out of a beautiful six foot Hollywood starlet. He has great expectations with very little abilities to achieve his goals.
    TEXAS IS GOD'S COUNTRY---IF YOU'RE AN ATHEIST

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JLEW1818's Avatar
    vCash

I learned my lesson week 1 of 2009 against BYU.
    We had a Heisman winner at QB.
    Yes he got hurt right before half, but we still sucked in the first half.

We will be favored and should win. But still, it's week 1.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JLEW1818 View Post

Not the same. Houston has inexperience all around, BYU was loaded with upperclassmen all around.

In their starting 22, plus special teams, BYU only had three or four underclassmen starting. The majority of their starter in 2009, offensive, defensive, and special teams, was comprised of seniors.

Factor in that many of those seniors were also two years older because many go on two year missions, and you had a exceptionally experienced squad in 2009. They went 11-2. They next season, with the majority of their starters gone, they went 7-6.

Houston is nowhere near where BYU was in 2009 as far as roster. Houston's senior and junior-laden squad was last season's. The comparison of the two programs is laughable.

We will run roughshod over Houston young defense, and overpower their your offense. Their special teams - deep snapper, returners, kickers, and the punt - all new in 2016. No telling how many mistakes they'll make in a game against OU at a pro football stadium. I'd bet at least two.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

Meh, half of BYU's roster are old enough to drink (if they did so) by the time they first set foot on a football field in college.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

vCash

The BYU freshman is 21 versus 18, they don't drink, smoke or have premarital sex. They are frustrated as hell and they take it out on the football field.
    TEXAS IS GOD'S COUNTRY---IF YOU'RE AN ATHEIST

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JLEW1818's Avatar
    vCash

I still don't like opening the season like this.

vCash

I still don't like opening the season like this.
    You don't like opening the season with a team:
    (1) From an inferior conference
    (2) Rebuilding its defense, including replacing all secondary starters
    (3) Replacing all of its offensive yardage leaders except at QB
    (4) Replacing every member of its special teams
    (5) At a pro football stadium?

It's a cake walk. The only thing I hope is that when it gets out of hand, Stoops will keep the following week's Ohio State tilt in mind and get the starters out of the game in the third quarter instead of waiting until midway through the fourth, which has been his career M.O. during blowouts.

It's great that it's in Houston as well because it is supposedly a Texas A&M recruiting stronghold, and A&M is suffering right now a bit. Go in there and blow out the Cougars while A&M is still off balance. That's a plus for us in recruiting.

Beat an extremely overrated Houston while f*cking over A&M...how is that a bad way to start the season?