Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mazeppa's Avatar
    vCash

Targeting rule could become more stringent.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Re: Targeting rule could become more stringent.

The players are using very poor tackling techniques. I have watched and there is more using the helmet like a battering ram, instead of actually using arms to tackle. Also, what is it with the head slapping? Baylor was the worst team I had ever seen!!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Anybody here remember Willie Lanier, MLB of the KC Chiefs back in the 60's (yeah, I'm old). He ALWAYS tackled with his head up because he knew of the risk to injury to his neck CLEAR BACK THEN. I call out our players on this because I've seen so many missed tackles due to the head going down for the killer shot, when if they'd just stood there and hugged the ball carrier they would have had a stop. Seems to be no coaching in this at all down at Norman. I HOPE the targeting rule gets more stringent. Plus I saw targeting not get called against our opponents a lot last year. Shoot, just enforce the existing rule refs!
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

The game needs to target targeting at all levels to ensure it survives another 50 super bowls, because while it's sad when a former player has trouble walking or using his hands due to a lifetime of football injuries, the player stops being the person he was with brain injuries

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mazeppa's Avatar
    vCash

By The Associated Press March 8, 2016 6:00 PM AP - Sports
    Replay officials will have more say about what is a targeting penalty in college football next season.

The NCAA playing rules oversight panel approved on Tuesday a proposal by the rules committee to expand instant replay officials' authority regarding targeting fouls. Replay officials now will be able to call ''egregious'' targeting penalties missed by on-field officials. They also will have more flexibility to overturn incorrect targeting calls.
    Targeting results in a 15-yard penalty and the ejection of the player who commits the foul.
    All targeting fouls are reviewed, but replay officials have been limited to reviewing only if there was forcible contact to the head and neck area and if the hit was made with the crown of the helmet. Under this proposal, how the contact occurred, whether the player launched into an opponent or whether the contact was more incidental, also can be reviewed.
    There were 158 targeting penalties called in all FBS games last season. Forty-three were overturned by replay review and 115 were upheld.
    The oversight panel also approved the use of electronic devices such as laptop computers and tablets coach coaching purposes during games. They will be permitted in press boxes and the locker room but not on the sidelines.
    The home school is responsible for ensuring identical television and video capability and internet connectivity in the coaches' booths for both teams.
    Other changes approved by the panel:
    - Players who leave the tackle box will be prohibited from blocking below the waist toward the initial position of the ball.
    - A ball carrier who has clearly given himself up by sliding feet first will be covered by rules pertaining to defenseless players.
    - Deliberately tripping a ball carrier with the leg will be a foul.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

- Players who leave the tackle box will be prohibited from blocking below the waist toward the initial position of the ball.
    Trevor Knight sure could have used that rule two years ago...

That will be interesting to see how that plays out next year.