Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mazeppa's Avatar
    vCash

Cam Newton rewrote the rules (cheating)

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Re: Cam Newton rewrote the rules (cheating)

I understand why his dad did it --- his son was the most talented prospect coming out of juco and lots of programs wanted his commitment. He probably also felt that Florida took advantage of Cam (saying something along the lines of "it won't be free this time") the first time around and wanted to make sure the family got what was coming to him the next go-around.

On top of that, his church was facing financial issues that needed to be resolved immediately, and the solution was right in front of him, so why not just do what every other hot prospect's family has done a million times over.

It certainly has worked out since then. Sure, daddy couldn't do much talking around the Heisman ceremony when stuff was getting leaked out about him soliciting Miss State for six figures, but since then, national championship at Auburn, first overall draft pick to Carolina, huge deal with Under Armour, and his son even got his Auburn degree to make momma happy.

I don't fault the Newtons for doing what many others do... but I don't think any better of them, either. No high horse, just indifference.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Cam Newton rewrote the rules (cheating)

I have a similar view, Badj. I thought I would hate the guy after the 1 year mercenary season at Auburn and having everything go his way. But he seems to be a decent ambassador to football since. I admit I don't follow his team or the NFL very closely, but compared to JFF he seems to be a saint. I do like the way he acts like football is a *game* when he is on the field - as it should be. I'm sure rival fans hate him for it, but as a neutral observer, it seems pretty harmless to me and I'm betting the Panther fans love him.