Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Re: RIP: PAUL KANTNER

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! View Post
    The late 60's and early 70's was the best music in popular music history, as far as I'm concerned. the one act I didn't mention before that I should have was the Moody Blues when they were at their peak, with Days of Future Past, and the next 3 or 4 albums. Stuff just after that period that was pretty good was Kansas, Rush, Styx, Steely Dan, Heart, Blondie, the Pretenders, ELO, Bowie, Elton John.

I get it you didn't appreciate Kantner for quality, Obvious disagreement there. Eric Clapton is quite overrated, although Cream had some good songs, and I always liked "Layla".
    I'm not sure how Clapton could be put in the category of "overrated." He succeed with groups - Yardbirds and Creem, one-offs like Derek and the Dominoes, and on his own.

How many other artists, American or British, have done that in rock? Robert Plant, perhaps, for a little bit. Rod Stewart. Certainly, Phil Collins. I can't really think of an American musicians who did well for decades after being successful with a group.

And, has any guitarist been as successful for as long as Clapton? I can't think of a guitarist who has outsold Clapton on either continent.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I'm just not as impressed with Clapton as I am with some others, although I did like Layla and Sunshine of Your Love, White Room Tales of Brave Ulysses, but then it was jack Bruce the lead singer for Cream. Paul Rodgers of Bad Company, Foreigner, Queen, Bowie etc. all better than Clapton for my taste. Face it, music is VERY subjective.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

Rush, I'm glad you mentioned Fagen and Becker.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by hawaii 5-0 View Post
    Rush, I'm glad you mentioned Fagen and Becker.

5-0
    I saw them live here in PHX maybe 5 years ago, and it was one of the best concerts I've ever seen. There were 13 people in the band, including 3 horns and a 3 girl chorus. They advertised that they would play the entire AJA album. Right off they did that, then proceeded to play every other song I wanted to hear from them. It was a MAHVELOUS show, and all of us in the audience went nuts.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

I missed seeing Jeffeson Starship in OKC, 1974 when my dad catered back stage (real hickory smoked barbecue ribs). That was at the Civic Center.

I was there for the 1976 tour when they came to Lloyd Noble. So good!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jacie View Post
    I missed seeing Jeffeson Starship in OKC, 1974 when my dad catered back stage (real hickory smoked barbecue ribs). That was at the Civic Center.

I was there for the 1976 tour when they came to Lloyd Noble. So good!

I was at the '74 show at the Civic Center. Papa John Creach was there. Jorma's brother Peter played lead guitar.

Wished I coulda had some of your Dad's ribs.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!