Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 deweydw's Avatar
    vCash

Cody Thomas leaving football for baseball

Hope the best for him in baseball.

NORMAN, Okla. (AP) -- Backup quarterback Cody Thomas is leaving Oklahoma's football team to focus on baseball.

The school announced the decision Sunday. Football coach Bob Stoops says the team supports Thomas and hopes for the best for him.

Thomas, a sophomore, played in three games last season, completing one of three passes. As a redshirt freshman in 2014, he played in seven games and made three starts. He completed 30 of 66 passes for 342 yards and two touchdowns and rushed 23 times for 141 yards and one TD.

Thomas played on Oklahoma's baseball team in 2014 as an outfielder. He appeared in 14 games, starting one, and had one hit in 12 at-bats.

Baseball coach Pete Hughes says Thomas approached him and asked about trying out for the team. Hughes calls Thomas ''a quality kid and great competitor.''
    "Destiny dressed you this morning, my friend. And now fear is trying to pull off your pants." "If you give up, If you give in. Then you're going to end up naked, with fear just standing there laughing at your dang unmetionables." - The Tick

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Cody Thomas leaving football for baseball

Interesting that CT decided on horsehide versus pigskin, since TK is
    moving on as well. Hope the incoming kids can drive Baker to more
    competitive heights in his drive for OUr #8 and his Heisman.....

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I think they missed Josh. He was an EXCELLENT QB teacher. (Not just a coach) Ask Paul Thompson, he said he could never have achieved what he did if it weren't for Josh.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

There's an open question regarding how much QB coaching Josh did after being made OC. LR was also a pretty good QB and has a rep for coaching up effective QBs.
    My $0.02 guess is that TK9 got handcuffed after the Sugar Bowl and injuries and got frustrated not being able to play his style/to his strengths. All the best to him, but I don't think Riley was the root of his woes.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown