Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Re: Does anyone really think Stoops...

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerForLife92 View Post
    I still count 4 national championship games in which he is 1-3. Not great, but it makes you look ridiculous to throw out stats that aren't even right and then claim your argument is based on facts.
    He's 1-5 (elimination games not count?) And to point out a simple mistake that doesn't undercut the point:

It's been 16/17 years since we've won one which under stoops own standard is unacceptable is also a joke...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

No P5 Conference Program has won more games than OU since Bob Stoops has been the head coach. That stat right there should trump all else. National Championships are a result of winning and NC's will take care of themselves over large numbers of games.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    No P5 Conference Program has won more games than OU since Bob Stoops has been the head coach. That stat right there should trump all else. National Championships are a result of winning and NC's will take care of themselves over large numbers of games.

Stoops is also the longest tenured coach in the country since 2000. This makes that stat a little misleading. Stoops also averages 3 losses a season beginning with the 2005 season. ... I think Stoops leaves on his own after his kids graduate high school in a couple more years. ... I'm not saying fire Stoops, but I also don't think he wins another national championship.

I also think Stoops over achieved this year thanks to injuries to other teams. We would have lost to both Baylor and TCU if not for injuries to some of their players. We use injuries as excuses and in all honesty if Seth Russell doesn't get hurt at Baylor they are probably being crowned National Champs in 2 days.
    Last edited by pappy; 1/9/2016 at 06:32 PM.

Sooner Starter Since71ASooner4Life's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pappy View Post
    Stoops is also the longest tenured coach in the country since 2000. This makes that stat a little misleading. Stoops also averages 3 losses a season beginning with the 2005 season. ... I think Stoops leaves on his own after his kids graduate high school in a couple more years. ... I'm not saying fire Stoops, but I also don't think he wins another national championship.

I also think Stoops over achieved this year thanks to injuries to other teams. We would have lost to both Baylor and TCU if not for injuries to some of their players. We use injuries as excuses and in all honesty if Seth Russell doesn't get hurt at Baylor they are probably being crowned National Champs in 2 days.

Baylor with Russell wouldn't have a prayer against either team playing monday, and I doubt they beat OU. Stidham was a pretty damn good QB - I'm not sure they lost anything going with him.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...9/baylor-bears

And as far as TCU and healthy QB, the same can be said for OU playing without QB courtesy of that goon Ty Summers.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ObiKaTony View Post
    Can win another national title?
    Yes.

vCash

I'd love to see somebody make a list of better coaches. If that list was much longer than about 5, we'd have some really good LOL-material to look back on in a few years.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    I'd love to see somebody make a list of better coaches. If that list was much longer than about 5, we'd have some really good LOL-material to look back on in a few years.

I'd offer that Saban (he's only 8-8 in bowl games, but does have the 4 NCs) and Urban Meyer (he's 9-2 in bowl game with 3 NCs) are the 2 that are better than Stoops. Close NC game losses the 2 very best are hardly a disgrace

Forget about the 4th and 5th that are better - I'd like to hear who the 3rd is. You could argue Les Miles at 8-6 is in the same league, but he's only been to 2 NCs and lost one. Pete Carroll was 7-2 with 1-1 NC game record.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

If you think about it, all of Barry's success came from 3 recruiting classes (72, 77, 84). Are you saying that Stoops can't put together a single class?

vCash

A lot of schools would be thrilled to get the chance to lose in "big" games like we have. But we have won some too.

I always think of the Buffalo Bills when they went to four straight Super Bowls, only to lose. Were they a bad team because they didn't win it all? I don't think so.

To me winning it all is sort of like getting a hole in one golfing. You have to be good, but you also have to get lucky.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Stoops is also the longest tenured coach in the country since 2000. This makes that stat a little misleading. Stoops also averages 3 losses a season beginning with the 2005 season.
    I suppose you could arbitrarily pick a timeline to make a point but the fact remains that under Bob Stoops watch no other P5 program has either won more games or has a higher winning percentage. Combine that with the fact the program seems to now be trending upward and any talk about replacing Stoops is just plain silly.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BigTip View Post
    A lot of schools would be thrilled to get the chance to lose in "big" games like we have. But we have won some too.

I always think of the Buffalo Bills when they went to four straight Super Bowls, only to lose. Were they a bad team because they didn't win it all? I don't think so.

To me winning it all is sort of like getting a hole in one golfing. You have to be good, but you also have to get lucky.

Marv Levy isn't in Canton for being a bad coach

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Since71ASooner4Life View Post
    Marv Levy isn't in Canton for being a bad coach
    Or winning a lot as a college coach.

vCash

Doosh thread starters gonna doosh.......
    Hey... maybe T BOONE can pony up and start a Stilleater newspaper... but the players would probably just use it to roll the weed.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post
    Doosh thread starters gonna doosh.......
    Jealous much? Dont you know his Granny has a Championship ring and his daddy was a rassler?
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

daddy...lmao.

OleVet Posse Instigator

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Really, we shouldn't be getting on Stoops... where in the hell have our bagmen been to cede control of Texas' top recruits to Texas A&M and the SEC?

Why have our secret boosters allowed these five stars to go elsewhere? Are you worried about the economy? Oh boo hoo, my car dealership doesn't have Clash for Clunkers anymore. My oil portfolio is looking thin with $40 per barrel pricing, and Wall Street has tanked in 2016. Boo freaking hoo, you 1 percenter. DO. YOUR. JOB. Empty your bank account, and start handing out the cash like its 2016 national championship or bust. If Ole Miss is beating you out for recruits, YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.

Starting winning us recruiting wars, or consider yourself FIRED as OU bagmen. We are Oklahoma. Surely we can find other top boosters out there who can perform $100 handshakes better than anyone else in the country.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Precisely why I'm all in on Lotto...buy mucho recruits!
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

No he will not win another one. He had the ridiculous luck of playing the three other competitive teams in the conference without starting their QBs - and, without some of the defensive starters - plus Kansas State playing a WR at QB.

There is no way that happens again. The Texas games over the past three seasons have been atrocious. And, the Clemson post-season games show we've fallen down to at least ACC-level competitiveness.

That the ACC has caught up to the Big 12 is, really, sad. But, we're a part of that problem in allowing Texas to dictate who comes and goes in the league, Boren and Castiglione following along like lost puppies because Texas agrees to feed us more table scraps than the others.

I expect 3-5 losses every year Stoops remains. I expect to continue to watch physical teams brutalize our undersized lines in important games.

What it has come down to is this: the unexpected 2000 national title, plus the weakening of the Big 12 conference have basically given Stoops a lifetime pass here. The only thing that will trip him up are his own players' off the field antics.

He'll give one too many second chances and will get burned...and, the program along with it.
    Last edited by Tear Down This Wall; 1/11/2016 at 12:23 PM.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by swardboy View Post
    Precisely why I'm all in on Lotto...buy mucho recruits!
    Eff yes. With Powerball, OU will buy all of the recruits.

But isn't there limits to scholarships per class or overall?

Yes, but that is why they walk-on. You'll get all the meals of the real football players, but none of the scholarship that players don't care about anyway.

What shall Powerball provide each OU recruit?

$1,000 for taking an unofficial visit, where recruits will collect

$2,000 upon arrival at campus, where they will verbal, followed by

$500 for each fellow recruit they convince to unofficially visit and (additional $500) verbal, then

$5,000 for signing a LOI, and

$10,000 for arriving on campus and not leaving before the football season starts, at which point, an additional

$10,000 will be paid upon the start of each season the athlete is enrolled, playing football, and not leaving for whatever reason.

National championship here we come

vCash

Small point of correction...Kirk Ferentz was hired at Iowa the same
    year that Stoops was at OU...(and is still there..overpaid and overrated.)