Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Sooner Starter
    vCash

Re: Big XII additions, I present two.

To the people of UConn: "you might say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Rock Hard Corn Frog's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by winout View Post
    To the people of UConn: "you might say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."
    UConn would be big for Men's basketball and huge for Women's basketball. I don't think they do that much for football or the athletic programs in general. I'm not saying they wouldn't work but far from a first choice.

It is too bad ND didn't get snubbed by the playoff committee this year because of no conference affiliation because that would be the best way to go.

Otherwise I concur that the Big 12 is on borrowed time.
    "My landmass erupts with kittens."

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Some schools are trying. Cincy, for example, just did a stadium renovation/expansion. Other viable options like BYU and ND just seem to be toying with the Big 12 while enjoying all the perks of being in a conference (i.e. pretending to be a Power 5 program) without the hassle of membership to one.

The only viable options are convincing members of bloated 14-team conferences that it would be better to be in a smaller conference once again. This could be achieved through two means:

1- A top team(s) that wants to be in the Big 12 instead
    2- Top teams kicking out lesser conference members, leaving them searching for a new home.

That latter option seems more realistic. Who will the SEC, B1G, PAC or ACC kick out that could join the Big 12 afterward?

You got it: Ex-Big 12 members. Colorado sucks, Nebraska is no longer AAU and Missouri is hardly a southeastern state, let alone a Southeastern Conference-like program. All three act and play like outsiders and have ever since they switched conferences. About the only benefit to their current situation is that they are out of an unstable Big 12... but if they were to return, it would be more stable, yes?

Since Nebby, Weed Mountain and Safe Space No Media Allowed probably would not come unless their hand is forced, let us turn our attention instead to convincing the B1G, PAC and SEC to dump them

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okie35's Avatar
    vCash

I want to get out of the league honestly
    "If you're going to be at Oklahoma, you need to win, you need to contribute, you need to do all the little things to make this team succeed.'" T-Lew

vCash

That's an added benefit to getting another Power 5 to kick members out, or convincing a current member to leave: Then there's a spot open for OU

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

When has a Power 5 conference kicked a school out?

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    Some schools are trying. Cincy, for example, just did a stadium renovation/expansion. Other viable options like BYU and ND just seem to be toying with the Big 12 while enjoying all the perks of being in a conference (i.e. pretending to be a Power 5 program) without the hassle of membership to one.

The only viable options are convincing members of bloated 14-team conferences that it would be better to be in a smaller conference once again. This could be achieved through two means:

1- A top team(s) that wants to be in the Big 12 instead
    2- Top teams kicking out lesser conference members, leaving them searching for a new home.

That latter option seems more realistic. Who will the SEC, B1G, PAC or ACC kick out that could join the Big 12 afterward?

You got it: Ex-Big 12 members. Colorado sucks, Nebraska is no longer AAU and Missouri is hardly a southeastern state, let alone a Southeastern Conference-like program. All three act and play like outsiders and have ever since they switched conferences. About the only benefit to their current situation is that they are out of an unstable Big 12... but if they were to return, it would be more stable, yes?

Since Nebby, Weed Mountain and Safe Space No Media Allowed probably would not come unless their hand is forced, let us turn our attention instead to convincing the B1G, PAC and SEC to dump them
    I think some schools are begging! i.e. Brigham Young, Cincy, Memphis, Cougar High, etc. These schools provide absolutely NOTHING to make Big 12 better! In fact, they would weaken conference significantly. ND ain't going nowhere.

Why would Big 12 want (or need) another conference's rejects? We already have 4 Southwest Conf rejects!

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ddub0224 View Post
    When has a Power 5 conference kicked a school out?
    Never! If it did, we'd have already kicked out Hypocrite U (deadweight)!

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tycat947 View Post
    Never! If it did, we'd have already kicked out Hypocrite U (deadweight)!
    My point exactly. No one is leaving another Power 5 conference for the Big12 nor is anyone getting kicked out. All that talk is ridiculous.

And pretty sure Baylor is not dead weight when you look at the numbers. (sorry to ruin your fantasy about wiping them off the planet)

Sooner Starter
    vCash

My point exactly. No one is leaving another Power 5 conference for the Big12 nor is anyone getting kicked out. All that talk is ridiculous.

And pretty sure Baylor is not dead weight when you look at the numbers. (sorry to ruin your fantasy about wiping them off the planet)
    They were next to last in Ave Attendance in 2015. As far as TV viewers, they were probably in same position in spite of them having a good record for the team.

HOMEATTENDANCE TENDANCE
    G Total Avg High
    Baylor (45,000) 6 276,960 46,160 49,875
    Iowa State (61,500) 6 339,113 56,518 61,500
    Kansas (50,071) 7 190,972 27,282 37,798
    K-State (50,000) 7 371,698 53,100 53,671
    Oklahoma (82,112) 6 512,139 85,357 85,821
    Oklahoma State (60,218) 7 403,677 57,668 59,486
    TCU (45,000) 6 280,604 46,767 48,694
    Texas (100,119) 6 540,210 90,035 94,299
    Texas Tech (60,454) 6 338,042 56,340 61,283
    West Virginia (60,000) 7 383,779 54,826 61,174
    64 3,637,194 56,831 94,299

University of Houston
    BYU

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tycat947 View Post
    They were next to last in Ave Attendance in 2015. As far as TV viewers, they were probably in same position in spite of them having a good record for the team.

HOMEATTENDANCE TENDANCE
    G Total Avg High
    Baylor (45,000) 6 276,960 46,160 49,875
    Iowa State (61,500) 6 339,113 56,518 61,500
    Kansas (50,071) 7 190,972 27,282 37,798
    K-State (50,000) 7 371,698 53,100 53,671
    Oklahoma (82,112) 6 512,139 85,357 85,821
    Oklahoma State (60,218) 7 403,677 57,668 59,486
    TCU (45,000) 6 280,604 46,767 48,694
    Texas (100,119) 6 540,210 90,035 94,299
    Texas Tech (60,454) 6 338,042 56,340 61,283
    West Virginia (60,000) 7 383,779 54,826 61,174
    64 3,637,194 56,831 94,299
    Take OU and Texas out of that list and it's just a Mountain West conference AT BEST. We've got to come up with an exit plan 'cause this ship just isn't sailing no matter who we add.
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by swardboy View Post
    Take OU and Texas out of that list and it's just a Mountain West conference AT BEST. We've got to come up with an exit plan 'cause this ship just isn't sailing no matter who we add.
    Actually, you take OU and texas out, it's not too bad, except for KU. Big 12 is much higher than PAC12 and ACC. Here's clip from 2014 article:

Conference breakdown

SEC: Once again it led the country in attendance, averaging a record 78,018 fans. Aided by expanded stadiums and Tennessee's fan resurgence, the SEC was up 3 percent. Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky and Vanderbilt were the only SEC teams with a decrease.

Big Ten: Average attendance was 66,939, down from 70,431 last year. That's largely because of introducing Maryland and Rutgers attendance figures -- which are below most Big Ten schools -- into the conference average. Nine of the 14 Big Ten schools improved their crowds.

Big 12: There was a slight dip (1 percent) to 57,624 fans per game. Six of 10 Big 12 schools increased crowds. For the second straight year, the Big 12 had its smallest average since 2005.

Pac 12: Crowds dropped 2 percent to 52,758 and they are down 10 percent since peaking in 2007. Pac-12 attendance leader UCLA ranked 19th nationally. Only four of 12 conference schools had an increase: UCLA, Arizona, Utah and Washington State. A couple of schools' decreases were very minor.

ACC: This league again was last among Power Five schools at 50,016, although its average was up 1 percent in the first year Notre Dame played a condensed schedule against the ACC. Fresh off a national championship, Florida State saw its crowds increase by 9 percent. Half of the ACC's teams had their attendance rise.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...st-in-14-years

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

We went from TV markets to now how many people attend games? Who cares!?!?! Based on your statistics, then Iowa St is the third most valuable school to the Big12

This thread was about how to strengthen the conference and you do that with quality play on the field. Which one helps the Big 12 more:
    1) A team that will go sub-500 but fills up a stadium, or
    2) A team that can win 8-10 games, has a winning record in bowl games, and ability to be ranked in the top 25

I'll take Baylor with 40k fans over ______(insert direction) state U who can fill up a larger stadium but will bring down the conference level of play.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

People in Philly want in: Could Big12 invite Temple football?

http://mobile.philly.com/beta?wss=/p...e&id=365006591

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by winout View Post
    People in Philly want in: Could Big12 invite Temple football?

http://mobile.philly.com/beta?wss=/p...e&id=365006591
    If the Big 12 just had to expand Temple should be at the top of the list. Large state school, good TV market and they aren't a directional school or located in Texas.

vCash

Considering that Baylor, OSU, KSU and others like to schedule cream puffs as non-conference foes, let's just cut out the middle man and bring the cream puffs to the Big 12

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Wow, so about half the teams in the American Athletic Conference have now been mentioned!?!? Seriously, this is a conference that had to form itself out of a bunch of leftover teams from other conferences.

What's next? Maybe someone can throw out Wyoming and New Mexico State so that we can expand our "tv geographic exposure" out west too. TV networks couldn't print enough money to show these games on prime time.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Wow, so about half the teams in the American Athletic Conference have now been mentioned!?!? Seriously, this is a conference that had to form itself out of a bunch of leftover teams from other conferences.

What's next? Maybe someone can throw out Wyoming and New Mexico State so that we can expand our "tv geographic exposure" out west too. TV networks couldn't print enough money to show these games on prime time.
    Agree. Just really bad. Dealing with BYU's "we don't play on Sunday" bit for other sports. Houston...I cannot puke enough to give a clear picture of what it would be like to have Houston in the conference. Cincinnati.

F'ing Mizzou sitting over there in the SEC with what would have been our invite if Boren and Castiglione had possessed the nuts to cut Oklahoma State's umbilical cord in 2011.

Awful.

I would honesty take a school as sh*tty as North Texas over either one just for simplicity's sake. BYU will always cause drama because they're accustomed to being the big fish in the small pond. They'd be like a cousin you are always straining to avoid/ignore at family reunions.

Houston has a Joe Jamail-like donor who basically runs the program. Although, he even less polished than now Worm Feed Jamail.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Why don't we ALL join the SEC? That way EVERY school will be in the mighty conference!!!