Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sooner Starter
    vCash

Big XII additions, I present two.

If you want to add to the XII you have to look at major institutions in traditional football areas. Forget the BYU's of the world, not enough people and TVs. There are no major schools left west of us worth pursuing. Forget Texas, too much demand there already. Look to the SE and look for any state school that is not already taken. I present two.

The University of Central Florida is an American public research university in Orlando, Florida. It is the largest university in the United States by undergraduate enrollment. They just hired Scott Frost, former Duck OC, as their coach and appear to be committed to football.

Georgia Southern University is a public research university located on a 900-acre (3.6 km2) campus in Statesboro, Georgia, United States.[3] Founded in 1906, it is part of the University System of Georgia and is the largest center of higher education in the southern half of Georgia.

These would provide natural rivals to WV, location wise.

I would submit that the XII go after these schools, take TV money and help them build larger stadiums.
    I set my DVR to record "The Biggest Loser" and now it records the Longhorn Network all day.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BetterSoonerThanLater's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Big XII additions, I present two.

who?

exactly.

this is bull****

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

GSU's stadium only seats 25,000. Statesboro, GA only has 28,000 population. Trade them for USF in Tampa, with a 65,000 seat stadium and we'd rule Florida!
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by swardboy View Post
    GSU's stadium only seats 25,000. Statesboro, GA only has 28,000 population. Trade them for USF in Tampa, with a 65,000 seat stadium and we'd rule Florida!
    Yeah, I must admit, if we have to expand, I like this idea the best.

Getting those two schools into the XII could catapult them, maybe not as stratospherically but similar to U of M, who was pretty much nothing before the 80s. Florida is certainly a prize state to get a foothold into for the conference.

Honestly, my first choice is for OU to bolt this loser and get into the SEC. Short of that, though, I guess this would be the best of the not nearly as interesting options.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

USF and Fl Atlantic are two viable other options. You really just need schools that are committed to building their program. The higher the attendance the more alumni they have and the better chance of raising funds to build the program needed.

I think the SEC is gone unless they want to build a super-conference. I like this option better and think we can compete with the right additions.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by winout View Post
    USF and Fl Atlantic are two viable other options. You really just need schools that are committed to building their program. The higher the attendance the more alumni they have and the better chance of raising funds to build the program needed.

I think the SEC is gone unless they want to build a super-conference. I like this option better and think we can compete with the right additions.
    Frankly, I assume that's where this ends up.

4 super conferences, with 8-team divisions.

Conference championship between divisions becomes the "round of 8".

Then the 4-team playoff is the winner of each super conference.

XII and ACC were in the battle for that 4th spot, and I believe the ACC won by securing the relationship with ND and the other acquisitions it made. If we could have poached FSU and Clemson, that likely would have tipped the balance. But we balked and/or otherwise faltered, while the ACC struck.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Houston

fball 13-1 beat 4 ranked teams (UCF included)
    bball 12-2 beat lsu, USF, Wyoming, Temple

I KNOW, it's ANOTHER Texas school...guess what we get a ton of recruits from Texas...just like everyone thought bu and tcu would be pushovers in conf..Houston will compete.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

Georgia Southern? No way!

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    Houston

fball 13-1 beat 4 ranked teams (UCF included)
    bball 12-2 beat lsu, USF, Wyoming, Temple

I KNOW, it's ANOTHER Texas school...guess what we get a ton of recruits from Texas...just like everyone thought bu and tcu would be pushovers in conf..Houston will compete.
    We have enough competition. We need new population areas (maybe!) and Cougar High is not it! We have 2 too many TX schools already! NO MORE! We need schools/states that will add to Big 12 viewing range. TCU and Hypocrite U add almost nothing to TV viewership, thus added money to the conference. TCU and Hypocrite U are just sucking onto the Big 12 and drawing a huge paycheck. Two smallest stadiums in Big 12 AND this is after all their so called success and renovation/expansion. They could be 12-0 or 0-12 and it wouldn't affect TV viewership. IF we are to expand we need the POTENTIAL for increased viewership. UCF or USF have more potential than most anyone available but large enrollment isn't everything! University of Phoenix has 213,000 students! We should add them and have them start a football program! They already have stadium!

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by S.PadreIsl.Sooner View Post
    Georgia Southern? No way!
    Can you recommend anyone else? USF valid?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

University of Phoenix has 213,000 students! We should add them and have them start a football program! They already have stadium!
    Bwahahahaha....spek.
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I've been saying we should be eyeing USF and UCF for a while, but then everybody comes out and tells me I'm an idiot.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

The idea that adding schools like USF and UCF will somehow open new recruiting avenues in a meaningful way for existing Big 12 schools is mostly wishful thinking. I hate the thought of bringing commuter schools and directional schools on board. Just can't see how this would in any way help the already diminished luster of the Big 12. There isn't one school that is available east of the Mississippi that brings much prestige or value (as a potential P5 program) to the table. In the east maybe we could add Cincinnati and Memphis and hold our noses. At least the Big 12 would enhance their status as a basketball conference.

If the Big 12 expands I would hope they go West but that isn't likely.

vCash

wow...ucf and usf....geeze

I'd rather join the sec.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    The idea that adding schools like USF and UCF will somehow open new recruiting avenues in a meaningful way for existing Big 12 schools is mostly wishful thinking. I hate the thought of bringing commuter schools and directional schools on board. Just can't see how this would in any way help the already diminished luster of the Big 12. There isn't one school that is available east of the Mississippi that brings much prestige or value (as a potential P5 program) to the table. In the east maybe we could add Cincinnati and Memphis and hold our noses. At least the Big 12 would enhance their status as a basketball conference.

If the Big 12 expands I would hope they go West but that isn't likely.
    There isn't one school PERIOD! Until the NCAA decides that the playoff is going to be 4 conference champions, there is no reason to do anything. OU is going to schedule (out of conference) to give them strength of schedule to compete for the playoff every year. UH and Ohio State next year? That's more than enough. We will take care of ourselves. Adding a Memphis, UCF, USF, etc, is not going to help Big 12 in any significant way. The playoff committee originally said they were going to take the 4 BEST teams. Now, after 2 years, they are saying they are going to take 4 conference champions. If we are Big 12 champs, with our out of conference schedule, we'll make the playoff way more than not IMO.

vCash

well, thank the good Lord bu, tcu and wv won their bowl games. I don't know how IF the big 12 had gone 1-6 that being "Big 12 Champ" would mean jack. Sorry, just my opinion. Ya know the other 4 power conf would be lobbying big time to cut the big 12 out, hell they did it this year.

I think eventually it'll be 4 major conf, 16 teams each...some day.
    Last edited by Soonerjeepman; 1/5/2016 at 12:31 AM.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 WA. Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

Army
    Navy

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

OU needs to prepare to leave the big 12 ...

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I present those 2 show just how shi$$y the big 12 is. OU needs to get the hell out

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ObiKaTony View Post
    OU needs to prepare to leave the big 12 ...
    This. At this point, as watered down as the Big 12 has become, I'd go anywhere else: ACC, Pac-12, or Big 10. It doesn't matter anymore.

I had arguments against all three at one time. But, all arguments are gone now that TCU and West Virginia are here, and the possibility of having Houston and one of the Florida startups in the conference is real. I could never have imagined how far down the totem pole OU and Texas would go to control the pie. It's disgusting to watch it unfold.

We've got people excited about possibly being in a conference with the likes of Houston, Florida Atlantic, Central Florida, South Florida, etc. It's truly pathetic.

Stop fighting a abandon the ship. Choice #1: Pac-12, followed by ACC, then Big 10. I no longer care about the travel or game times. Just get us out.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987