Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

honest question comparing bama to OU

Okay,
    1st...I know "ya can't win them all" but comparing OU to Bama..which I believe most people here think it's a fair comparison..what is it about Bama vs OU that makes them so much better? Seems to me Bama is "winning them all" or at least a lot better than OU is.

Saban 2007 through current (9 years) he is:

99-18
    3 National Championships
    10 wins a season 8 straight years (this is his 9th)
    playing in their 4th national title game, 2nd straight CFP

so the question is, what makes Bama so much better than OU? facilities? location? weather? co-eds? easier classes/degrees? Why are they getting the talent? I've read they have a 5 * soph lineman SITTING and waiting his turn...why?

Just thoughts...
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Re: honest question comparing bama to OU

Saban. Also playing in a league with only a few competent quarterbacks every few years. Those QBs usually beat Bama.

vCash

the same Bama we beat two years ago, and lost in the semifinals last year?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Flagstaffsooner's Avatar
    vCash

They pay their players better.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I think it's just an easier sell to recruit to the SEC than the XII. That and Saban's hard-line style of coaching and managing players probably does result in better play. And I suspect the idea of loyalty doesn't register for Saban, so from coaches down to players you are a number, and you perform or you're turned loose. Just ask yourself: would M. Stoops and Kish still be working for Saban? I think not.

vCash

Greyshirts?
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Greyshirts?
    Got a point here! Kinda reminds of when Switzer would stockpile
    studs at every position, play 'em enough to keep them happy until
    their turn came....

The other thing, as mentioned earlier, the SEC has the glamour,
    better weather for the most part and certainly a large population
    of attractive femininity....

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 dwarthog's Avatar
    vCash

There is fairly high concentration of top recruits in that area, South East, so it's close to home for a lot of them which can mean quite a bit for family traveling to see them play and how comfortable they are when making that 1st move away from home.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Greyshirts?
    Just another example of Saban treating players (and coaches I'm sure) as commodities.

Hard to argue that it doesn't work, but I have to admit it's not what I would want at OU. Guess I want my cake and have it too.

Although, I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more Saban hard-line when it came to coaches. I think last year was the first time Stoops really took a step toward that, but would he do the same with Kish, or especially Mike? Saban would. Bob, I suspect, not so much.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    the same Bama we beat two years ago, and lost in the semifinals last year?
    Yeah the same one...that in about half the time (9 years vs 17 years) has won 3 out of 4 NC vs 1 out of 4 ...8 out of 9 straight 10+ winning seasons.

Say and believe what ya want but stats don't lie. The point is WHY is bama getting better players if you believe Stoops = Saban?

*Stoops has a ton of accolades, I think he's a great coach, gald he is OU's coach...just wondering why Bama is so much more attractive to players than OU.

Go ahead with the typical smarta$$ answer vs really trying to contribute.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dwarthog View Post
    There is fairly high concentration of top recruits in that area, South East, so it's close to home for a lot of them which can mean quite a bit for family traveling to see them play and how comfortable they are when making that 1st move away from home.
    I can see this, especially if the families are not "rich". It takes time and money to travel, even if ya get free tickets from your kid

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sabanball's Avatar
    vCash

Recruiting is a big part of it, I think, along with facilities-- only Oregon has better. I also think the game day atmosphere that we have and provide on campus is a major selling point which many recruits and their families cite regularly as another reason. we're also fortunate to have a beautiful campus. And, like you guys, we have a great tradition.
    Oklahoma will begin working with the Pacific Institute after the 2009 season.

"(Oklahoma coach) Bob Stoops' words to me were, 'I want exactly what Alabama got,'" Institute instructor Antowaine Richardson said.

The University of Alabama --All-Time leader with 10 AP NC's in the modern era and back-to-back AP NC's 3 times (64/65, 78/79, 11/12)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okie35's Avatar
    vCash

Recruiting easily ... We haven't had a top 5 class since 2005... Also they play a level of competition we don't in the trenches... We need to start recruiting more physical offensive and defensive linemen not to say that we don't have any now I just mean consistently
    "If you're going to be at Oklahoma, you need to win, you need to contribute, you need to do all the little things to make this team succeed.'" T-Lew

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    Yeah the same one...that in about half the time (9 years vs 17 years) has won 3 out of 4 NC vs 1 out of 4 ...8 out of 9 straight 10+ winning seasons.

Say and believe what ya want but stats don't lie. The point is WHY is bama getting better players if you believe Stoops = Saban?

*Stoops has a ton of accolades, I think he's a great coach, gald he is OU's coach...just wondering why Bama is so much more attractive to players than OU.

Go ahead with the typical smarta$$ answer vs really trying to contribute.
    You could just cut the "woe is me" act

You think things might have been different if Walker played, or if Perine and Mixon aren't hurt for the 2nd half?

vCash

You think things might have been different if Walker played, or if Perine and Mixon aren't hurt for the 2nd half?
    Yes, definitely.

But one thing that wouldn't have been different is the interior of our O-line getting manhandled.

I'll just call it like I see it: both coordinators failed to accommodate our schematic weaknesses, defense considerably more than offense. I question whether M. Stoops is even capable of doing such, whereas I think Riley it was just a bit of his greenness showing.

That said, you have to be impressed with 'Bama's streak under Saban. He's doing something right with respect to winning, and doing it consistently, and (for the most part) winning the games that matter. But I'll say again, I don't think I would want OU doing those same things, other than I'd like to see us in the SEC and have our conference association be an asset. I feel like each year that rolls by, the headwinds created by the XII are strengthening. Each year it will be more of a burden to overcome, and absolutely doesn't help us as something to offer recruits.

vCash

Lol...woe is me? Really? Didnt say a thing about that...but again instead of actually giving any valuable thought you continue ...

I never said a word about our game against CLEMSON...comparing Bama with OU.

Jeeze you're dense sometimes.

Honestly...no, maybe not beat by 20, but I think we still lose.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

A lot of our resurgence has been because we are signing more players (we've had full classes the last 4 years). We are still 8 behind Alabama (1/3 of a class) in the last 5, but I expect to see us continue to sign 25 regardless from now on out.

vCash

Saban is a better coach than Stoops.

Saban has a much better coaching staff than Stoops.

Bama signs 4 and 5 star players -every year.

OU has been signing 3 and 4 star players for the past several years.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    Lol...woe is me? Really? Didnt say a thing about that...but again instead of actually giving any valuable thought you continue ...

I never said a word about our game against CLEMSON...comparing Bama with OU.

Jeeze you're dense sometimes.

Honestly...no, maybe not beat by 20, but I think we still lose.
    it's not Bama, it's Saban, and Meyer

something about evaluating talent, recruiting it and luck. and oversigning doesn't hurt.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

In no particular order

Alabama is the historic flagship program of the SEC
    SEC has been more forward thinking and is a PR juggernaut
    SEC up-rise has followed population increases in the Southeast
    Alabama sits in the middle of the most fertile recruiting area in the USA
    SEC has created an 'All for One and One for All' identity......which means.....
    Schools in SEC region are considered by many recruits to be distinguished more by SEC membership than state identity
    Saban is one of the best college coaches of all time and will use all available advantages afforded to him like Grey-shirting and......
    Grey-shirting has been rampant
    Saban will run off players who don't live up to expectations.
    Momentum - success breeds success
    Last edited by SoonerorLater; 1/3/2016 at 09:34 PM.