vCash

Tears of my enemy: Stillwater News Press:OU-OSU bummer: Cowboys blown out by Sooners

http://www.stwnewspress.com/sports/O...de9d11493.html

OU-OSU bummer: Cowboys blown out by Sooners

University of Oklahoma running back Samaje Perine, left, runs through a tackle attempt by Oklahoma State linebacker Chad Whitener while on his way to a rushing touchdown during Saturday's OU-OSU game at Boone Pickens Stadium.

The OU-OSU to end all OU-OSUs didn’t finish the way Oklahoma State fans hoped.

With an outright conference title on the line, a first in the series, and College Football Playoff implications abound, the 2015 OU-OSU matchup was pinned as the biggest OU-OSU ever and as the biggest game in Boone Pickens Stadium’s young history.

But Oklahoma took hold of the game early and pulled away with a 58-23 win.

“They outcoached us and outplayed us,” OSU coach Mike Gundy said. “I didn’t do a good job of getting our guys ready to play.

“They made plays when they needed to and we didn’t.”

With the win, the No. 3 Sooners clinch the Big 12 title and likely lock up a spot in the College Football Playoff.

The No. 11 Cowboys (10-2, 7-2) were without the services of quarterback Mason Rudolph, who warmed up pregame, was in full uniform the entire contest and played one series at the 3:52 mark in the second quarter. Rudolph, clearly not himself, went 0 for 3 with one interception, which was returned for a touchdown by OU’s Jordan Thomas.

“We didn’t feel that Mason was healthy enough to play the game full speed and protect himself,” Gundy said. “He wasn’t comfortable throwing the football, in my opinion.”

J.W. Walsh started in Rudolph’s place. He completed 25 of 42 passes for 325 and two touchdowns. He also rushed for 50 yards on 12 carries, which led the team.

“We like J.W. and what he brought to the table,” Gundy said. “We feel comfortable with what we can do with him (on offense),” Gundy said.

James Washington led the Cowboys in receiving with seven catches for 169 yards and one touchdown.

OU’s Baker Mayfield, making the start at quarterback after sitting out the second half of last week’s game with a concussion, threw for 180 yards on 17 of 25 passing and two touchdowns. On the ground, Mayfield had 77 yards on 11 attempts.

The Oklahoma offense overwhelmed the Cowboys starting around the midway point of the first quarter.

The Cowboys scored first on a 43-yard field by Ben Grogan with 6:49 left in the first quarter. Walsh found Jhajuan Seales from 26 yards out to give the Cowboys a 10-7 lead with 4:36 left in the first quarter.

It was all OU from there.

The Sooners scored 28-straight points before Walsh hooked up with James Washington for 72 yards and a score with 6:41 left in the half. Scoring for the Sooners were Samaje Perine on a 68-yard run, a Joe Mixon on a 66-yard run, Dimitri Flowers on a 5-yard pass from Mayfield and Thomas’ interception return.

By that point, the rout was on and the Cowboys were trailing 34-17. The Sooners would score 10 more points before Grogan ended the half with a 21-yard field goal. OU led 44-20 at halftime.

Second half scoring included a Grogan 21-yard field goal, Mayfield 5-yard rush in the third quarter and a Mixon 6-yard run late in the fourth.

The Sooners managed 524 yards of total offense, 344 of which was on the ground. As a team, OU averaged 8.2 yards per rush. Mixon finished with 136 yards on the ground and Perine had 131.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Soonerfan88's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Tears of my enemy: Stillwater News Press:OU-OSU bummer: Cowboys blown out by Soon

I've seen and heard a lot from osu fans about not having to face Rudolph. I actually think Walsh gave them a better chance. At least Walsh provides a QB run option, which is all the running game they have. Although Walsh was hurried most of the night, he was able to get rid of the ball or at least pick up a yard or so by scrambling. Can you imagine how many sacks Striker & Tapper would have gotten against Rudolph? OSU would have had lost so much yardage, they wouldn't have made as many 1st down as they did.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Tears of my enemy: Stillwater News Press:OU-OSU bummer: Cowboys blown out by Soon

Baylor and TCU could make the same argument.

After seeing OUr team lose games because Jason White couldn't throw and DeMarco Murray couldn't play, I can't get too worked up over any other team that sees a key player go down.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Last year we had to use OUr backup qb vs. the Pukes and ended up losing by 3 in a game we should have won.This year Neon Orange State plays without their starter and gets beat by 35. I feel so sorry for them.
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

vCash

**** em, let em cry!
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Saving the World one Power plant at a Time
    vCash

I guess I don't read that our coaches were crying Mason wasn't playing. Obviously it was a big deal that he wasn't out there to our offense, but the way our LBs played it didn't matter what we did offensively.
    OKLAHOMA STATE WRESTLING: 34 Team National Championships, 137 Individual National Champions, 48 Conference Championships, 435 All-Americans, 41 Olympians, NCAA Record 84 Straight Wins

OU FOOTBALL: 7 National Championships, 45 Conference Championships, 153 All-Americans, Zero Olympians, NCAA Record 47 Straight Wins

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyMRW View Post
    I guess I don't read that our coaches were crying Mason wasn't playing. Obviously it was a big deal that he wasn't out there to our offense, but the way our LBs played it didn't matter what we did offensively.
    Re-read the post by Soonerfan88-he does not say the OSU coaches were crying about Mason; the OSU fans were complaining and using his absence as an excuse. And to follow up on Stoopified who pointed out that our QB starter of last season was absent from last season's game...we were also missing Sterling Shepard for that game and half the season.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 oupride's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jacie View Post
    Baylor and TCU could make the same argument.

After seeing OUr team lose games because Jason White couldn't throw and DeMarco Murray couldn't play, I can't get too worked up over any other team that sees a key player go down.
    BIG 10.4, BACK-ATCHA!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

It's funny. Orange aggie is delusional about being "on the rise" while maroon aggie is delusional about being one of the big boys. The difference being, I guess, a trio of dubious championships, two of which were retroactively claimed and also claimed by Notre Dame, Harvard (lol), and Georgia; with the third also being claimed by USC. All of them date to before the close of WW2. Which, unless we're talking about vampires or quasi-military nonagenarians who despite being 18, did not volunteer to fight in the War, none of them have ever had anything but the delusion to hang onto.

Begs an interesting question though. Which aggie is more hilarious? Aggies who delude themselves that their stagnant program is going somewhere....someday or aggies who delude themselves that their program is (or ever has been) worth a damn?
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

vCash

all i know is that i can't remember the last time we won in Stillwater without it being in doubt in the 4th quarter, maybe 2008 but they were still hanging around pretty late in that game

every other time i've been up there, it's been a dog fight, except in 2011 when they just pounded us

this was probably the biggest game up there in forever, probably ever, and it was savage. it was amazing to see.

it was like one of those crazy Texas games when we are both supposed to be good, but we end up getting some breaks early and it just pours on.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoopified View Post
    Last year we had to use OUr backup qb vs. the Pukes and ended up losing by 3 in a game we should have won.This year Neon Orange State plays without their starter and gets beat by 35. I feel so sorry for them.
    Hear hear! That upset oughta hold them for 10 years or so.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.