Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Am I the only one that wants the 4 seed?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    What, that Bama would have killed us too? Nothing about either of Bama's game will change my opinion about that. The only team we could have beat was MSU and it wouldn't have been easy.
    I don't think we beat either team, but if given the opportunity to play Clemson in Florida, or an Alabama team (that doesn't have a running QB) in Dallas...that's a fairly simple decision for me. I want nothing to do with Clemson's coaching staff.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    I don't think we beat either team, but if given the opportunity to play Clemson in Florida, or an Alabama team (that doesn't have a running QB) in Dallas...that's a fairly simple decision for me. I want nothing to do with Clemson's coaching staff.
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't for me. Bama made almost zero mistakes in both playoff games and we are not nearly that disciplined. And that's when they pour it on just like they did against MSU. We'll never know, but I think it would have been uglier against Bama because at least Clemson does make mistakes here and there and that's how we stayed in it for a half.

It doesn't seem we can get the depth of trench players as these 2 teams to come to Norman, but we can play more disciplined with the guys we have. No jumping off-sides, no dumb personal flags after the play is over, etc. I think I was as impressed with that as the level of talent - that's good coaching and there is no reason we can't do that.

vCash

It doesn't seem we can get the depth of trench players as these 2 teams to come to Norman
    Agreed on that. Our front-7 certainly wasn't as good as Clemson or Alabama's, but I'm not convinced it wasn't good enough to win a championship. I think depth was the real issue, as I believe it would have been a one score game against Clemson had Evans and Walker been healthy. Obviously Clemson lost Lawson early, so it's not like we were robbed. I just think it's our backups that are the issue moreso than our starters.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Agreed on that. Our front-7 certainly wasn't as good as Clemson or Alabama's, but I'm not convinced it wasn't good enough to win a championship. I think depth was the real issue, as I believe it would have been a one score game against Clemson had Evans and Walker been healthy. Obviously Clemson lost Lawson early, so it's not like we were robbed. I just think it's our backups that are the issue moreso than our starters.
    That's just the defense - I was more talking about our O-line. We would not have been able to run the ball against any of the playoff teams including MSU. I only think we could have beaten MSU because their offense is not very dynamic and I think Mayfield and the passing game would have prevailed. Bama would have stuffed our running game even worse than Clemson did and they play tighter, more physical coverage on the back-end. Shep would have been the only guy that could have gotten open consistently. That doesn't leave many tools to work with.

But we're talking about 2 really good teams here and I think better than the top 2 in several seasons. The Saban-Bama era is going to be looked back on as one of the best dynasties in CFB - maybe the best. We clearly need to step up a level to compete in the CFP and I really think we have a chance next year.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JLEW1818's Avatar
    vCash

How was I wrong? Bama was the best team and would have destroyed us too.

E,
    Anytime you want to meet let me know. Name the place bro. No joke. You need your *** kicked so bad.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JLEW1818 View Post
    E,
    Anytime you want to meet let me know. Name the place bro. No joke. You need your *** kicked so bad.
    Hahahahahaha!

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

That's just the defense - I was more talking about our O-line. We would not have been able to run the ball against any of the playoff teams including MSU. I only think we could have beaten MSU because their offense is not very dynamic and I think Mayfield and the passing game would have prevailed. Bama would have stuffed our running game even worse than Clemson did and they play tighter, more physical coverage on the back-end. Shep would have been the only guy that could have gotten open consistently. That doesn't leave many tools to work with.

But we're talking about 2 really good teams here and I think better than the top 2 in several seasons. The Saban-Bama era is going to be looked back on as one of the best dynasties in CFB - maybe the best. We clearly need to step up a level to compete in the CFP and I really think we have a chance next year.
    All my sources kept telling me that after all the film review OU was going to be able to expose a lot of broken coverages by Clemson's secondary. After the loss they have also told me BM was deer in headlights and got confused. Riley was trying to run a lot of up tempo but BM was slowing it down because he was confused trying to make the pre snap reads. STOP BLAMING THIS LOSS ON OUR O-LINE!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by #8soon View Post
    All my sources kept telling me that after all the film review OU was going to be able to expose a lot of broken coverages by Clemson's secondary. After the loss they have also told me BM was deer in headlights and got confused. Riley was trying to run a lot of up tempo but BM was slowing it down because he was confused trying to make the pre snap reads. STOP BLAMING THIS LOSS ON OUR O-LINE!!!!
    No - and ALL CAPS doesn't impress me (unless you did it old school without the caps lock key).

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

No - and ALL CAPS doesn't impress me (unless you did it old school without the caps lock key).
    Yes, BoulderSooner79. If you talk to the guys inside the program, that is what they'll tell you. Why is that so hard for you to believe? Didn't you watch bama do the exact thing I am talking about (busted coverages)

Of course last month I was telling you that if Bake couldn't go that Cody was going to get the nod and you didn't believe that either. I guess just keep your head in the sand.....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by #8soon View Post
    Yes, BoulderSooner79. If you talk to the guys inside the program, that is what they'll tell you. Why is that so hard for you to believe? Didn't you watch bama do the exact thing I am talking about (busted coverages)

Of course last month I was telling you that if Bake couldn't go that Cody was going to get the nod and you didn't believe that either. I guess just keep your head in the sand.....
    I've watched the line all year and said it would be the reason we dropped a game down the stretch. I thought it would be in-conference, but it was clear against Clemson too. And if you paid any attention to the thread, which you didn't, I said we wouldn't be able to *run* the ball against Clemson because of the O-line and we couldn't. Without an effective run game, there was too much pressure on BM and the passing game to be effective overall. What I didn't expect, is for Clemson to be able to run it against us as well as they did - especially in the first half when we should have been fresh. So, I'm not saying it was just the O-line that was the weakness - it was a total team effort. Old cliches exist for a reason and the one about running the ball and stopping the run is backed by history. We could do neither, which leads to a very low probability of winning even if you do have some fancy busted coverage trick up your sleeve. And yes, I realize BM did not have a great game even while resting my head in the sand - but he often didn't have much time either.