Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Could there be another shake up among the CFP teams?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I don't know what you base that on as the committee has only 1 year of history. I had no issue with their final 4 last year.
    TCU was one of the 4 best teams in the country last year, and even with winning their final game convincingly they dropped from 3 to 6. Made no sense.

We'll see how it all shakes out, but I fully expect the B10 champ to jump us. Based on resume, we should be above 'Bama.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerMarkVA View Post
    TCU was one of the 4 best teams in the country last year, and even with winning their final game convincingly they dropped from 3 to 6. Made no sense.
    It made sense to me. The committee uses a combination of best team + most deserving. They thought that TCU was the best team in the big12, but they were never going to rank them above Baylor if Baylor won the conference. On the final weekend, Baylor won the conference by any rational definition since they won the head to head over TCU. So they didn't drop TCU arbitrarily - they dropped them below Baylor because Baylor became the most deserving. So the real question was whether Baylor would make the playoff and they didn't for other reasons. TCU was doomed the day they lost to Baylor unless Baylor stumbled.

Now you could say it made no sense for the committee to put TCU in the #3 place holder during the intermediate weeks and I'd say you have a point. But the final rankings made perfect sense.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    Yeah, I just noticed their schedule. It's tough to discount beating Clemson, but two FCS teams is pretty shameful.
    VERY shameful and they should be penalized for it. Teach these teams a lesson.
    Alabama playing Charleston Southern (who?!?!!) is embarrassing to college football. Especially late in the season like it was.

vCash

i'd also like to thank Tennessee for not imploding after we beat them...

ended up 8-4 and lost those 4 by a combined 17 points to OU, Bama, Florida and Arkansas, with our win by 7 being the largest margin

i'm thinking we played them at the right time, kinda like FSU

vCash

Hmmm. I don't see why Iowa would jump ahead of OU. If anything, there could be an argument for OU moving up to #2 over Bama as we had a dominant win over previous top 10 team and Bama struggled for a while over a 6-5 Auburn. I doubt it happens because Bama did dominant in the stats columns and OSU was without their primary, passing QB.

Most likely final:
    Clemson
    Bama
    OU
    MSU/Iowa winner (I put MSU first as the favorite)

I could see Iowa jumping us and dropping us to #4 if they win since they will be undefeated. I don't see that happening if MSU wins.

If Clemson is upset, things get more interesting. I would see Stanford being next up with 2 losses, but they have to beat USC next week. And I don't like those rematch situation for the team the won the first time around. If both Clemson and Stanford lose, I think tOSU sneaks in again at #4 just like last year.
    [tinfoil hat]They'll shuffle teams around in the final rankings to setup preferred semi final / final game scenarios [/tinfoil hat]
    “If a team is to reach its potential, each player must be willing to subordinate his personal goals to the good of the team.”

Bud Wilkinson

vCash

i'm thinking we're either #2 or #4, assuming Clemson wins

if we are #3 then the #2 team has to play a lower ranked team in their back yard, because if Clemson wins, they are going to be in Miami, playing #4

i can see them arbitrarily putting us at #4 to even out the bracket.

so basicially, i don't think we are in Dallas unless we break the top 2

vCash

i like our chances against any of them, really, but i like those chances more in Arlington

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonerboomer93 View Post
    [tinfoil hat]They'll shuffle teams around in the final rankings to setup preferred semi final / final game scenarios [/tinfoil hat]
    That seems to be the assumption here - that match-ups and venue will impact the final ranking. It's the tail wagging the dog, but I suppose the committee has ultimate power. If that's what they tried to do last year, it was a big Phail. FSU had played the least inspired football of the 4 and the Ducks had so many injuries at the skill positions, they couldn't be a full strength. It was obvious (to me) that the real championship was the tOSU/Bama semi and that's the way it play out. It would have been better as the final.

vCash

I don't think the Sooners have any team and certainly not Clemson to be intimidated by. I think their worst matchup, would be 'bama because of that defensive line.

However, this season has been a progression and they've done very well, to address/adjust to weaknesses. Our offensive line, is vastly superior to what started the season. Our backs are really helping out blocking. The whole system is dependent on guys picking up their assignments. Last year, they went through the motions. This year, they're engaged.

This is a special team. Its still going to take an excellent game plan, and adjustments. Its going to take, staying healthy... but they have a nice long time to rest now. Its going to take some luck. But, I think they're the best team right now. Throw out the stupid loss to texas, which is never a gimme game, regardless of ranking... and OU would probably be locked solid in at #1, regardless of what everyone else had done. Strong season against a lot of decent/strong teams.

vCash

I definitely think we would be ranked #1 by the committee if we were 12-0. They put us at #3 last week before winning the conference and after barely squeaking by TCU. That was a shocker to me. And all this love has my spidey senses on full alert - I vividly recall the '03 season when the BCS and media were slobbering all over OU after finishing the regular season 11-0. Gak!

vCash

They put us at #3 last week before winning the conference and after barely squeaking by TCU. That was a shocker to me. And all this love has my spidey senses on full alert
    +1
    I mean I understand and agree with the "big" jump, but I always assume the powers that be don't ever think like I do.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

Ohio State's only chance to crash the party is for a clemson win and a bama loss. No other game impacts their chances.

Stanford? I don't see any way in for them.

No other team is in the conversation.

vCash

I'm almost certain Clemson is done if they lose. Bama too. That leaves two spots.

Does Florida get in over Stanford at that point? Ohio State?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    I'm almost certain Clemson is done if they lose. Bama too. That leaves two spots.

Does Florida get in over Stanford at that point? Ohio State?
    I think Bama would be with 2 losses, but I could easily see a 1-loss Clemson, losing to a 1-loss NC, drop to #4.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Please go to any ESPN article that mentions that Ohio State is potentially out of the playoffs. The comments are wonderful.

For example...
    http://espn.go.com/ncf/story/_/id/14...-playoff-fates

I know Florida State seemingly got a free pass to the playoffs for being the defending national champs last year... but they were also conference champs and undefeated. Ohio State will be neither.

How bout them bloating big boy 14 team conferences now? You'll never got a chance to un-undefeat Iowa, because you'll never play them. If only you lost to a sh!tty non-conference creampuff instead of a conference team. Hell, if only you lost to a sh!tty conference team in the other division of your conference instead of your next door neighbor...aggie-lite version.

It really is a cruel world, Ohio State. But at least they'll be leaving out team #5 (you) instead of team #3 (us).

vCash

Not everyone gets to keep playing, no matter how unfair it feels or how you were once able to hold that spot in your hands, only to see it slip away like it was being handled by Notre Dame in the red zone.
    ROTFL!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Salt City Sooner View Post
    A ton of the talking heads I've heard so far have said that they wouldn't be shocked if a 2 loss Stanford got in over UNC due in large part to A) UNC losing to a 3-9 team, & B ) UNC's schedule (they played 2 FCS teams).
    You forgot that they have more direct representation on the CFP committee than 3 of the 5 P5 conferences combined.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalBigRed View Post
    I don't think the Sooners have any team and certainly not Clemson to be intimidated by. I think their worst matchup, would be 'bama because of that defensive line.

However, this season has been a progression and they've done very well, to address/adjust to weaknesses. Our offensive line, is vastly superior to what started the season. Our backs are really helping out blocking. The whole system is dependent on guys picking up their assignments. Last year, they went through the motions. This year, they're engaged.

This is a special team. Its still going to take an excellent game plan, and adjustments. Its going to take, staying healthy... but they have a nice long time to rest now. Its going to take some luck. But, I think they're the best team right now. Throw out the stupid loss to texas, which is never a gimme game, regardless of ranking... and OU would probably be locked solid in at #1, regardless of what everyone else had done. Strong season against a lot of decent/strong teams.
    Ohio State is our worst matchup

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi View Post
    Ohio State is our worst matchup
    Worse than Bama? I figure any dominant front 7 on D might expose our O-line and the 2 FR tackles. Would tOSU's offense present more problems than Bama's? Given that tOSU has 1 quality win and didn't even win their division, they should have little chance to get in.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

I don't care what number we are as long as we're in. If you want to make us #4, we can just pretend that we were actually #1 in the 1-4 pairing