Thread: Kudos to Parker

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Kudos to Parker

Everyone seems to talk about Patterson's decision to go for 2 instead of OT, but no one mentions the play by Parker. This is the kind of highlight reel play that players dream about! He's caught in no man's land on whether to drop in coverage or rush the QB. He makes the split second decision to rush and times his jump perfectly and saves the game. I think Parker will have many big plays in his OU career, but when he looks back, this will be one of the biggest ones.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Kudos to Parker

If we win the NC this year it will go down as a Derrick Strait type play against boone, or Torrance v. A&m. Plays like that tend to become historic moments, ie Sooner Magic.

Cmon man, #8 is calling.
    Last edited by birddog; 11/23/2015 at 05:04 PM.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I haven't talked about that play specifically, but I've given Parker huge credit for the defensive turn-around after ut, that his switch to safety permanently and the emergence of W. Johnson as a very good nickel have been the primary reason our defense became drastically better. I've also said, and will say again, that he's the best defensive back since Tony Jefferson and easily he could become the best since TRRW before he's done. I can't say enough about how much I appreciate his play overall.

vCash

I met his dad in Tulsa about an hour or so before the game on Saturday
    I was wearing an OU jacket and he approached me and asked if I went to OU and played football there, told him yes to the former and I wish on the latter. (I guess I look like a football player!)
    He told me he was feeling sick and couldn't make the game. He showed me his ID lol.

CSB

vCash

I didn't realize Parker played basketball at Jenks... nice vertical leap and a fingertips block of the 2 pt conversion pass.

It's been 40 years since I lived in Oklahoma... how was Jenks' basketball team?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

guess I'm going to rain on the parade...lol Yes, it was a great play BUT, if I remember right the qb was NOT going to make it into the endzone, at least 2 if not 3 guys were closing in on him.

Now on the other side, if I remember right, Sanchez was about a yard away but closer to the line behind parker but possibly could have defender the pass.

Guess I see it as more Sooner Magic, if he doesn't time it perfectly of the qb pumps, it might have been good, but then Sanchez might have been there as well to defend

I don't think there was anyway the qb was running in...

but I'm old so I might not be remembering it quite right.

Bottom line is, it worked...so yes what a stud! lol
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    guess I'm going to rain on the parade...lol Yes, it was a great play BUT, if I remember right the qb was NOT going to make it into the endzone, at least 2 if not 3 guys were closing in on him.

Now on the other side, if I remember right, Sanchez was about a yard away but closer to the line behind parker but possibly could have defender the pass.

Guess I see it as more Sooner Magic, if he doesn't time it perfectly of the qb pumps, it might have been good, but then Sanchez might have been there as well to defend

I don't think there was anyway the qb was running in...

but I'm old so I might not be remembering it quite right.

Bottom line is, it worked...so yes what a stud! lol
    Parker was asked in the press conference today, looking at the play on film, what he noticed that he didn't notice when it happened. He laughed and said he saw how close Jordan Evans was to making a play on the QB, that he thought he was the only one in position to get to him during action. So he just wasn't aware of the other defenders and made a highlight-reel play out of it!

vCash

ah, good then I DO remember! lol

It was really cool way to end it, except my heart, but after initial WTF are you doing Parker scream...I realized it was dead either way.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

after seeing some pictures, he got more air than i realized at the time

if he bolts up the middle instead, i don't think we catch him

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    after seeing some pictures, he got more air than i realized at the time

if he bolts up the middle instead, i don't think we catch him
    nope, watch replay, Evans is with him from about 6 yard line on...right on his A$$. Actually Sanchez came off his guy as well and that guy was wide open. Would have been a tough throw with the qb running one way then throwing back against his momentum. I also notice Sanchez wasn't close enough to defend pass.

So, yes timely play by Parker BUT if both Parker and Sanchez stay on their guys, Evans would have tackled the qb before he barely crossed the 5 yard line.

BELIEVE me, not dissing Parker, good thing he has some ups...but there was no way the qb was running it in.

vCash

Man, people would p.iss on a leprechaun that just told them where to find the pot of gold.

1) Evans was a step behind, but had the angle, so no, the QB was not going to run it in. He wasn't trying to at that point, he was buying time for someone to come open. But Sanchez had abandoned his coverage and #1 was open and standing in the lower left part of the ending "A" in "Oklahoma". If Parker doesn't charge the QB and limit his time, he might have thrown there. Parker's guy was standing right on the goal line with Parker slightly to the field side. It was not a good target for the QB, so the WR wheels back toward the back of the end zone. Parker either had to wheel back and try to cover or charge the QB. If he wheels back, he loses sight of the QB and the ball and the QB could throw it right by him. Remember how Mayfield stepped back and found Flowers for a TD in the Baylor game last week? If their QB steps back, he would have had plenty of time with at least 2 receivers open because Evans was going full speed laterally to close the step and could not have pressured the throw right away. But Parker was coming straight at the QB, so he would not have been able to step back - he forced the QB to throw *NOW* and timed his jump accordingly.

2) Why the heck does it even matter about the details? At a critical moment, a Sooner player made a decisive and athletic play and literally preserved a win and kept a conference title on the table. I'm struggling to justify criticism here.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    nope, watch replay, Evans is with him from about 6 yard line on...right on his A$$. Actually Sanchez came off his guy as well and that guy was wide open. Would have been a tough throw with the qb running one way then throwing back against his momentum. I also notice Sanchez wasn't close enough to defend pass.

So, yes timely play by Parker BUT if both Parker and Sanchez stay on their guys, Evans would have tackled the qb before he barely crossed the 5 yard line.

BELIEVE me, not dissing Parker, good thing he has some ups...but there was no way the qb was running it in.
    i don't mean instead of throwing when he did, i mean at the snap. i think it was like 5 on 2 or something in the middle of the field

this is what i'm talking about:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...sion-patterson

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

Add the play by Parker to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L971-MaGlqM

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Trusting his instincts, is what he said. Good looking kid, and seems to be very smart. Defense looks to be awesome next year. Just need someone to take Tapper's and Striker's place.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

^ Now I'm depressed.
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010