SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Goodbye Coach Rhoades

Iowa State canned Paul Rhoades today. I'm mildly surprised since I thought Iowa State improved after the Mangino affair. Guess it was a "rockier Rhoade" than I imagined.

Can't wait for Badge to post a coaching changes thread at the end of the year. Some major changes ahead.
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Goodbye Coach Rhoades

I thought Badger had started such a thread.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Yeah, that's an odd move. They seemed to be on the cusp this year of being much more competitive.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    You're right! It was three pages back. the beheadings started early this year.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerMarkVA View Post
    Yeah, that's an odd move. They seemed to be on the cusp this year of being much more competitive.
    well, when ya blow a 21 pt lead to winless ksu...losing 3 fumbles in 3 straight possessions...they let him cut mangino but that wasn't enough
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

Welp, it is too bad about Rhoades...although it is probably a correct move.
    Rhoades should have tossed Mangino after last year...guy is a cancer...read
    his tweets. Issue with ISU is Iowa...can't recruit against Fry and the legend.
    Ferentz is overrated and most assuredly overpaid. He is 11-0 with a cupcake
    schedule, so the state thinks he is walking on water...hard to think where/who
    ISU will go...I'm not so sure that ISU shouldn't take a hard look at FCS, even
    though the enrollment is more than IU...

Having said all that they have four kids at skill that will good in the years to come.
    If they can get some to help on D, they will compete....

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    well, when ya blow a 21 pt lead to winless ksu...losing 3 fumbles in 3 straight possessions...they let him cut mangino but that wasn't enough
    I did say on the cusp

ISU failed to close on a number of games where they, by all rights, should have won if they'd just finished well. Learning to close is as much learning how to win, and think of yourselves as winners, as anything else--avoid getting anxiety from prosperity. I think he was right there. I bet next year would have been a big leap for them. Now, they'll be starting over, and ISU isn't a place where "fresh start" means something good's gonna happen.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

I think since they expanded their stadium, they can't afford to keep a good 'ol local guy. I expect them to try to entice a pretty good "Other 5" head coach (i.e. Fuente, Houston coach, etc) or a well known top assistant from P5 school (like Chizik in the past).

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

ISU is a mixed bag. Rhoades went there and must have signed a "one miracle win/year" deal with the devil (this years's was sa*et). The only way a coach with any experience would go there is if he was at the end of the line and had no other offer. Their best bet is to get an assistant first-timer, one with a good recruiting record to go with some X's & O's skill. I hope they find a good hire. What the Big XII does not need now is another Kansas.

vCash

Amen

Sooner Starter
    vCash

I don't see them doing any better. Good luck with your next coach. He's gonna need it...
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jacie View Post
    ISU is a mixed bag. Rhoades went there and must have signed a "one miracle win/year" deal with the devil (this years's was sa*et). The only way a coach with any experience would go there is if he was at the end of the line and had no other offer. Their best bet is to get an assistant first-timer, one with a good recruiting record to go with some X's & O's skill. I hope they find a good hire. What the Big XII does not need now is another Kansas.
    The drums are beating for a top flight coordinator...two names...Briles and Riley..
    the thought is that an offensive whiz will come since the last three have all been
    on the defensive side of the ball. My belief is that Pollard did it now to 1. make
    the last game an emotional one for the team(they really care for Rhoads) and
    2. to accelerate the job hunt. Pollard will not waste time.

Briles has already applied for the North Texas job...ISU is a better job. I don't
    think Riley (hope and pray) will come. I expect a lower tier successful head
    coach to take it, get some early success with some good kids already on the
    team and then bolt to a different "opportunity" (Chizit comes to mind)...some
    names being kicked around...Babers at Bowling Green...Carey at N. Illinois..
    Fuente at Memphis...Wells at Utah State. All those are HC's. One other O-
    coordinator is Scott Frost at Oregon.

Rhoads will take some time off, spend the $4.6m buyout and then hook up
    with a lower tier program.

vCash

Riley is in a plum position and would get a great starting HC job if he stays the course here and succeeds. He would have to prove he can recruit and develop players and be instrumental in developing and managing position coaches. But there are always risks to waiting because a team can have down years outside of his control and a decent job could pass him by. But even if that happens, a team that is serious in their vetting process would understand what a coach has done even if the football gods have been cruel. I hope Riley takes the long view of accomplishing something here and doesn't grab for something shiny, but deadend.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Yeah, I just haven't updated it in a few weeks. The coaching axes started early this season; even before the season started (Illinois). I'll get it updated soon, promise