Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knight

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Knight

Once the season started and Mayfield became the man, what did Knight have to look forward to, mop up duty in blowout wins which he has to split that with the third string? I can imagine he has not been "in the game" this year. Things changed on one play and if it comes to it, we can expect a better prepared version of TK against OSU.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jacie View Post
    Once the season started and Mayfield became the man, what did Knight have to look forward to, mop up duty in blowout wins which he has to split that with the third string? I can imagine he has not been "in the game" this year. Things changed on one play and if it comes to it, we can expect a better prepared version of TK against OSU.
    Gotta love optimism !!

Actually, I do agree that getting more snaps this week will help (as well as being more focused). But enough to beat the pokes? Only if every other player on the team steps up their game Lets hope BM passes those more extensive concussion tests with flying colors over the next couple of days.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Knight behind a poor O-line is a prescription for a loss.
    I set my DVR to record "The Biggest Loser" and now it records the Longhorn Network all day.

Sooner Starter Since71ASooner4Life's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ObiKaTony View Post
    Knight just won the Heisman for mayfield

You may well be right - it certainly gives perspective what a difference maker Mayfield is

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Probably, but if I'm Gundy, I prepare for Mayfield and don't worry much if it's not.
    literally

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by VA Sooner View Post
    I'm still not sure what happened to Knight... promising QB that had an incredible night against Alabama two years ago and got worse over the last two years. Lost his mojo? Lost strength?
    Among other things, he looks like he spent a lot of time in the weight room bulking up, which is no success factor for QBs

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by winout View Post
    Knight behind a poor O-line is a prescription for a loss.
    I cant see a Knight led offense scoring more than 13 points, and a defense that is on the field all day wont hold OSU down. Looking for answers how a team that has been so good all year except for one uncharacteristic loss, the physical strength of Texas's DL comes to mind, and OSU is strong there as well. Without Mayfield I think its an ugly loss.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OklaPony's Avatar
    vCash

I'm more concerned with the status of Perine and Mixon. If they can't go then it won't matter who we run out there at QB.
    Pride '80 - '81

Whenever Jay Carney speaks, a logic-angel gets its wings ripped off.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by VA Sooner View Post
    I'm still not sure what happened to Knight... promising QB that had an incredible night against Alabama two years ago and got worse over the last two years. Lost his mojo? Lost strength?
    Personally, I think he lost his ability to process information when they exposed him to the full offense. His freshman year, they tailored the offense to his strengths - lots of single reads. When they gave him the more complicated offense his sophomore year, it slowed down his reads on everything.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OklaPony View Post
    I'm more concerned with the status of Perine and Mixon. If they can't go then it won't matter who we run out there at QB.
    I think it's pretty equal. The OSU D-line is good enough to keep us from running all over them if we have no passing threat. But without Perine, Mayfield can't win it by himself. We need our star players in a big game.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

After taking the hit, Mayfield appeared shaken up, but remained on the field.

"Our trainers and doctors were constantly with each series every time Baker was off, checking with him, asking him questions, making sure he was OK," Stoops said. "Everything was checking out fine. And then at halftime, they approached him again, wanting to go over some things, and Baker admitted to having a headache. That's when our doctors said we're not going to have him play.
    Feel like a broken record. This is being hyped up.

They felt confident the way they had been playing since Texas, felt like they had momentum, and took a precaution.

Baker did not fail any concussion tests, which I tried to point out yesterday. He never would have gone back in the game. He was checked constantly, to be sure.

Some doctor/trainer says, "You got a headache at all, anything?"

"Well yeah, I got whacked pretty hard. I've got a wicked headache."

They also said during the game, that it was a suggestion/advisement, to hold him out, and that Stoops had agreed. OU doesn't like to talk about injuries, so don't expect to hear much.

But, BM will be trotting out on the field, to start, come Saturday.

"We'll see...we'll see," Stoops said, via ESPN, of Mayfield's status after the game, acknowledging that the injury was related to the head shot. "[We] just didn't feel like he was quite where he needed to be so the doctors pulled him."
    That sound like a coach freaking over his starting QB going down. Stoops doesn't reveal much, but when he's upset, it's pretty obvious. I think losing Baker, would be upsetting than, "we'll see..."

The doctors didn't pull him. Stoops did.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by aurorasooner View Post
    He also looked to me to be considerably slower than he did against 'Bama. or even last year. Either that or the TCU defenders are awful darn fast.
    Did you see how bulked up, muscle-wise, TK has gotten over last year? That's going to affect everything he does, including running and throwing.

vCash

A headache after a blow to the head *is* a concussion symptom. It doesn't mean for sure he is concussed, but it forces to team to sit him. If you think Stoops would have held Mayfield out if he had a choice, you're crazy. The game was not in hand by any means and TCU was playing some pretty good defense even with Mayfield in there. Stoops was responding to criticism on why Mayfield stayed in the game after the hit because that's a big deal these days. He basically said BM was passing all the on-field tests, but he lied about the headache until half time.

I'm not saying Mayfield will test out as concussed in the coming days. We don't know - and you don't know. But watch the replay - his head snapped sharply like a billiard ball getting smacked by the cue ball. Physics says his brained moved around in his skull and it all depends on how it moved and what part of the brain got jostled.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

BM also grabbed at his ear after the hit. Any of you who ever played will know just how sharp that pain is when your helmet gets rapped. We had one idiot who loved going around smacking other players helmets with the metal button of a chin strap. Felt like it popped your eardrums. He did that until he got ganged up on.

But it could give you real ringing headache for a while afterward. I know BM's hit was vicious and nothing like a little rap on the helmet, but maybe that's all the headache was, just from getting his helmet rung.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Best line of the night

"Hi, I'm Baker Mayfield. And I have DirectTV."

"Hi, I'm Trevor Knight. And I have cable."

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonergirlNeugene View Post
    Yeah he was pitching more ducks than Phil Knight. Worst I've ever seen him.
    I don't remember Knight ever playing worse, either. We should NOT put him as second team QB.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Rock Hard Corn Frog's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by kenth68 View Post
    BM also grabbed at his ear after the hit. Any of you who ever played will know just how sharp that pain is when your helmet gets rapped. We had one idiot who loved going around smacking other players helmets with the metal button of a chin strap. Felt like it popped your eardrums. He did that until he got ganged up on.

But it could give you real ringing headache for a while afterward. I know BM's hit was vicious and nothing like a little rap on the helmet, but maybe that's all the headache was, just from getting his helmet rung.
    Once Baker said he had a headache after getting hit it was game over whether the trainers or Stoops made the call. I'm certain the trainers made the call. I've had a couple concussions but I've also had several other times I was hit and the head and had a headache. I'm concerned that he might not play but it looked to me like the team was just excercising reasonable caution. Regardless I don't expect Stoops to come out and say one way or the other.

I think Knight just has a confidence problem. Baker was almost too confident last night when lead to him taking a big hit. Oklahoma St seems willing to spot everyone 14 points to start the game and they aren't exactly looking like the 85 bears on defense.

Hell after the Texas game I didn't see any way we were in this position. Baker will play, we will win.
    "My landmass erupts with kittens."

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi View Post
    Personally, I think he lost his ability to process information when they exposed him to the full offense. His freshman year, they tailored the offense to his strengths - lots of single reads. When they gave him the more complicated offense his sophomore year, it slowed down his reads on everything.
    Agree. He looked completely mentally incapable.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    Best line of the night

"Hi, I'm Baker Mayfield. And I have DirectTV."

"Hi, I'm Trevor Knight. And I have cable."
    LOL!!!!
    OU fan since '88. Pissing off the Sunshine Pumpers since I've been on this site.
    Posted from iOS app

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Soonerfan88's Avatar
    vCash

I agree that Trevor seems to have trouble when given too many options on a play. It's also why he continually locks onto his receivers, he isn't good at going through his reads. But I also think the hit last year has him playing scared now. He knows that a hit could potentially paralyze him and so sometimes he's more worried about getting hit than making the play.

I really believe Trevor is a great young man and I'm glad someone like him represents my university. I even have a ball signed by him and Connor, but he's is not a D-1 QB. The Sugar Bowl was obviously a miracle.