Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Still think we can't get into the playoffs if we win out?

Quote Originally Posted by jkjsooner View Post
    But that would drop Bama out of the playoff race. They're not letting a two loss team (especially one who lost their last game) in.

I think you will have one team from the Big 10, one from the SEC, and one from the ACC either way. Iowa and NC both are lower now but should probably jump if they win out over OSU and Clemson.

My only concern is that OSU loses in their championship game but still goes to the playoffs giving the Big 10 two slots.
    That would still be a late-season loss. And we know how the committee feels about teams that failed to win a conference championship game.
    Ukraine: Not Our Fight.

More epicycles!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JLMSOONER View Post
    I hope Clemson graduated most of its players from last year. Granted we are a better team than we were last year, but that was a huge black eye.
    Clemson certainly did graduate almost everyone on the defense. That's why BV is getting so much credit for fielding a strong unit after losing so much NFL-level talent. But NC State showed they can be scored on.

If we end up playing Clemson, I don't see last year as being relevant. I don't usually put much stock into a team "not wanting to be there", but OUr team last year did not want to be there. The coaching staff knew changes were coming and were probably spending more time on their resumes and shaking their network than preparing a game plan. The players were extremely down after such a discouraging finish to what looked like a great season early. There was someone on TFB that was at the game last year that posted a message saying that OUr players looked uninterested during pre-game warm-ups while the Clemson players looked stoked. He posted this before the game started. The truth is we were not very good at the end of the season anyway, but adding in the lack of emotion and a rout is predictable. Would not happen this year, at least for the same reasons.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Pat Forde thinks we're top four team RIGHT NOW:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/forde-s...511-ncaaf.html
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

True until you see that the rout is taking place upon some team who is reputed to be the best, but fails miserably to good competion. Then the tv viewers will wonder who the heck picked this loser team, Noter Dame, to be in the playoffs.

Last year everybody in the media with knowledge of college football thought the SEC team would win it all. Suprise, not that way. Four teams in a playoff are not sufficient as long as media and opinion hold sway over the decision as to who gets in.

vCash

Alabama did come very close to winning it all last year. If Sims puts just a little air on that ball that got picked in the endzone, Bama most likely wins that game and goes on to crush a very injury riddled UO team. It was clear after watching the semi-finals game that the tOSU-Bama game was the real championship game and whoever won would beat the UO-FSU winner. It could well be those 2 teams again this year.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Rock Hard Corn Frog's Avatar
    vCash

Win the last 2 games and we only have to potentially worry about a beauty contest with ND. Comparing performances against Texas doesn't look good for us but otherwise the only think ND has going for them is a "good loss" to Clemson. I'll admit that the common opponent argument has been a strong one in the past but the committee has already established that a bad loss doesn't DQ a team otherwise Ohio St isn't even in the playoff last year. I personally think the 4 teams should be selected on merit and a bad loss is a bad loss but the committee selects the 4 best teams. I think at this moment OU is one of the 4 best teams and winning the next 2 games will pretty much seal that.

If ND loses to Stanford then the path is clear for OU. If ND wins then a 3-loss Stanford team that will be ranked about 20-22 will be probably their best win especially if Navy loses to Houston and USC loses to Oregon.

Also I know Tennessee has their flaws but they are 17-20 points this year from being undefeated and they likely win their last 2 games to go 8-4. OSU,Bay, TCU, and Tenn are all going to be viewed as quality wins.
    "My landmass erupts with kittens."

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Since i have 200 and my son a 100 on OU to win it all at 35 to 1 odds Im Praying we win OUT LOL
    Right now we are listed at 3-1 to make the play offs and 10-1 to win it all.

Your bet is looking better and better by the day.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

If an 11-1 OU team gets left out of the playoffs it is time to start looking for a new conference. BTW, it would hel[p a lot if teams like OSU and Baylor would schedule a decent OOC game every year. Their schedule is killing the Big 12 right now.
    Last edited by FaninAma; 11/18/2015 at 09:41 AM.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BigTip View Post
    Right now we are listed at 3-1 to make the play offs and 10-1 to win it all.

Your bet is looking better and better by the day.
    Yup, After the Saxet loss it jumped to a 100 to 1 LOL
    I dint have it in me to put anymore on it LOL
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

It's kind of odd that the Power 5 didn't really think about this possibility when creating the playoffs, that a four-team playoff would inevitably leave one of them out every year, potentially more if a mid-major like Notre Dame sneaks in.

Oh yes, I just called ND a mid-major. That's what they get for who they're relying on for quality wins. Temple. Really, Temple?

vCash

Another projection has us finishing strong and in the playoffs. Again, this looks just about right to me.

The money quote:
    The Sooners are really good. Even before yesterday’s game, they ranked No. 1 according to ESPN’s Football Power Index (FPI), which our model uses to project game outcomes. Oklahoma now has by far the best FPI ranking, so the Sooners are favored to win their two remaining games: at home against TCU next Saturday, and on the road against undefeated rival Oklahoma State (who isn’t shabby, either; the Cowboys have a 25 percent shot of making the playoff).
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...tions-week-11/

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Rock Hard Corn Frog's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    If an 11-1 OU team gets left out of the playoffs it is time to start looking for a new conference. BTW, it would hel[p a lot if teams like OSU and Baylor would schedule a decent OOC game every year. Their schedule is killing the Big 12 right now.
    Or pick up 2 more teams. Memphis and Houston. I realize Memphis especially would have to upgrade facilities and I'm not sure how much Bevo would protest Houston in the league but it would seem to be the best solution.

ND does have the Texas game argument over OU but if the committee is really weighing conference championships as a true criteria then ND should never make the playoff.

If OU plays the next 2 games like the last one the committee is going to have a tough time keeping us out.
    "My landmass erupts with kittens."

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Haven't seen anyone note that the playoff committee placed us at 7th last night.

The third week of the College Football Playoff rankings looks a lot like the second week. At least at the top.

The top four teams were unchanged in the latest edition of the rankings. Clemson stayed at No. 1, Alabama at No. 2, Ohio State at No. 3 and Notre Dame at No. 4. The first two teams out of the four-team playoff field were Iowa at No. 5 and Oklahoma State at No. 6. The Cowboys replaced Baylor in the top six.

Alabama and Notre Dame each have a loss. Clemson, Ohio State, Iowa and Oklahoma State are undefeated. It's clear the committee currently values the way Alabama is playing after losing to Ole Miss at home and the closeness of Notre Dame's loss at Clemson.
    View gallery
    Oklahoma, which beat Baylor last Saturday, is at No. 7. Outside of possibly Iowa, Oklahoma is in the best position of any team with a loss currently outside the top four to move in. The Sooners play TCU in Week 12 and also still have to play Oklahoma State. However, TCU fell three spots in the rankings to No. 18 after narrowly beating Kansas without the services of QB Trevone Boykin for much of the game.
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

If the playoff committee wants to send messages, why not send the message to Notre Dame to join a conference like the rest of college football and leave them out till they do unless they go undefeated?

vCash

Because half of them are probably ND groupies.

vCash

Joel Klatt had some interesting things to say about the playoff committee. Apparently the disrespect for the Big 12 is a statistical anomaly and suggests outright bias.

On Fox http://www.foxsports.com/watch/fox-s...-is-why-111815
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

vCash

And more Colin Cowherd
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

vCash

Beat TCU

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    If the playoff committee wants to send messages, why not send the message to Notre Dame to join a conference like the rest of college football and leave them out till they do unless they go undefeated?
    Exactly! How the heII can they get in playoff when they are NOT conference champions! I think as bad as BCS was, this effing playoff committee and their blatant biases are going to be worse. Senile Dr Tom and Barry (NU Alum) Alvarez are leading this anti-Big 12, I'm sure.

vCash

So. For today. Do we "need" the pokies to beat da' bears. I think it will help, but does it have to happen to give us a chance? If they do lose, which I am thinking there is a high probability of that happening, it will make our game with them less of statement.