Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 oupride's Avatar
    vCash

Re: That is bush league...I dont get that! haha

Quote Originally Posted by Jacie View Post
    I stand corrected.

ESPN's Herbstreit apologizes to Baylor for fake injury claim
    AP - Sports

WACO, Texas (AP) -- ESPN commentator Kirk Herbstreit apologized Sunday to Baylor and Terrell Burt after accusing the senior safety of faking an injury during the Bears' loss to Oklahoma.

Herbstreit's apology came in a series of three posts on his Twitter account.

''I'd like to apologize to (at)BUFootball & Terrell Burt. Last pm I thought he had faked an injury and I was DEAD WRONG,'' Herbstreit wrote on Twitter.

With the No. 7 Sooners lining up for a play with 9:44 left in their 44-34 victory Saturday night, Baylor cornerback Ryan Reid suddenly ran toward Burt and motioned for him to get down to the ground. Burt then bent forward and rolled over onto his back, prompting an injury timeout.

What was unknown at the time was that Burt had sprained his right ankle on the kickoff before Oklahoma had already snapped the ball twice on that drive.

Baylor trainer Mike Sims said Sunday that Burt's ankle ''is sore and swollen today.''

During the broadcast, when thinking it was a fake injury, Herbstreit was critical with his comments while Burt was being tended to by trainers and a replay was shown.

''I've never seen anything like that in my life,'' Herbstreit said during the ABC broadcast. ''That is awful. Now he's going to fake a limp. I mean that is bush league. I don't get that. ... This is football. That's unethical. You don't do that.''

Even when fellow broadcaster Chris Fowler asked if it was possible that Burt was hurt, Herbstreit quickly responded, ''No, he was ready to play.''

Burt had his ankle re-taped on the sideline and missed eight or nine plays before returning at the end of that drive that resulted in Oklahoma's final touchdown.

Herbstreit acknowledged in his apology Sunday that Burt was trying to fight through an ankle injury and kept playing until a teammate forced him to sit down to get treated.

''I saw what I saw at the time and didn't realize he had tweaked it earlier. I take full responsibility and apologize sincerely to Terrell,'' he posted.
    Thanks for the post!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by oupride View Post
    I think it would be impossible to prove. MsProud is on to something, the player should have to sit until the next series.
    That solution has certainly come up multiple times and been rejected. If this becomes a big problem, I could see that rule finally getting support. For this particular case, it certainly wasn't a problem as BU did not try to slow the game multiple times. It just made them look really silly on this occasion. A no huddle team can effectively keep that player out for the series or at least until they decide to substitute themselves.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

The excuse that the player was playing injured, and he was told to get down, was still stupid. If he was actually injured in two plays before that, why didn't the coaches pull him? All teams in November are playing with injuries. Other than head injuries, players have been known to keep on playing. Rocky Calmus played with a cast on his hand. If you look at the players, you see all types of extra taping, etc. on injured players. Football is not for sissies. That is why we marvel at the athletes that we are watching. It is amazing to see speed, strength, agility with all of the gear they wear. I LOVE THIS SPORT!!!

vCash

Yes, it looks stupid, but it was not disrupting the game. Baylor of all teams would be hurt by slowing down the game intentionally because they run one of the fastest no huddle in CFB. If they tried to do this on defense, the opposing coach would definitely retaliate when they were on offense resulting in a net disadvantage to BU. Also, that kind of escalation would bring on a change of the rules. I personally defend a coaches right to pull a player that he thinks is masking an injury. I also do not want to see an over reaction to an isolated incident like this causing a rule change that could easily hurt the game more than the problem trying to be fixed. Now, I have seen other games where players were instructed to fake injuries multiple times specifically to slow down the game, so it has been abused. I didn't see what happened in our game as a big deal.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by oupride View Post
    I think it would be impossible to prove. MsProud is on to something, the player should have to sit until the next series.
    We're in a health movement right now in football, and that sounds like an anti-health move.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mazeppa's Avatar
    vCash

If he was really hurt let's see the pictures of his swollen ankle, and remove all doubt.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mazeppa View Post
    If he was really hurt let's see the pictures of his swollen ankle, and remove all doubt.
    Why? It doesn't matter.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    This is really getting overblown. It wasn't a major injury, but it was a genuine injury. Every HS football player is taught that if you need to get off the field due to injury to just go down. It lets the trainers check it out to see if it's worse than expected, and more importantly, it gives you adequate time to sub your guy out. You don't want to be hobbling to the sideline trying to avoid 12 men on the field, and that's why you often see guys limping to the sideline and then suddenly collapsing.
    Yes, overblown. Who knows if the kid was hurting? If he was he did not belong on the field.