Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mazeppa's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Two plays bothered me

There's more than 2 plays that bothered me!

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

It was very obvious the B12 thought Baylor was their best chance to get into the playoffs and told the refs to make sure they won. If osu wins this week you can be sure we will see the same crap in stoolwater the week after.
    The QB throws a wobbly pass while in the grasp and you complete the tackle and they call roughing, give me a break.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mazeppa's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerMarkVA View Post
    Mazeppa and jkm pretty much put the mic drop on this thread. Outstanding, gentlemen!
    Thank You, Thank You very much!

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

You are focused on the wrong thing. The Baylor game is over. TCU is next up. Lets smash the horned frogs the same as a car tire running over a hornytoad. Flatten them into Frisbies. I know they are a near extinct species, but their survival should not be our concern if they show up on Owen Field.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
    It was very obvious the B12 thought Baylor was their best chance to get into the playoffs and told the refs to make sure they won. If osu wins this week you can be sure we will see the same crap in stoolwater the week after.
    The QB throws a wobbly pass while in the grasp and you complete the tackle and they call roughing, give me a break.
    If your talking about the flag on Evans early in the game, it was a good call. The ref explained it fully too - it wasn't for being late, it was for driving the QB into the turf using his full body weight. That one is not called consistently, but the rule is there. If you are talking about a different play, then nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    If your talking about the flag on Evans early in the game, it was a good call. The ref explained it fully too - it wasn't for being late, it was for driving the QB into the turf using his full body weight. That one is not called consistently, but the rule is there. If you are talking about a different play, then nevermind.
    There were definitely some strange calls in this game. The Evans play gets a flag, ok, but Mayfield gets clubbed in the head and no flag? But really that is just the way it has always been. Some missed and some called. Used to there just wasn't a boatload / better camera angles for us to look at.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mazeppa View Post
    There's more than 2 plays that bothered me!
    RILLY? I'd have never guessed....

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

You forgot the part where evans picked him up before he planted him AFTER he had released the ball. That is a huge fining in the NFL.

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

Does Evans have eyes in the back of his helmet? He doesn't know the ball has been thrown, he's just tackling a ball carrier. Evans doesn't have the same camera angle you have on your tv.

vCash

Does Evans have eyes in the back of his helmet? He doesn't know the ball has been thrown, he's just tackling a ball carrier. Evans doesn't have the same camera angle you have on your tv.
    It wasn't because the hit was late or that the ball was gone. The ref explained it clearly - the foul was for driving the QB into the ground. I.e., not a normal tackle, rather a maneuver intended to injure.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

As a player, you absolutely know if the ball is gone or not. You are running right at them and you can see them throwing. The rule on Quarterbacks has always been one step and hit. When you take the extra time to pick them up and then plant them into the ground you are going to get a flag. Now, you are also going to get a huge advantage out of doing it as QBs can only take so much punishment before their efficiency goes down (the KState circa 2000 methodology).

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

ee
    Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi View Post
    As a player, you absolutely know if the ball is gone or not. You are running right at them and you can see them throwing. The rule on Quarterbacks has always been one step and hit. When you take the extra time to pick them up and then plant them into the ground you are going to get a flag. Now, you are also going to get a huge advantage out of doing it as QBs can only take so much punishment before their efficiency goes down (the KState circa 2000 methodology).
    No need to keep beating a dead horse, but I agree with you if the qb throws the pass BEFORE you hit him. Evans was already engaged with the qb BEFORE he threw the ball. He simply finished the tackle. That's the way you are taught to tackle, face mask in the chest, grab the thighs, drive with the legs. I'm sorry the Baylor qb is such a pip-squeak, but maybe he shouldn't be on the field with the big boys.
    I'm wondering when the NCAA is just going to go to flag football, full pads of course.

vCash

ee

No need to keep beating a dead horse, but I agree with you if the qb throws the pass BEFORE you hit him. Evans was already engaged with the qb BEFORE he threw the ball. He simply finished the tackle. That's the way you are taught to tackle, face mask in the chest, grab the thighs, drive with the legs. I'm sorry the Baylor qb is such a pip-squeak, but maybe he shouldn't be on the field with the big boys.
    I'm wondering when the NCAA is just going to go to flag football, full pads of course.
    That horse seems to still be breathing. I just watched the replay and the foul happened 12:20 of the first quarter. Here is the exact call from the ref:

"Roughing the passer #26 - punishing the quarterback with the weight of his body"

No mention of timing at all - it was for the way he tackled. You can disagree with the rule or bitch about the pussification of football, blah, blah, blah. But I don't see how you can dispute that the play happened exactly as the ref described. So if that is a foul, it was properly called.