Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Did not have a good feeling going into that game...

The 3 and out, then 6 for them to start... made it worse.

Then BU was trailing. And the D, actually made sure they stayed there. Say what you want about any part of the defense, the secondary, line, Mike Stoops and even my own personal issues with Sanchez. Those guys kept BU behind and uncomfortable for way longer than they wanted to.

It was obvious the game was very chippy (duh!) and if OU could just keep their heads... felt BU would implode. But the D wasn't going to hold BU all night. We needed points.

Well, I don't think BU really imploded but they were overwhelmed. I think it was mostly Baker that overwhelmed them. He definitely deserves the game ball. But, we were also the better team. Too much talent on the field for their defense to cover. Baker knew how and could utilize it. Though, dang he gives me near strokes at times. He is a fiery individual.

Sooner Benchwarmer Harris County Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Did not have a good feeling going into that game...

These guys are special. They beat a very good Baylor team in their house. Boomer........
    "To this day, Schnellenberger is not held in high esteem by Sooner fans, in part because he made no secret of his lack of interest in the program's history."

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Harris County Sooner View Post
    These guys are special. They beat a very good Baylor team in their house. Boomer........
    SOONER!

I agree. They are a special bunch.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

I don't know of another OU quarterback who could buy time like Baker does. What an athlete!
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

After the 1st series of the 2nd half the defense was awesome. Baylor couldn't run it and they are so successful when the safeties have to cheat to stop the run.

Baker is a blessing and a curse at times but has made the big plays when called upon. I still think the O-Line needs to get better but that was a very loud, hostile environment tonight.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Given how well OUr team has been clicking the last 4 games and given that BU is playing a back-up true FR QB, I don't think there is anything that could have given you a good feeling going into this game.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie91 View Post
    After the 1st series of the 2nd half the defense was awesome. Baylor couldn't run it and they are so successful when the safeties have to cheat to stop the run.
    Baker is a blessing and a curse at times
    but has made the big plays when called upon. I still think the O-Line needs to get better but that was a very loud, hostile environment tonight.
    say what? Baker is the best .
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Baker carried the team - I don't understand fans sometimes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    I'm with olevet - I have watched every OU QB since 1955 and I just don't think there has ever been one like Baker. Clearly, there have been some brilliant ones but I can' t recall one that could extend a play the way he does. Scares me to death on one hand but has that Sooner Magic in his pocket and he is not afraid to use it.
    There's Only ONE Oklahoma!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Given how well OUr team has been clicking the last 4 games and given that BU is playing a back-up true FR QB, I don't think there is anything that could have given you a good feeling going into this game.
    The back-up QB doesn't fly.

They discussed that during the game and we were assured when he came in a couple weeks ago, there would be little, if any drop-off. Maybe some extra wrinkles.

I just didn't have a good feeling going into the game. I felt all the pressure was on OU, in another hostile environment, with a big 2 year monkey on their back. I think Baker Mayfield is a big difference maker. Kid is truly a leader.

Briles: "He's the best QB I've seen in a long time." (in reference to their true frosh)
    Last edited by SoCalBigRed; 11/15/2015 at 01:56 AM.

vCash

Not saying the back up QB was an excuse. Just saying OUr team was playing the best ball of the season and is pretty healthy. The only thing to worry about is if BU was just the better team and in that case, you tip your cap to them. Everything was pointing to us playing to our potential which is all a fan can ask (well, rational fans).

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Flagstaffsooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Piware View Post
    I'm with olevet - I have watched every OU QB since 1955 and I just don't think there has ever been one like Baker. Clearly, there have been some brilliant ones but I can' t recall one that could extend a play the way he does. Scares me to death on one hand but has that Sooner Magic in his pocket and he is not afraid to use it.
    Scares me to death is right, love being scared!
    posse member

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Flagstaffsooner View Post
    Scares me to death is right, love being scared!
    Well put. It's a game - it's supposed to be entertaining !

I've noted that OU plays better if it is the underdog. This was the case when it played Baylor. This was the case throughout their Championship season in 2000. All through the season they were the underdogs, starting with Texas, then Kansas State, then Nebraska and even in the championship game against Florida State. In all these games OU was considered the underdog. In 2000, their OU's preseason ranking was 19. Again this year, Oklahoma's preseason's ranking was 19. I had a feeling at the beginning of the season that OU might have a championship year because it was seen as the underdogs for its major match-ups. I believe the coaching staff is more focused and coaches more aggressively (rather than conservatively; that is, the coaching staff coaches to win rather than "not to lose.") If OU continues to be the underdog, I believe it will win out the season and again be crowned National Champions as in 2000.

vCash

1985->2000->2015

Seems like we're due.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by soonerprognosticator View Post
    I've noted that OU plays better if it is the underdog.
    I agree 100%. Here's part of a post I just made in another thread in regards to being an underdog:

"I'd also be fine with them knocking our guys down to #4, as hopefully they would feel slighted. My biggest fear was that too many people would say how great they are. Now I'm reading a few articles suggesting we may have the most overrated team in the playoffs, which I hope the team has also read. One article says we lucked out by playing our 3 hardest opponents without their starting QBs. What they failed to mention is that their starting QBs never played on D when they were starting. I take that back, the starting QB for Okie Lite played one series against us and promptly threw a pick 6 and got plastered near the goal line trying to stop the score. That counts as playing D, right?"
    OU fan since '88. Pissing off the Sunshine Pumpers since I've been on this site.
    Posted from iOS app