Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Looks like Missouri has a problem

Quote Originally Posted by ouflak View Post
    So I wonder what would happen if all of the athletes in the country went on strike until they got a fair piece of the multi-billion dollar action?
    Are you talking about professional or college athletes? And just so we're on the same page, what is your definition of "fair piece"?
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TheHumanAlphabet View Post
    Badg, you have a point, you can vote and die for this country, but not drink. That's an outrage! we should change this inequity!
    When I was in college at OU, the law allowed women to drink 3.2 beer at 18, but for us guys it was 21. (Anything with higher alcohol it was also 21 for girls.) We did petition the state legislature and we succeeded in getting the age lowered to 18 for both sexes.

Then seven years later it was raised to 21 for everybody. So much for that activism success.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

My U Chicago nephew tried out the "die for my country/alcohol" bit on me over the summer. It's as stupid an argument now as it was when I was in school.

No one is forced to join the armed forces or drink beer, to begin with. Or, vote, for that matter. But, that is where any similarity in the issue ends.

Choosing to voluntarily serve in the armed forces is much more of a commitment than walking into a store, grabbing a six pack, and walking to the cash register to hand over your money. That anyone ever equates the two simply shows how far down the pike intelligence has gone over the decades.

You are not pledged to give two to four years of your life in service to the country when you buy a six pack of beer. Nor are you agreeing to possibly die for your country simply because you have bought a six pack.

Volunteering to serve in the armed forces, especially since 9/11, is a serious matter that takes some bravery and forethought on the part of the signee. It doesn't take bravery or forethought to walk into a store, grab a six pack, and hand a cashier a wad of dollar bills.

Further you are agreeing to be trained to protect the country when you volunteer to serve in the armed forces. You are protecting nothing by buying a six pack of beer. In fact, it's just the opposite: you are likely to use poor judgement and could end up hurting yourselves and others when you become intoxicated from it.

It's idiotic to ever compare the two. If military service were compulsory, the story would be different. It's not.
    Last edited by Tear Down This Wall; 11/10/2015 at 05:31 PM.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

The military service/drinking age thing started when there was a draft. I had a draft card right at the end of the Vietnam "police action", but the draft lottery was cancelled when we declared victory and got the h.ell out of there. I clearly remember the drinking age being lowered to 18 for 3.2 beer just to address that argument. "Okay, you can drink. Here's your Bud Lite and your M16". Obviously doesn't apply today.

Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Well, I should have used a Winkie, the sarcasm of my post to Badg may not have gone through...
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Update onthe food sttker at MU, he grew up in a $1 million dollar mansion, his Dad makes $7 million a year as an executive at Union Pacific.
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ouflak View Post
    So I wonder what would happen if all of the athletes in the country went on strike until they got a fair piece of the multi-billion dollar action?
    how silly. Just as silly as the crap at ole mizzou right now.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    My U Chicago nephew tried out the "die for my country/alcohol" bit on me over the summer. It's as stupid an argument now as it was when I was in school.

No one is forced to join the armed forces or drink beer, to begin with.
    I can tell you this, military service was not viewed as voluntary when I came of age, the war in Vietnam and the draft were a reality to 18 year old males. Back then, the "old enough to fight, possibly die, old enough to drink" argument made sense to a lot of us, a lot more sense than the girls can drink at 18/boys at 21 deal.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post

No one is forced to join the armed forces or drink beer, to begin with. Or, vote, for that matter. But, that is where any similarity in the issue ends.

Choosing to voluntarily serve in the armed forces is much more of a commitment than walking into a store, grabbing a six pack, and walking to the cash register to hand over your money. That anyone ever equates the two simply shows how far down the pike intelligence has gone over the decades.

You are not pledged to give two to four years of your life in service to the country when you buy a six pack of beer. Nor are you agreeing to possibly die for your country simply because you have bought a six pack.

Volunteering to serve in the armed forces, especially since 9/11, is a serious matter that takes some bravery and forethought on the part of the signee. It doesn't take bravery or forethought to walk into a store, grab a six pack, and hand a cashier a wad of dollar bills.

Further you are agreeing to be trained to protect the country when you volunteer to serve in the armed forces. You are protecting nothing by buying a six pack of beer. In fact, it's just the opposite: you are likely to use poor judgement and could end up hurting yourselves and others when you become intoxicated from it.

It's idiotic to ever compare the two. If military service were compulsory, the story would be different. It's not.
    You are missing the point.

If you aren't old enough to be trusted with near beer then why are you suddenly competent to sign your life away to the government or choose a President or buy a gun?

vCash

Are you an adult at 18 or not?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    To most helicopter parents, no they aren't.
    Last edited by bluedogok; 11/11/2015 at 11:08 PM.

vCash

The law has to pick a number; individuals vary all over the map. Perhaps in the future it will be determined by some sophisticated brain scan.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Science tells us the young adult brain is wired to attempt more dangerous activities than it will later in life. This is good for soldier warriors under a system of strict supervision. It's not good for the consumption of a drug that further drops the inhibition level.
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

vCash

Or maybe they are too young to know they are being exploited by a war hungry government?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Or maybe they are too young to know they are being exploited by a war hungry government?
    I am with you on this issue. BTW, after the outstanding use of military personnel and resources in Vietnam and Iraq by our fearless(feckless?) leaders which of you parents would encourage your children to join the US armed forces?
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

vCash

You are missing the point.

If you aren't old enough to be trusted with near beer then why are you suddenly competent to sign your life away to the government or choose a President or buy a gun?
    No.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

vCash

Legally, yes. Mentally, no. Thank God the law errs on the side of not letting 18 year old drink legally.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Stay on topic. Plus, there is no draft now.
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

vCash

Or, too young to know they are being exploited by profit-hungry alcoholic beverage corporations who will not be held liable if they are killed, maimed, or paralyzed in a drunk driving accident or by a drunk driver?
    Last edited by Tear Down This Wall; 11/11/2015 at 11:40 AM.

vCash

And:

"Teen drinking and driving rates have dropped by 54 percent over the last two decades, and the biggest declines were seen between 1982 and 1995, a period which included changes in the Federal law that pushed all states to increase their drinking age to 21.

During that period, the number of fatally-injured drunk drivers decreased by 57 percent among those ages 16 to 20, compared with 39 percent for those ages 21 to 24, and 9 percent for those older than 25.

Looking at whether setting the age at 21 has driven teenagers to drink more, researchers found that psychological and social studies on drinking motivations have not supported this idea.

On the other hand, many studies have found that a higher legal drinking age led to less alcohol consumption. In one of the most recent studies, researchers found that in 2011, 36 percent of college students said they'd engaged in binge drinking in the past two weeks, compared with 43 percent of students in 1988, the first year that the age 21 law was adopted by all states.

Researchers noted the age 21 law has had positive effects despite being sometimes disobeyed, and indifferently enforced. Instead of lowering drinking age, there should be in fact stricter enforcement of the law, they said.

"Clinical trials have found that when college towns put more effort into enforcing the law — and advertise that fact to students — student drinking declines," DeJong said.

"Some people assume that students are so hell-bent on drinking, nothing can stop them," DeJong said. "But it really is the case that enforcement works."

http://www.livescience.com/43605-dri...ves-lives.html