Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Looks like Missouri has a problem

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    I appreciate having President Boren be a decisive and up-front leader on the SAE incident of last offseason. It could have turned out to be a much worse situation for OU had he not taking immediate action and gave more than lip service to those who were upset. It sounds like Mizzou's leaders could have had a similar result if they weren't dancing around the issue, trying to avoid responsibility and involvement.

If Mizzou players are indeed booted for their actions, there's a rival program just across the border that's had depleted talent and scholly levels for years. Hit the Tigers where it hurts most and defect to KU!
    I have no problem with Boren being decisive on the SAE issue. I do have a problem with him being inconsistent and using financial and political considerations when treating students in a fair mannner. I still wonder how much they paid the drunk girl to not go forward with any legal actions. and to seal the video of Mixon.

I guess the Missouri President would have been a lot better off if he had found some dumb white frat guys to come down hard on. Apparently he doesn't underestand the importance of PC optics.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Uh, no. They're given scholarships to be students who play football. If they keep their grades up, no way they can yank the scholarship.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    Why would he stay at a place where the inmates run the asylum? He'll be paid handsomely to leave. And, he can go back to the private sector where he was a successful executive.
    ^^^ This. Sad day when a bunch of young people can sway a top manager to leave. University will no longer be the same and everyone will be afraid to speak their opinion or intelligently. This isn't about the protest or the precipitating event, this is about an adult giving into a 2 year old tantrum... we know how well that works and the results of doing that.
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

There are a lot of interesting factors at play in this situation... and whatever your opinion of this boycott, it apparently worked because the president stepped down today.

- Would Mizzou players have threatened to sit out if they were in contention for the SEC East a la the past two seasons? Florida secured it by beating Vandy Saturday, so there's no chance of that this year, playing or sitting.

- With the threat of giving $1 million to BYU, not to mention the lost concessions, ticket money, etc from game forfeiture, did the Mizzou players have the upper hand here, and will they continue to have the upper hand on social issues they get involved with?

- Are they a team divided or united on this front? The initial tweets/etc said only the black players were sitting out and made no mention of the entire team. The coaches only spoke out later after the news started being widely reported.

I appreciate having President Boren be a decisive and up-front leader on the SAE incident of last offseason. It could have turned out to be a much worse situation for OU had he not taking immediate action and gave more than lip service to those who were upset. It sounds like Mizzou's leaders could have had a similar result if they weren't dancing around the issue, trying to avoid responsibility and involvement.

If Mizzou players are indeed booted for their actions, there's a rival program just across the border that's had depleted talent and scholly levels for years. Hit the Tigers where it hurts most and defect to KU!
    "Responsibility and involvement" in what? Did the president yell n_gger? No. Someone said someone yelled it at him. How is that on the president of the college?

The OU situation was totally different because they perps were filming themselves. What did you want the president of Mizzou to do, expel every white student who might have yelled n_gger?

And, let's digress into reality here - if someone really did yell it, how do we conclude that it was a white person? What if it were a hispanic? An Asian?

What exactly do you propose the president do? Send out and e-mail to all student saying, "Don't yell or say n_gger to black people. Only black people can say that to black people. Get it straight."?

Also, what do you want him to do with no perpetrator found for the alleged dog feces incident? Again, no one to punish? No evidence that anyone did anything other than this group found it. How do we know they didn't do it themselves to perpetrate a hoax? Oh...surely, not. Not, college kid looking for some social media gas!
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

And, also, what about the alleged "bumped" protester during the parade. This was a homecoming parade with protesters planning to disrupt. Are we to naively believe that none of the protest or homecoming parade was caught on video in this day and age?

Come on. Where is the "bumped" protester? Where is the evidence that this event even took place? A video? A police report?

You are telling me that there were no police at a parade? A police officer anywhere near the parade who could have cited the driver of the car had the event actually occurred?

Some of you...really? All you need for evidence is that someone said something happened and nothing more?

It's bad enough that there is no evidence that any of the allegations actually ever occurred. What is worse is that no media outlet anywhere appears interested - or, capable - of trying to determine the veracity of the accusations.

Is journalism really this dead? Is this what it has come to, journalist just glom onto whatever is sensational for a story and refuse to investigate whether any of it is fact?

Pathetic.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

It's funny that you suggest journalism is dead... The protesters tried to create a no-media area at Mizzou today. You know, the school with one of the top journalism schools in the country.

I stand by my assertion that mizz president should have taken these concerns seriously, faster. If the allegations are without merit, investigate and release your findings. Don't just sit back and let the angry mob dictate the narrative. Whose in charge of campus?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    And, also, what about the alleged "bumped" protester during the parade. This was a homecoming parade with protesters planning to disrupt. Are we to naively believe that none of the protest or homecoming parade was caught on video in this day and age?

Come on. Where is the "bumped" protester? Where is the evidence that this event even took place? A video? A police report?

You are telling me that there were no police at a parade? A police officer anywhere near the parade who could have cited the driver of the car had the event actually occurred?

Some of you...really? All you need for evidence is that someone said something happened and nothing more?

It's bad enough that there is no evidence that any of the allegations actually ever occurred. What is worse is that no media outlet anywhere appears interested - or, capable - of trying to determine the veracity of the accusations.

Is journalism really this dead? Is this what it has come to, journalist just glom onto whatever is sensational for a story and refuse to investigate whether any of it is fact?

Pathetic.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6zwnmlzZSQ

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

If I got a dollar for every time I heard n?igger while playing ball...I'd be a rich man.

Free speech?
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Oh...and incoming freshman will now be required to take a diversity sensitive class...good grief. I wouldn't send my kid just for that exact reason. They need a "grow a pair of nads" class...
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

SEC SEC SEC !!! haha
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TheHumanAlphabet View Post
    ^^^ This. Sad day when a bunch of young people can sway a top manager to leave. University will no longer be the same and everyone will be afraid to speak their opinion or intelligently. This isn't about the protest or the precipitating event, this is about an adult giving into a 2 year old tantrum... we know how well that works and the results of doing that.
    It already is that, it's pretty much to the point that the whole academic system in this country needs to be torn down and started over again. It has also been going on for awhile, I remember an op-ed in the January 1990 Playboy by Nat Hentoff called "Flexing Muzzles" which addressed what is going on all over the country now. Ironically one of the few copies of it that I can find online is a PDF of the UM-St. Louis school newspaper with the op-ed published around the same time.

The article is on page 4.
    Flexing Muzzles - Nat Hentoff

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

To be clear, it wasn't the student protest that caused the uni prez to resign . . . it was the football team boycott.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jacie View Post
    To be clear, it wasn't the student protest that caused the uni prez to resign . . . it was the football team boycott.
    Wrong......
    Hey... maybe T BOONE can pony up and start a Stilleater newspaper... but the players would probably just use it to roll the weed.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

Oh really?

Missouri protest exposes NCAA's greatest fear
    Dan Wetzel
    Yahoo Sports

In less than a day the movement grew from a single tweet from 32 black players to the support of perhaps the whole team, including head coach Gary Pinkel and the athletic department.

By Monday morning, poof, Wolfe was gone, resigning his presidency that he held onto across months despite protests, complaints, a tent city on campus and even a hunger strike by a graduate student.

It was the football team that supplied the momentum and media attention that nothing else could.

Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Yeah, I finally read what precipitated all this stuff. A drunk dude(s) in a vehicle either drove past a bunch of black people or the OU equivalent of the BPU (Do they still have that at OU) and yelled out stuff including the N word. In some dorm, somebody apparently drew a swastika in feces on a door or wall. Didn't say for what context or if it was targeted at someone in particular. I didn't know that the swastika has become a symbol of black oppression.

Now, while the yelling is bad, how is that different than some drunk dude driving through Greek row and yelling out Greeks suck or GDI! I don't see a school President investigating that. I do see this as a police effort, if they have any information to follow up on like description of said vehicle or people involved.

Now a couple of Journalism professors have been associated with anti-first amendment activity towards a fellow reporter. They should be fired IMO.
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 oupride's Avatar
    vCash

ditto

vCash

I stand by my assertion that mizz president should have taken these concerns seriously, faster. If the allegations are without merit, investigate and release your findings. Don't just sit back and let the angry mob dictate the narrative. Whose in charge of campus?
    And to what purpose....so he can become a puppet that jumps every time a special interest victims' group doesn't like something on campus? What a freaking nightmare. If my kid was going to Missouri they would be transferring as soon as possible. The PC BS on that campus is about to go off the charts.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

vCash

Oh really?

Dan Wetzel
    Yahoo Sports

In less than a day the movement grew from a single tweet from 32 black players to the support of perhaps the whole team, including head coach Gary Pinkel and the athletic department.

By Monday morning, poof, Wolfe was gone, resigning his presidency that he held onto across months despite protests, complaints, a tent city on campus and even a hunger strike by a graduate student.

It was the football team that supplied the momentum and media attention that nothing else could.
    And one of the reasons I did not reorder my season tickets 6 years ago. The tail is wagging the damned dog.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

And to what purpose....so he can become a puppet that jumps every time a special interest victims' group doesn't like something on campus?
    I don't consider President Boren a puppet, but he seems to always listen to concerns big and small around campus. When he instituted a policy that freshmen needed to live on campus, two mothers protested outside his office (they lived in Norman and it would have been a needless expense for their kids to not live a few miles away at home) and he welcomed them in to discuss. The same goes for editorials in the student paper, and reacting to unexpected deaths on campus -- the alcohol poisoning death of a frat student, the student who blew himself up on a bench outside the stadium.

Being an active president does not make you a puppet president. It makes you a good president. It's why Mizzou's name is getting dragged through the mud right now instead of OU's.

I agree with this. The student group confronted him numerous times, including at the homecoming parade and it didn't prompt action, but the football team was the straw that broke the camel's back.

And one of the reasons I did not reorder my season tickets 6 years ago. The tail is wagging the damned dog.
    From grayshirting, to one-year scholarship that need to be renewed annually, to some schools restricting social media, to just recently being able to have unlimited meals and maybe perhaps one day getting cost of attendance scholarships.... the balance of power has, for a long time, been with the millionaire coaches, highly paid staffs and athletic departments, the universities, conferences, and NCAA. I'd say the balance of power is still on the other side, but the players are showing a bit more fight for themselves lately.

Now a couple of Journalism professors have been associated with anti-first amendment activity towards a fellow reporter. They should be fired IMO.
    It was truly pathetic for a school with such a renowned J-school.

I love hearing about the NCAA being afraid... but maybe I'm just thinking back to all of the times they've been after OU

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TheHumanAlphabet View Post

Heh. The two carrot top white guilters toward the end are journalist Prof's.

OleVet Posse Instigator