Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Please Educate me!

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! View Post
    Translation: I will vote for Donald/Daisy Duck, D, Anystate USA, with a nod and a wink, knowing the illegal and unconstitutional hanky panky that will be delivered.

Nothin to add. All politicians are crooks. I'll vote for the least evil one most likely.

5-0
    Last edited by hawaii 5-0; 11/8/2015 at 12:58 AM.
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

Allegedly Pokish
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    The left can throw out all the high-sounding talking points they want to, but we know what really motivates those handwringing sacks of sh*t, and it's the promise that big government is going to help them do what they can't or want do for themselves.
    You got that right. I'm on the left and I readily admit there are a lot of things that I want big government to help me do--or, dare I say it, just do on its own--because I can't or won't do it for myself. Just off the top of my head, these things include:

Regulating air traffic control (so my plane doesn't crash into another when I go back to OK to visit my family)
    Funding interstate road maintenance (so as a hardworking citizen I can get to work every day on safe roads)
    Establishing and enforcing food safety standards (so that I can be reasonably certain that the food I purchase at the supermarket won't sicken or kill me when I eat it)
    Maintaining a strong military to provide for our common defense (no explanation needed)
    Providing basic healthcare services for my less fortunate fellow human beings through Medicaid (because there but for the grace of God go I)

Of course I'm just a handwringing sack of **** though. So carry on.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by hawaii 5-0 View Post
    I'm sure it can't compete with your Donny Osmond tramp stamp.

5-0
    No tattoos for this fellow, and for the same reason you don't put bumper stickers on a Ferrari.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoSoonerGal View Post
    You got that right. I'm on the left and I readily admit there are a lot of things that I want big government to help me do--or, dare I say it, just do on its own--because I can't or won't do it for myself. Just off the top of my head, these things include:

Regulating air traffic control (so my plane doesn't crash into another when I go back to OK to visit my family)
    Funding interstate road maintenance (so as a hardworking citizen I can get to work every day on safe roads)
    Establishing and enforcing food safety standards (so that I can be reasonably certain that the food I purchase at the supermarket won't sicken or kill me when I eat it)
    Maintaining a strong military to provide for our common defense (no explanation needed)
    Providing basic healthcare services for my less fortunate fellow human beings through Medicaid (because there but for the grace of God go I)

Of course I'm just a handwringing sack of **** though. So carry on.
    Except for that last one that is what government is supposed to do. If they'd stop at that we'd be a lot better off, but we all know that's not where you handwringers want them to stop!
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Allegedly Pokish
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! View Post
    Translation: I will vote for Donald/Daisy Duck, D, Anystate USA, with a nod and a wink, knowing the illegal and unconstitutional hanky panky that will be delivered.
    Translation: I will now go off on some kind of weird *** tangent invoking cartoon characters that doesn't in any way rebut anything you said, much less rebut it with facts.

Allegedly Pokish
    vCash

Except for that last one that is what government is supposed to do. If they'd stop at that we'd be a lot better off, but we all know that's not where you handwringers want them to stop!
    Please, do tell me where I want them to stop. You seem to know much more about what I want them to stop than I do.

vCash

Please, do tell me where I want them to stop. You seem to know much more about what I want them to stop than I do.
    Well, if you want them to stop at those things you listed, minus that last one, you really aren't a leftist which you indicated you are, so with some reasoned thinking I naturally assume you want govt. to do more than only what you listed. But maybe you're the rare leftist who only wants govt. to do what it was originally meant to do?

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Allegedly Pokish
    vCash

Well, if you want them to stop at those things you listed, minus that last one, you really aren't a leftist which you indicated you are, so with some reasoned thinking I naturally assume you want govt. to do more than only what you listed. But maybe you're the rare leftist who only wants govt. to do what it was originally meant to do?
    Leftist. You keep using that word. But I don't think it means what you think it means.

Joke aside.

Seriously.

I think we define "leftist" differently. So maybe a good starting point for a civil discussion would be for you to define that term as you see it? Then I will compare that with my definition and who knows, we might find that we actually share a lot of common ground.

vCash

Leftist. You keep using that word. But I don't think it means what you think it means.

Joke aside.

Seriously.

I think we define "leftist" differently. So maybe a good starting point for a civil discussion would be for you to define that term as you see it? Then I will compare that with my definition and who knows, we might find that we actually share a lot of common ground.
    Leftist = someone who lacks the strength of character, or ability to stand on their own, and as such thinks that government (ie..other people - taxpayers) should be their safety net. As such they feel no moral qualms about reaching into other's pockets to help them along the way, though lacking the strength of character (as mentioned above) to be brazen enough to openly take from others themselves, they depend on the government to do the thievery for them.

You can now define it how you want, but I whittled it down to the nuts and bolts for you already. My guess is that your definition will be filled with metaphorical unicorns, rainbows, and such.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Allegedly Pokish
    vCash

I don't think that way, and none of the lefties I know think that way either.

That being said, however.

A few years ago I was laid off from my well-paying job. I received a letter from the state requiring me to attend a seminar about job retraining or risk losing my unemployment.

I was selected for this because the state had concluded--correctly--that it would be difficult for me to find new employment in my industry. (I might add, much less one that paid what I had been making.)

As a result I applied for and was accepted into a retraining program. The deal was that the state would pay my tuition and continue paying my unemployment as long as I kept my grades up. Attendance was counted as part of the total grade so I couldn't just do the work and not show up. I finished the coursework with a 99.9% grade. The .1% was deducted because I got sick throwing up the first day of class and had to leave early, so I didn't have perfect attendance.

Afterward I was hired in my new field literally at entry level--doing scanning and opening mail. I worked my way up and now have an excellent job although it still does not pay as much as the one I was laid off from.

Having heard this story, would you define me then as someone lacking the strength of character or ability to stand on my own?

vCash

I don't think that way, and none of the lefties I know think that way either.

That being said, however.

A few years ago I was laid off from my well-paying job. I received a letter from the state requiring me to attend a seminar about job retraining or risk losing my unemployment.

I was selected for this because the state had concluded--correctly--that it would be difficult for me to find new employment in my industry. (I might add, much less one that paid what I had been making.)

As a result I applied for and was accepted into a retraining program. The deal was that the state would pay my tuition and continue paying my unemployment as long as I kept my grades up. Attendance was counted as part of the total grade so I couldn't just do the work and not show up. I finished the coursework with a 99.9% grade. The .1% was deducted because I got sick throwing up the first day of class and had to leave early, so I didn't have perfect attendance.

Afterward I was hired in my new field literally at entry level--doing scanning and opening mail. I worked my way up and now have an excellent job although it still does not pay as much as the one I was laid off from.

Having heard this story, would you define me then as someone lacking the strength of character or ability to stand on my own?
    I would describe you as someone who took advantage of a government program that should not have existed. I don't know that I blame you, so much as I blame government for going above and beyond what should be its scope.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Allegedly Pokish
    vCash

Leftist = someone who lacks the strength of character, or ability to stand on their own, and as such thinks that government (ie..other people - taxpayers) should be their safety net. As such they feel no moral qualms about reaching into other's pockets to help them along the way, though lacking the strength of character (as mentioned above) to be brazen enough to openly take from others themselves, they depend on the government to do the thievery for them.
    From that well-known liberal rag Forbes:

The Fortune 500 corporations alone accounted for more than 16,000 subsidy awards, worth $63 billion – mostly in the form of tax breaks.

Think about that. The largest, wealthiest, most powerful organizations in the world are on the public dole. Where is the outrage? Back when I was young, people went into a frenzy at the thought of some unemployed person using food stamps to buy liquor or cigarettes. Ronald Reagan famously campaigned against welfare queens. The right has always been obsessed with moochers. But Boeing receives $13 billion in government handouts and everyone yawns, when conservatives should be grabbing their pitchforks.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/taxanaly...orate-welfare/

So where you at on this? Is it okay for corporations to reach into taxpayers' pockets with government help? Just not hardworking people who find themselves unemployed or underemployed through no fault of their own?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

So where you at on this? Is it okay for corporations to reach into taxpayers' pockets with government help? Just not hardworking people who find themselves unemployed or underemployed through no fault of their own?
    Why do you think conservatives approve of crony capitalism/fascism? I assure they do not. Democrats and RINOS do, though.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

Yet you worship all the crony capitalist politicians.

You guys defend Mr. Shooting Safety Cheney against any slight, and he's the worst of them.

Allegedly Pokish
    vCash

Because they keep voting for the guys that want to give tax cuts to the already-rich.

Because they complain about welfare mom moochers but rarely do I see them complain about corporate moochers.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Because they keep voting for the guys that want to give tax cuts to the already-rich.

Because they complain about welfare mom moochers but rarely do I see them complain about corporate moochers.
    ---The "already rich" ---pay the vast majority of the tax today-----I was in a QT last weekend and say a woman buy 10 bags of ice on a food stamp card----Should that make me mad? , Is that the intended purpose?
    Last edited by REDREX; 11/8/2015 at 06:59 PM.

vCash

Nope! That's not okay either.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Allegedly Pokish
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by REDREX View Post
    ---The "already rich" ---pay the vast majority of the tax today-----I was in a QT last weekend and say a woman buy 10 bags of ice on a food stamp card----Should that make me mad? , Is that the intended purpose?
    The EBT rules are weird. Not only do they allow her to buy the ice, they also allow her to buy Cokes, Rolos, and Oreos. But not a rotisserie chicken. I think those rules are whole 'nother issue.

My answer to the original question ("Why do you think conservatives approve of crony capitalism/fascism?") wasn't very clear so I'll try again. This is just an illustration of what I am trying to say using Walmart as an example.

Tax cuts for the rich would, presumably, benefit the owners of Walmart who are already billionaires.

At the same time, Walmart employees earn so little that they qualify for food stamps, costing taxpayers billions. Source: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-low-...illion-a-year/

To me it makes no sense to cut taxes for someone who won't even pay their employees enough that they can stay off the public dole. That's already a tax cut, since the taxpayers are having to make up the difference.

But conservatives tend to vote for the guy who advocates cutting taxes for the rich and against the guy advocating raising the minimum wage.

Allegedly Pokish
    vCash

Nope! That's not okay either.
    Thanks.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

The EBT rules are weird. Not only do they allow her to buy the ice, they also allow her to buy Cokes, Rolos, and Oreos. But not a rotisserie chicken. I think those rules are whole 'nother issue.

My answer to the original question ("Why do you think conservatives approve of crony capitalism/fascism?") wasn't very clear so I'll try again. This is just an illustration of what I am trying to say using Walmart as an example.

Tax cuts for the rich would, presumably, benefit the owners of Walmart who are already billionaires.

At the same time, Walmart employees earn so little that they qualify for food stamps, costing taxpayers billions. Source: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-low-...illion-a-year/

To me it makes no sense to cut taxes for someone who won't even pay their employees enough that they can stay off the public dole. That's already a tax cut, since the taxpayers are having to make up the difference.

But conservatives tend to vote for the guy who advocates cutting taxes for the rich and against the guy advocating raising the minimum wage.
    ---How many Billionaries are in this country?----I pay a great deal of tax and don't have a Billion $-----I don't get any special perks from the Gov't-----I have many employees and the lowest paid one makes almost twice the min wage and all have health insurance----Its funny when people think you can hire an employee that can be given much if any responsibility and pay them min wage----Try and think about all the people in the high tax bracket that don't have anywhere near a Billion $$s