vCash

Big 12 Officiating

For your consideration:

OSU @ Texas: several calls
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGv8suKjdzE

KSU @ OSU: Phantom 1st Down
    http://www.bringonthecats.com/2015/1...-costs-k-state

OSU @ TT: Targeting

I've been reading on Tech's boards over on Scout that they believe this to all be the work of the same officiating crew: Alan Eck & Co. Of course they also seem to think that the one targeting penalty is somehow also to fault for their defense allowing OSU to score 70 points on them. Aggie logic aside, it sure seems like the number of bad calls is a lot higher this year, or maybe they are just receiving more publicity? All the same, I kinda hope we don't draw Eck for our game in Stillwater this season.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Big 12 Officiating

While Eck's crew is definitely flag-happy, imo, I can't say that any of the flags they threw in our W Va game were the wrong calls except for that 1 no-call which should've been targeting on the W Va safety. That crew only called 7 penalties on each team in the OSU/TT game, which was toned-down for them.

While I got to watch that targeting penalty today, I can't say that it wasn't targeting by the lay of the rules, which the announcers thought it definitely wasn't -- face-mask up and not leading by the crown of the helmet seemed to be their 2 cents, but I'm not sure that the face mask isn't part of the helmet in relating to the targeting rule. Just my opinion, but I thought that it would be over-turned by the replay official.
    When they kicked the TT player out, I thought it was a screw-job, but I think the whole rule needs a re-think, especially for the penalty phase besides the 15 yards. Perhaps something like if confirmed the player has to sit for 1 or 2 defensive series and not ejected, if he gets another one then he's out. Sort of like a flagrant 2 vs 1 in BB. Also, it's hard to believe that the same crew didn't call targeting at all against the W Va safety in our game. To me, that was a text book targeting call.

I just hope hope the Big 12 refs aren't being pressured by the Big-12 office to be flag-happy in order for the conference to keep at least 1 team undefeated and eligible for the 4 team playoff.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

When it happened, I just laughed at Texas finally getting the calls going the other way, but watching that slow-motion replay of the ref pursuing Strong and initiating the physical contact with him does help me to understand why tinfoil hats are trending this season.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

The whole targeting rule is crap. It's already hard enough on defenses these days without having an extra thing to think about when making a tackle or coverage play. Sure i'll agree you shouldn't lead with your helmet contacting a defenseless player's helmet. However, there has been multiple calls I've seen where the defender touches the opposing player's helmet with his when only trying to tackle with his arms or the shoulder and it just happens to come in contact. No wonder offenses score 40+ constantly these days. They'll call these targeting plays non stop but not pick pass plays that baylor constantly runs... It's all about entertainment value... and scoring is in style.

vCash

XII and Pac 12 officiating is a disgrace. It's pathetic that I think it's an advantage for us when we have home OOC games and get the officials from the conference of whoever we're playing.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by aurorasooner View Post
    While Eck's crew is definitely flag-happy, imo, I can't say that any of the flags they threw in our W Va game were the wrong calls except for that 1 no-call which should've been targeting on the W Va safety. That crew only called 7 penalties on each team in the OSU/TT game, which was toned-down for them.

While I got to watch that targeting penalty today, I can't say that it wasn't targeting by the lay of the rules, which the announcers thought it definitely wasn't -- face-mask up and not leading by the crown of the helmet seemed to be their 2 cents, but I'm not sure that the face mask isn't part of the helmet in relating to the targeting rule. Just my opinion, but I thought that it would be over-turned by the replay official.
    When they kicked the TT player out, I thought it was a screw-job, but I think the whole rule needs a re-think, especially for the penalty phase besides the 15 yards. Perhaps something like if confirmed the player has to sit for 1 or 2 defensive series and not ejected, if he gets another one then he's out. Sort of like a flagrant 2 vs 1 in BB. Also, it's hard to believe that the same crew didn't call targeting at all against the W Va safety in our game. To me, that was a text book targeting call.

I just hope hope the Big 12 refs aren't being pressured by the Big-12 office to be flag-happy in order for the conference to keep at least 1 team undefeated and eligible for the 4 team playoff.
    ...you don't target with your face...period

ss
    "You can trouble me for a warm glass of shut-the-hell-up"

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

But because it was in the open field against a player who was trying to catch the ball, it’s a penalty or at least it is open to be called.

Here’s what Fox Sports analyst and former official Mike Pereira had to say about the call on Twitter: “Those asking about the targeting at TTU, I don’t like it but facemask to facemask is a foul by rule against a defenseless receiver.”

Pereira might have been forced to make the call, even if he thought it was stupid.

So, the official did what he had to do.

I can’t say it was his fault.

It’s the rule.

It’s awful.

http://lubbockonline.com/filed-onlin...o-poor-and-why

Saving the World one Power plant at a Time
    vCash

Man it feels good to run things in the Big 12.
    OKLAHOMA STATE WRESTLING: 34 Team National Championships, 137 Individual National Champions, 48 Conference Championships, 435 All-Americans, 41 Olympians, NCAA Record 84 Straight Wins

OU FOOTBALL: 7 National Championships, 45 Conference Championships, 153 All-Americans, Zero Olympians, NCAA Record 47 Straight Wins

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyMRW View Post
    lol, you actually think you'll finish the Big 12 without a couple of losses? I'd bet (if I did such) you'll end up with 2-3 losses. BU, TCU, OU...2 of those will beat ya, maybe all 3, but enjoy it while you can!

On a serious note - what will be your opinion and or the general fan base when that happens? Going from undefeated tied for 1st to possibly 4th

I don't say this because I "hate" osu...I really don't care either way. BUT, your Big 12 have shown a lot of concerns...more so than the other 3.

won by
    7 in OT
    48 ku who hasn't
    17 7 coming in the last seconds...

just saying, relative to the other schools BU, TCU, even OU (yeah bring in the ut loss) you haven't played as well, either offensively or defensively.
    Last edited by Soonerjeepman; 11/5/2015 at 04:34 PM.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Sooner Starter
    vCash

tap the brakes, dude. OSU has a lot of work to do before they can claim to "run" the Big12.

I'll tip my cap if they manage to run the table, but I think it isextremely unlikely.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by CincySooner View Post
    tap the brakes, dude. OSU has a lot of work to do before they can claim to "run" the Big12.

I'll tip my cap if they manage to run the table, but I think it isextremely unlikely.
    I don't think you get what Cowboy is saying.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

I understand, it's getting calls....but you could make an assumption (I know) that IF osu wasn't undefeated they wouldn't get those calls...

guess I'm assuming that is what ya mean.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Saving the World one Power plant at a Time
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    lol, you actually think you'll finish the Big 12 without a couple of losses? I'd bet (if I did such) you'll end up with 2-3 losses. BU, TCU, OU...2 of those will beat ya, maybe all 3, but enjoy it while you can!

On a serious note - what will be your opinion and or the general fan base when that happens? Going from undefeated tied for 1st to possibly 4th

I don't say this because I "hate" osu...I really don't care either way. BUT, your Big 12 have shown a lot of concerns...more so than the other 3.

won by
    7 in OT
    48 ku who hasn't
    17 7 coming in the last seconds...

just saying, relative to the other schools BU, TCU, even OU (yeah bring in the ut loss) you haven't played as well, either offensively or defensively.
    Personally 0-3 would be a major letdown for me personally as before the season, I only had us losing to WV. Many though, think that we are a year out from being a true contender because of youth and inexperience, but this years schedule is just too good for us. I think a lot of people have us going 1-2 down the stretch so there won't be a lot of crying from the fanbase, depending upon how those 2 losses happened. If they're true blowouts, then yea people will be pissed, but close hard fought games where the other team came out on top is just football, and you can't do anything but tip your hat to the other team that they were better.

Defensively, I'd say we've played better than everyone but maybe OU as they have looked good since the UT abomination. 3 of those wins have come on the road though, which is a lot more difficult than at home. The transitive property doesn't work for me, as teams play different every week due to whatever reason. We are probably the worst of the 4 offensively, but I like our defense to hold up against the other 3 if we remain healthy. Having the best DL can do nothing but help us.
    OKLAHOMA STATE WRESTLING: 34 Team National Championships, 137 Individual National Champions, 48 Conference Championships, 435 All-Americans, 41 Olympians, NCAA Record 84 Straight Wins

OU FOOTBALL: 7 National Championships, 45 Conference Championships, 153 All-Americans, Zero Olympians, NCAA Record 47 Straight Wins

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I don't think you get what Cowboy is saying.

I guess not... coffee isn't working for me this morning.

vCash

Been seeing some talk on FB saying that Eck and Co. are slated to ref tomorrow's game but I haven't been able to confirm this anywhere. Has anyone here heard anything?

vCash

Hows that working out for ya?
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !