Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Fire Mike and bring back BV?

I was talking OU football recently with someone who suggested this very thing. I laughed and said NO WAY. I went on to say that such a move would be widely opposed, not embraced. Am I right or wrong?
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Fire Mike and bring back BV?

I don't think BV would come back. Heck, he might be in the running for Spurrier's job at this point.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    I don't think BV would come back. Heck, he might be in the running for Spurrier's job at this point.
    ^This. His next gig will be HBC - not necessarily replacing *the* HBC, but it won't be another DC job.

vCash

[I] agree but that is not the point,the point is would firing Mike and hiring(or trying) be a good idea.
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoopified View Post
    [I] agree but that is not the point,the point is would firing Mike and hiring(or trying) be a good idea.
    No.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoopified View Post
    No
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

vCash

BGB will NOT fire his brother. Mike would have to resign, and I doubt Bob(BGB) would even allow that.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! View Post
    BGB will NOT fire his brother. Mike would have to resign, and I doubt Bob(BGB) would even allow that.
    Oh, I think if Mike resigned, he would and Bob would let him. Hell, he's done it once.

vCash

I think Bob would rather retire than fire his brother. There's a chance, though, that Mike could be "encouraged" to find another HC job.

vCash

Oh, I think if Mike resigned, he would and Bob would let him. Hell, he's done it once.
    Well yeah, what I mean is I think Bob wouldn't want to be ANY part of putting pressure on Mike to resign.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash
    As much as I think Mike has trouble scheming against good spread offenses, I don't think BV would do any better. I think Mike was better suited when scheming against traditional pro-set offenses, with the occasional clunker or two thrown in.
    OU fan since '88. Pissing off the Sunshine Pumpers since I've been on this site.
    Posted from iOS app

vCash

Let's not forget that recruiting was declining in Venables final years and let's not forget those defensive performances against Texas Tech in Norman, Baylor and OSU in 2011. Not to mention, when Venables took over, his weaknesses was his linebackers getting shredded over the middle and Texas Tech won every yer in Lubbock when Venables was the defensive coordinator including once in Norman. I don't even want to think what Baylor and TCU would do to his defenses now.

He's doing well in the ACC, but the ACC has a good number of weak and/or one-dimensional offenses. There isn't a harder conference to defend than the Big 12 offenses.

vCash

Zero chance of that happening. If things don't get better, I can see OU pushing Mike to explore other options. I doubt Bob would outright fire him. I don't think OU or Bob would ever rehire a guy they let go regardless of how successful he has become since. They're way to proud for that.

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

Not sure what some of this fanbase's obsession is with regurgitating the same coaches who have been here..Honest to God, it's incredibly stupid. I was considered a pro-Brent guy here but that ship has sailed.

It's why I was against bringing Mike back(don't hire someone you can't fire), I'm against bringing Mangino back, etc... Get over the past and learn to move on..Sweet F'n Christ.
    Bazinga

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoops the eternal pimp View Post
    Not sure what some of this fanbase's obsession is with regurgitating the same coaches who have been here..Honest to God, it's incredibly stupid. I was considered a pro-Brent guy here but that ship has sailed.

It's why I was against bringing Mike back(don't hire someone you can't fire), I'm against bringing Mangino back, etc... Get over the past and learn to move on..Sweet F'n Christ.
    I approve this message. In Mike's case, there were red flags all over that situation. If it looked like Mike was getting preferential treatment, it could cause all kinds of problem in the coaching staff. And I wasn't even considering the possibility he might do a poor job. It worked before for a short while when Mike and Brent shared duties, but now Mike sure looks to be the HC's golden child (or bro).

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

The BV ship has sailed. It would be detrimental to his career to take a step back at this point. He's finally out from behind the Stoops shadow, he essentially got demoted when Bob brought Mike back (from sole to co-DC) and now he's proving that he can succeed away from Norman.

Mind you, I fully expect Clemp-son to choke like they always do every season, but HEY! Enjoy the ride while it last, Tigers*

*Same with you, Memphis**

**I guess LSU too***

***But not Mizzou. Those Tigers suck****

****And eff Auburn. Those Tigers also suck

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I approve this message. In Mike's case, there were red flags all over that situation. If it looked like Mike was getting preferential treatment, it could cause all kinds of problem in the coaching staff. And I wasn't even considering the possibility he might do a poor job. It worked before for a short while when Mike and Brent shared duties, but now Mike sure looks to be the HC's golden child (or bro).
    Aside from Striker and Bond our LB play seems very laid back. They are out there, they make some plays but they are not a presence/force like we used to have for a very long time. They are just ok. I really hoped that Kish was part of the house cleaning last year, but I think he is the DC's golden child.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Rock Hard Corn Frog's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoops the eternal pimp View Post

Well I'm not saying fire Stoops but if he left I wouldn't be too upset with Kevin Sumlin.
    "My landmass erupts with kittens."

vCash

Why would he come back?------I bet he goes to K-State when the Old Man leaves

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by REDREX View Post
    Why would he come back?------I bet he goes to K-State when the Old Man leaves
    I bet he's got the job if he wants it.