Thread: STeelers game

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

STeelers game

I'm watching the Steelers and SD just went ahead 20-17 and kicked-off with 2:56 on the clock. It's a touchback, but the clock is running and the Steelers snap the ball at the 20 with 2:38 on the clock. Shouldn't the clock still be at 2:56? Clock should never start on a touchback, let alone keep running. But the coaches didn't complain or the announcers notice. Any any reason for this?

vCash

Re: STeelers game

I guess they didn't need those 18 seconds.

vCash

Noticed that too, the clock started when the kickoff hit the ground, and stopped at 2:38 for no reason. Well, except that it shouldn't have been running at all at that point. Maybe the ref had a different time and the game clock was being adjusted.

I was watching thinking Landry might finally get a shot, as Vick was pretty wild. Shoulda been at least 3 picks that I saw just casually watching. But he pulled through.

vCash

We were not imagining things. I just saw the "clock error" issue scroll by on ESPN. The Steelers should have started the drive with 2:56, but the clock ran off 18 seconds before they snapped the ball. Never know, it could have actually worked in their favor because the plays they called were based on the time remaining and they won. Might have been a different story with the extra time. It certainly would have been a sh.it storm had they lost due to running out of time - and it came close.

What is amazing is that the Steelers coaches weren't all over it. A bit less amazing that the Chargers didn't speak up

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jiminy View Post
    Noticed that too, the clock started when the kickoff hit the ground, and stopped at 2:38 for no reason. Well, except that it shouldn't have been running at all at that point. Maybe the ref had a different time and the game clock was being adjusted.

I was watching thinking Landry might finally get a shot, as Vick was pretty wild. Shoulda been at least 3 picks that I saw just casually watching. But he pulled through.
    In the NFL it is a live ball when the ball hits the ground in the endzone. (For college it's a touchback.) Maybe that is why the clock starts then.

Of course 18 seconds it quite a long time...

vCash

ESPN linky

"...
    The incident occurred after a touchback as the Steelers gained possession for their game-winning drive late in the fourth quarter. By NFL rule, the clock should not have started because the receiving team possessed the ball in the end zone without taking it onto the field of play."

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkjsooner View Post
    In the NFL it is a live ball when the ball hits the ground in the endzone. (For college it's a touchback.) Maybe that is why the clock starts then.

Of course 18 seconds it quite a long time...
    Nope, it was called out as an error. http://nesn.com/2015/10/nfl-statemen...gers-mnf-game/