Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Just how bad will this season be?

Quote Originally Posted by BoomerMcSooner View Post
    Stoops has not done as well in his second decade. But in Stoops' bad years, OU is still 8th best winning percentage among power 5 teams...And he is 6th among active power 5 coaches over the period...

We have high expectations because historically we win about 75% of our games, and expect a MNC every 8 years or so. But I can't imagine him being on the hot seat among serious decision makers unless he fails to win 9 games for several years in a row.
    Bob has gone from coaching at a Bud-Barry level ,now he is producing Gibbs level teams. That was not acceptable then and IMHO is not any more so now. Bob has had 6+ years to reverse the slide and has failed to do so, in fact the slide appears to be accelerating.
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

Quote Originally Posted by Snrinhouston View Post
    When a talking head mentions elite programs, you hear him/her say something like, "The Alabamas, Ohio States, Baylors, Florida States of the world". They don't mention Oklahoma in that sentence anymore.

Wake up!
    The Baylors... LMFAO!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by kbsooner21 View Post
    The Baylors... LMFAO!!!!
    I see nothing wrong with that.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    YOU wouldnt Moran !
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    Just that his argument is about all this tradition and competing for national championships...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by kbsooner21 View Post
    Just that his argument is about all this tradition and competing for national championships...
    I never read anything about tradition or prior national championships in his comment. Neither of which are all that important except to the member institutions. I took his comment to mean the here/now/very recent landscape of college football.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    So now we have a magical Nov 1 date that defines acceptably competing for a NC? Is this something that Moses brought down off the mountain?

All the complaints and whining I see here are just that. This is the natural ebb and flow of major college football. Ask Nebraska, Penn State, USC, Tennessee, Michigan how easy replacing long-time winning coaches is. Even Florida and Texas with all of their built in advantages have had bad times recently. Now there are people (you) who think we should fire the all-time winning-est coach in OU history because he isn't living up to some arbitrary standard you think needs to be met? The things OU has going for it are a very clean, stable program and a great tradition. Bob Stoops is a large part of that.

Is it hard competing in the new big money landscape of mega-television contracts, rules designed to create parity and ethically challenged coaches fighting to grab their share of the pie even if it means leaving scorched earth in their wake? Yep it is and Stoops has done the job well for 16+ years. So when you say it's time for Stoops to go because somehow there must be a better coach available I think you are just chasing you tail.
    Do you even listen to the people you argue with?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHumanAlphabet View Post
    Boren has become a PC babbling idiot and a megalomaniac leader. All he wants is a place in history and memories like Cross. After what he did to The Pride, I will not support him or donate to the University until he leaves.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoopified View Post
    Bob has gone from coaching at a Bud-Barry level ,now he is producing Gibbs level teams. That was not acceptable then and IMHO is not any more so now. Bob has had 6+ years to reverse the slide and has failed to do so, in fact the slide appears to be accelerating.
    What has been most exasperating as a fan is that I was hoping Mike Stoops still had defensive coaching excellence in him, like he demonstrated 2000-3003. In his second coming to OU, it just ain't happening. That failure has shone an alarming light on the current state of our coaching.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

I'm thinking Bob would rather go down with the ship than fire his brother. Now, he might be able to get him another job somewhere....but he isn't "firing" him.

someone mentioned he'll stay in Norman til his sons graduate hs...what year are they?
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Quote Originally Posted by stoopified View Post
    When do you imagine this slide started? 2009 when we went 8-5?

Stoops followed with 4-straight 10+ win seasons (all of them better than any of Gibbs') and a .811 winning percentage. Then he had another 8-5 down year.

Stoops has never had a sustained run of bad seasons like Barry did in '81-'83.

The OU fan base was full of folks that would have gladly traded Switzer for Schnellenberger following the '83 season.

And those folks were more rational than the "fire Stoops" crowd is now based on recent performance history.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by manateepower View Post
    Do you even listen to the people you argue with?
    No. On SF I read what they say.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

If we don't win Saturday, then it may be a toss-up which team has the most wins, us or the Whorns. It's just hard to believe that the dumpster-fire we were all talking about down in Austin, might actually be just a little north of Lindsay St.

BTW, I don't think the Whorns are any good at all, and we just completely screwed the pooch last Saturday. They may only get one more W against Kansas and ISU may whoop them.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Rock Hard Corn Frog's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by aurorasooner View Post
    If we don't win Saturday, then it may be a toss-up which team has the most wins, us or the Whorns. It's just hard to believe that the dumpster-fire we were all talking about down in Austin, might actually be just a little north of Lindsay St.

BTW, I don't think the Whorns are any good at all, and we just completely screwed the pooch last Saturday. They may only get one more W against Kansas and ISU may whoop them.

Texas isn't going to a bowl. We were their bowl.
    "My landmass erupts with kittens."

vCash

The horns going to a bowl is a possibility. They have already played TCU,OSU and OU and they will lose to BU. They would need to win 4 or the other 5 - not an easy task, but it could happen.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    I'm thinking Bob would rather go down with the ship than fire his brother. Now, he might be able to get him another job somewhere....but he isn't "firing" him.

someone mentioned he'll stay in Norman til his sons graduate hs...what year are they?
    Freshmen, I think?

Nope...sophs.

http://newsok.com/article/5441480

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    No. On SF I read what they say.
    If you're going to be annoyingly literal, you're not doing that either.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHumanAlphabet View Post
    Boren has become a PC babbling idiot and a megalomaniac leader. All he wants is a place in history and memories like Cross. After what he did to The Pride, I will not support him or donate to the University until he leaves.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by manateepower View Post
    If you're going to be annoyingly literal, you're not doing that either.
    That's the type of response that is indicated when somebody takes a drive-by swipe for no good reason.

Yes, I took his post(s) into account. I disagreed.

Grossly Pessimistic Forecast: Lose to KSU, Baylor, TCU & OSU, to finish regular season 7-5

Moderately Pessimistic: Lose to Baylor, TCU, OSU to finish regular season 8-4

Somewhat Optimistic: Lose to Baylor, TCU to finish regular season 9-3

Optimistic: Lose only to Baylor to finish regular season 10-2

Wildly Optimistic: Run the table the rest of the way & finish 11-1 uhhhhh

All this assumes Kansas, Iowa State and Texas Tech cooperate

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 oupride's Avatar
    vCash

Let's wait and see how the season plays out. This is not the same team as last year.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Rock Hard Corn Frog's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by oupride View Post
    Let's wait and see how the season plays out. This is not the same team as last year.
    I still have plenty on concerns but after yesterday's performance I'm giving myself a big STFU for a while. At least for one week we looked like a NC contender. I know it was KSU but that is as bad as Snyder has been whipped in a long time.
    "My landmass erupts with kittens."