Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Just how bad will this season be?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I agree - you could see them winning out. Just try real hard not to wakeup.
    Ha, this is pretty funny but, TECHNICALLY, winning out would almost certainly
    put OU in the playoffs. REALISTICALLY, BU and TCU both make that unlikely.
    If there is another hiccup at KSU then a 5 loss season is real. Having said all
    that, I'm all in for the Sooners, just like I have been for the last 63 years!!!
    Boomer!!

Sooner Starter
    vCash

I don't want Bob Stoops to leave, I just want him to get his mojo back. We have to recruit better, it's the lifeblood of the program...
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    Stoops has a better win % than those guys ex-UM. Head to head Stoops beat Sabans' Bama team and Les Miles record looks remarkably similar to Stoops over the past few years and even worse prior to that. Miles was 8-5 last year. Secondly all of those guys are currently employed so what is you point?
    My point was a response to a post that said it's delusional to think that a team can compete for a national championship on a regular basis. I am pointing out three coaches that regularly compete (notice I did not say win) for National Championships. And let me further define "compete", as still being in contention as of November 1. For seven straight years, Bob can't even get to November with the Sooners being in the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by cherokeebrewer View Post
    I don't want Bob Stoops to leave, I just want him to get his mojo back. We have to recruit better, it's the lifeblood of the program...

Yeah, and I just want to get regularly invited to the parties at the Playboy Mansion. Hell, we all want things. The very narrow question (the only question) is how likely is it that Bob gets his mojo back? What evidence have we seen over the past 7 years that indicates this will happen?

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

I had OU losing 3-4 games this year so I am not too disappointed really..
    Bazinga

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Snrinhouston View Post
    Yeah, and I just want to get regularly invited to the parties at the Playboy Mansion. Hell, we all want things. The very narrow question (the only question) is how likely is it that Bob gets his mojo back? What evidence have we seen over the past 7 years that indicates this will happen?
    I'll let the haters answer that question, I'm too kind and gentle but I do predict 8-5 again for this year and that's certainly not acceptable...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

My point was a response to a post that said it's delusional to think that a team can compete for a national championship on a regular basis. I am pointing out three coaches that regularly compete (notice I did not say win) for National Championships. And let me further define "compete", as still being in contention as of November 1. For seven straight years, Bob can't even get to November with the Sooners being in the hunt.
    So now we have a magical Nov 1 date that defines acceptably competing for a NC? Is this something that Moses brought down off the mountain?

All the complaints and whining I see here are just that. This is the natural ebb and flow of major college football. Ask Nebraska, Penn State, USC, Tennessee, Michigan how easy replacing long-time winning coaches is. Even Florida and Texas with all of their built in advantages have had bad times recently. Now there are people (you) who think we should fire the all-time winning-est coach in OU history because he isn't living up to some arbitrary standard you think needs to be met? The things OU has going for it are a very clean, stable program and a great tradition. Bob Stoops is a large part of that.

Is it hard competing in the new big money landscape of mega-television contracts, rules designed to create parity and ethically challenged coaches fighting to grab their share of the pie even if it means leaving scorched earth in their wake? Yep it is and Stoops has done the job well for 16+ years. So when you say it's time for Stoops to go because somehow there must be a better coach available I think you are just chasing you tail.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoops the eternal pimp View Post
    I had OU losing 3-4 games this year so I am not too disappointed really..
    Same here. I didn't have a particular record in mind, but I am starting to get disappointed. I knew this team wouldn't be great, but what I was looking for was a turnaround with evidence of building into something. I figured it would take the entire season so see if the coaching shuffle and new offense would pay off. I still that's true, so still too early to tell. But I thought we would see signs by now and I don't see a bunch of improvement since the first game. But sometimes learning is "gestalt" and shows itself leaps rather than gradually. But I'm starting the think it's the teachers and not just the students holding things back.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

So now we have a magical Nov 1 date that defines acceptably competing for a NC? Is this something that Moses brought down off the mountain?

All the complaints and whining I see here are just that. This is the natural ebb and flow of major college football. Ask Nebraska, Penn State, USC, Tennessee, Michigan how easy replacing long-time winning coaches is. Even Florida and Texas with all of their built in advantages have had bad times recently. Now there are people (you) who think we should fire the all-time winning-est coach in OU history because he isn't living up to some arbitrary standard you think needs to be met? The things OU has going for it are a very clean, stable program and a great tradition. Bob Stoops is a large part of that.

Is it hard competing in the new big money landscape of mega-television contracts, rules designed to create parity and ethically challenged coaches fighting to grab their share of the pie even if it means leaving scorched earth in their wake? Yep it is and Stoops has done the job well for 16+ years. So when you say it's time for Stoops to go because somehow there must be a better coach available I think you are just chasing you tail.
    Your arguments might have some validity if Stoops could at least beat a 1-4 Texas team or a 7-5 Oklahoma State team. Forget the national championship, we can't even beat a horrible Texas team that was on the verge of complete collapse at this point. Instead of delivering the knockout blow to Charlie Strong and their entire program, we watch them run the ball down our throats all game.

In a perfect world, I'd love for Bob to get back to where we were in the early 2000s, when we played for NCs every single year. But right now, we're an afterthought in our own CONFERENCE, at a time when the conference isn't even as strong as it was in earlier years.

I admit that I'm on the fence when it comes to the coaching staff - I don't think Bob needs to go, but I do think he needs to make a change to the defensive coaching staff namely Mike. I applaud his changes from last year, but I think he missed out on the final change, he should have shown Mike the door and made Monty the DC straight up. The defensive scheming has been lack luster, and it shows a lack of preparation on Mikes behalf, and not using players where they are best suited to succeed. I am an alum/season ticket holder, and I love the program, yes it bothers me when we lose, yes I want to win the NC or conference championship each year, but that's not realistic. But as a Sooner fan I've come to expect more than what we've seen over the past couple of years. I only have to look at other programs like USC that are in total collapse, and others that experience the same things as we are now, to know that things can turn around. Remember Bob is the winning-est coach in OU history, and deserves a chance to turn it around. So take a deep breath and relax, enjoy the rest of the season, take in the fall air, and know that this week will be better than last week, and next year will be better than this year. Glass is half full - BOOMER SOONER!

Again, you don't get it. Traditions must be upheld or they start to fade away. The OU brand has been steadily tarnishing over the past 7 years. Are you so blind as to not see that?

Why do you think we continue to slip down the recruiting rankings? Why is the OU headgear not prominently displayed on sets behind the talking heads anymore? Take a look at a general promo that a network shows trumpeting it's college football coverage. In any of those fast moving clips, do you see OU players anymore?

When a talking head mentions elite programs, you hear him/her say something like, "The Alabamas, Ohio States, Baylors, Florida States of the world". They don't mention Oklahoma in that sentence anymore.

Wake up!

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by steveousiu View Post
    I applaud his changes from last year, but I think he missed out on the final change, he should have shown Mike the door and made Monty the DC straight up.
    I tend to agree with this but I suppose it's gotta be hard to fire your brother. Don't necessarily make it right but at the end of the day, it is what it is...Ha!

vCash

Again, you don't get it. Traditions must be upheld or they start to fade away. The OU brand has been steadily tarnishing over the past 7 years. Are you so blind as to not see that?

Why do you think we continue to slip down the recruiting rankings? Why is the OU headgear not prominently displayed on sets behind the talking heads anymore? Take a look at a general promo that a network shows trumpeting it's college football coverage. In any of those fast moving clips, do you see OU players anymore?

When a talking head mentions elite programs, you hear him/her say something like, "The Alabamas, Ohio States, Baylors, Florida States of the world". They don't mention Oklahoma in that sentence anymore.

Wake up!
    So your enjoyment of OU football is contingent on 'competing' for National Championships, having helmets displayed behind talking heads and being featured in more promo clips. And in order to make this happen we need to fire Bob Stoops and find some Vince Lombardi clone to take over the OU program. Is that about right?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 BermudaSooner's Avatar
    vCash

I'm choosing to believe the debacle over the weekend wakes this team up and we go on a wonderful ride the rest of the season. I'm discounting all facts and any rational arguments that go against this belief.
    "You get no moral credit for forcing other people to do what you think is right."---Penn Jillette

"It's what I do, I drink and I know things."---Tyrion Lannister

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

After the wholesale changes made last year, I expect Bob will most certainly be coaching next year. Heck, Lincoln Riley is playing with another regimes players. I am salivating at seeing what he does with his own recruits after he got that hot shot h.s. quarterback to commit.

KSU showed that TCU can be handled. Baylor is another creature. I could live with 10-2 this year. but dang, why did Texas have to be a loss of all years?...
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

So your enjoyment of OU football is contingent on 'competing' for National Championships, having helmets displayed behind talking heads and being featured in more promo clips. And in order to make this happen we need to fire Bob Stoops and find some Vince Lombardi clone to take over the OU program. Is that about right?

Yes, you've accurately (NOT!) encapsulated my argument.

You are without hope. No point in responding to you further.

vCash

Yes, you've accurately (NOT!) encapsulated my argument.

You are without hope. No point in responding to you further.
    That's a shame. I'm sure there are others here that will be more sympathetic to your complaining.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by swardboy View Post
    After the wholesale changes made last year, I expect Bob will most certainly be coaching next year. Heck, Lincoln Riley is playing with another regimes players. I am salivating at seeing what he does with his own recruits after he got that hot shot h.s. quarterback to commit.

KSU showed that TCU can be handled. Baylor is another creature. I could live with 10-2 this year. but dang, why did Texas have to be a loss of all years?...
    ^This. Tech also showed TCU can be handled.

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

Did anyone think we were competing for a NC this season?
    Bazinga

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Our offense is nowhere near as good at K-State or Tech right now, and that is the only way to beat TCU -- to outscore them. Nobody is shutting them down, and their defense is getting healthier as the season goes on, which means they will probably be playing much better on that side of the ball by the time we play them.