Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okie35's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Who needs more evidence?

Quote Originally Posted by PhiDeltBeers View Post
    We averaged about 4 yards a carry if you deduct sacks....much better than the perceived 1.8.
    Yup ... And to soonerjeepman um TCU isn't more talented on defense that's for sure
    "If you're going to be at Oklahoma, you need to win, you need to contribute, you need to do all the little things to make this team succeed.'" T-Lew

vCash

TCU likely beats us like a rented mule - but I'm willing to be amused by anyone who wants to try and convince themselves otherwise!
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Lots of talk about not having great talent anymore, you mean we don't have national championship talent like:

Jeremy Wilson-Guest
    Antwone Savage
    Josh Norman
    Barry Hollieman
    Frank Romero
    Rocky Bright
    Ryan Fischer
    Ontei Jones
    Seth Litrell

We have WAY more talent than that 2000 team, the difference is those guys blocked on every play, wrapped up on every tackle and caught every ball that hit their hands. The 2000 coaches demanded every player be fundamentally sound. Every since we've tried to win with recruiting stars and schemes.
    Quote Originally Posted by XingTheRubicon View Post
    Betting on OSU to embrace prosperity is like waiting at a liquor store to meet a hooker that's returning your watch.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okie35 View Post
    Well bye fans don't let the door hit you when you leave
    Seriously? You're going to play the bad fan card after the 2nd straight ugly loss to one of our top 2 rivals? Besides, I don't think Bob, Joe or David care about the average fan unless there's not enough of us to fill the seats on game days.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I mean, if you want to ignore the fact that that team also had Josh Heupel, Quentin Griffen, Rocky Calmus, Derrick Strait, Michael Thompson (who would have been an NFL draft pick if not for the car accident), Andre Woolfolk, and Roy Williams, then I guess you can make any argument work.

Which players on this year's team do you think would have started in 2000?

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    Seriously? You're going to play the bad fan card after the 2nd straight ugly loss to one of our top 2 rivals? Besides, I don't think Bob, Joe or David care about the average fan unless there's not enough of us to fill the seats on game days.
    Therein lies the quickest path to change. If you want regime change, don't go to the games.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

“They hadn't shown it, but I knew it was there because we had just stopped the run,” (Mike) Stoops said. “They went to the same formation. They weren't going to run it again. We had them outnumbered and just didn't have our guys prepared, ready for the play.”

“When they got in that set and I knew it was coming and I didn't have them obviously prepared enough,” he said.

Well, at least he admitted he was part of the problem.

Then how about the broadcast crew giving away that one of our linemen set his feet differently depending on the play? I wonder if Texas players were tipped off in-game by that.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by graphster View Post
    I mean, if you want to ignore the fact that that team also had Josh Heupel, Quentin Griffen, Rocky Calmus, Derrick Strait, Michael Thompson (who would have been an NFL draft pick if not for the car accident), Andre Woolfolk, and Roy Williams, then I guess you can make any argument work.

Which players on this year's team do you think would have started in 2000?
    Griffin would be behind Samje and Mixon, Strait might start opposite Sanchez but he was a freshman, Wolfolk was still a WR - no Shepard, Thompson would be on the bench, Calmus wasn't as fast as Striker, Alexander or Evans, Roy and Heupel were pretty good though. Overall 2015 team has WAY more recruiting stars but they don't block, tackle and play fundamentals nearly as well - that was my point.
    Quote Originally Posted by XingTheRubicon View Post
    Betting on OSU to embrace prosperity is like waiting at a liquor store to meet a hooker that's returning your watch.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

C
    We have tech at home(I thought) and we will probably run that game because it's obvious. Thing is too we can play inspired after a loss. We will see how it turns out. I was saying it'll be a 10-2 year before the season and maybe next year will be the year.
    Yes tt at home. They still put up points...more than we do. I'll take tt. There have been obvious situations and that means nothing. I don't think our secondary can keep up...sad to say. As all world as Sanchez is proclaimed to b he gets burnt 2/3 times a game.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

As usual, lots of good, valid, posts on here regarding the once mighty sooners fall from grace. There are so many reasons for it. As a high school fb coach in Oklahoma and Texas for the past 35 years, I've been very familiar with our recruits coming out of Texas and knowing they were obviously 2nd tier players, wondering just why in the heck OU is signing them. During the Switzer years and on all of our National champ squads, check out how many Okies are on the roster and contributing generously. Hardly any in sight now. Is Oklahoma high school football really that bad and is this a major factor in our recruiting problems ?
    Sooners used to roll out great offensive lines on a yearly basis that excelled in both run and pass blocking and always gave great effort. We've got two tackles now that might not start for Langston. Unsound pass blocking schemes and even when we keep 2 running backs in to help pass block, they take poor angles or fail to even touch the blitzing DB or LBer. No urgency or discipline
    No depth in our undersized defensive front. I'm surprised so many folks on here give our secondary a pass. They may be the least effective group on our team. Definitely the worst tackling secondary in the nation. At times, they cover well, but their slowness to react and run the alleys on run support is totally unacceptable. OU used to start the most feared, sure tackling DB's in the nation. Where have you gone, Bobby Proctor ?
    I almost set my entire collection of Sooner regalia and apparel on fire today, but I opted against that action deciding it was a bit immature and Alabamian in nature.
    So, turn out the lights, the party's over. Stick a fork in me. I'm done. When we can't line up and beat a crappy Texas team littered with freshman and other underachievers, it's time for drastic measures. Stoops has gotten fat and comfy and has no desire to nut up and feed the monster any longer, or he has no strategy to do so. I really don't even think he is the top head coach in the Sooner state any more.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Mayfield won freshman/newcomer of the year with only 9 games ... He's obviously talented. He really didn't even play bad today. It's all good. I'm glad Tennessee won. Maybe we can fight our way back into the top 10. The season isn't over I'd love to spoil everything for TCU and Baylor.
    There ya go. Good attitude. I would be okay with what you say...if we could also beat K State, Tech and orange aggy.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Yup ... And to soonerjeepman um TCU isn't more talented on defense that's for sure
    maybe not...but we won't stop them...so it'll be an outscore thing...I was surprised ksu could keep scoring. That concerns me for our game against ksu.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie91 View Post
    Fire Stoops for who? The next Charlie Strong? The problem with firing a head coach that is typically in the top 15 is you may get what you ask for.
    ....It's not a lifetime appt., including Stoops Ive seen 7 coaches walking the sidelines in Norman....football at the University of Oklahoma would survive

ss
    "You can trouble me for a warm glass of shut-the-hell-up"

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Therealsouthsider View Post
    ....It's not a lifetime appt., including Stoops Ive seen 7 coaches walking the sidelines in Norman....football at the University of Oklahoma would survive

ss
    I've seen 9 coaches walking the sidelines in Norman. Dang, you wake up one morning and realize you're old. Not sure I'll make it for another OU/UT game...
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    Losing to your rivals, especially when they suck, is a good way to lose the fanbase.
    Their record may have said suck but they were a blown officials call against OSU and a missed PAT from being 3-2. If they are 3-2 the talk about them is completely different. Much of it is the media obsession with you're either great or horrible with nothing in between. In reality the NCAA has what they want like the NFL, a few good teams and a whole bunch of mediocre. There are no great teams any more like we grew up with, none.

Quote Originally Posted by manateepower View Post
    Let's keep making this tired, nonsensical argument that had been addressed and debunked for years.
    I don't see how that has been debunked, in fact I think it is pretty much proven when replacing one of the coaches who has won a national championship. It seems every high profile program has had the dud after the stud and some have had multiple duds before hiring a decent coach, not even one up to the level of the one they fired. Every program seems to have struggled after the change.

If Stoops decided to step down, I would shed no tears but I just don't feel right about firing a coach that wins much more than he loses. Especially when we already know Boren and Castiglione aren't going to fire him. Nebraska still hasn't recovered and will probably always be a mid pack Big 10 program. So the question is who do you think would be the coach for the 4-5 years after Stoops and who would then replace that coach?

How many schools that have won national championships or were in the discussion have gone downhill after their legendary coach was fired, left or retired.
    USC
    Penn State
    Michigan
    Tennessee
    Florida
    Georgia
    Nebraska
    Miami
    K-State (then they brought Snyder back)
    BYU
    Colorado
    UCLA
    Washington
    Ohio State
    Texas A&M
    Texas

Some of those have never again approached the Top 10 let alone national championship discussion.

How does Arkansas get them is what I want to know? They are bad. It's definitely not because of the SEC brand. You couldn't "pay" me to play there.
    Look at where most of those big, athletic linemen live, hint....it's inside the SEC and they are going to SEC schools. It is the SEC brand and because that is the region of the country they are from. The constant promotion of the SEC by ESPN and every other network or print publication feeds that mentality. Those players are looking to be drafted and they feel a mid level SEC school (and Arkansas) gives them a better shot at getting drafted because of the SEC reputation. Wisconsin gets a bunch of average linemen, they are big but exceedingly average. Ohio State is the only Big 10 school getting pro prospect linemen.

Part of the big problem is being yoked to Texas and OSU in conference alignments. You're not going to attract the SEC level players unless you are in the SEC. Not even the ACC with some overlap attracts very many SEC type of players.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Their record may have said suck but they were a blown officials call against OSU and a missed PAT from being 3-2. If they are 3-2 the talk about them is completely different. Much of it is the media obsession with you're either great or horrible with nothing in between. In reality the NCAA has what they want like the NFL, a few good teams and a whole bunch of mediocre. There are no great teams any more like we grew up with, none.

I don't see how that has been debunked, in fact I think it is pretty much proven when replacing one of the coaches who has won a national championship. It seems every high profile program has had the dud after the stud and some have had multiple duds before hiring a decent coach, not even one up to the level of the one they fired. Every program seems to have struggled after the change.

If Stoops decided to step down, I would shed no tears but I just don't feel right about firing a coach that wins much more than he loses. Especially when we already know Boren and Castiglione aren't going to fire him. Nebraska still hasn't recovered and will probably always be a mid pack Big 10 program. So the question is who do you think would be the coach for the 4-5 years after Stoops and who would then replace that coach?

How many schools that have won national championships or were in the discussion have gone downhill after their legendary coach was fired, left or retired.
    USC
    Penn State
    Michigan
    Tennessee
    Florida
    Georgia
    Nebraska
    Miami
    K-State (then they brought Snyder back)
    BYU
    Colorado
    UCLA
    Washington
    Ohio State
    Texas A&M
    Texas

Some of those have never again approached the Top 10 let alone national championship discussion.

Look at where most of those big, athletic linemen live, hint....it's inside the SEC and they are going to SEC schools. It is the SEC brand and because that is the region of the country they are from. The constant promotion of the SEC by ESPN and every other network or print publication feeds that mentality. Those players are looking to be drafted and they feel a mid level SEC school (and Arkansas) gives them a better shot at getting drafted because of the SEC reputation. Wisconsin gets a bunch of average linemen, they are big but exceedingly average. Ohio State is the only Big 10 school getting pro prospect linemen.

Part of the big problem is being yoked to Texas and OSU in conference alignments. You're not going to attract the SEC level players unless you are in the SEC. Not even the ACC with some overlap attracts very many SEC type of players.
    Where did you get that crystal ball that told you Texas would have won in overtime against Cal had it made the PAT?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Another blast from the past.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonesooner View Post
    As usual, lots of good, valid, posts on here regarding the once mighty sooners fall from grace. There are so many reasons for it. As a high school fb coach in Oklahoma and Texas for the past 35 years, I've been very familiar with our recruits coming out of Texas and knowing they were obviously 2nd tier players, wondering just why in the heck OU is signing them. During the Switzer years and on all of our National champ squads, check out how many Okies are on the roster and contributing generously. Hardly any in sight now. Is Oklahoma high school football really that bad and is this a major factor in our recruiting problems ?
    Sooners used to roll out great offensive lines on a yearly basis that excelled in both run and pass blocking and always gave great effort. We've got two tackles now that might not start for Langston. Unsound pass blocking schemes and even when we keep 2 running backs in to help pass block, they take poor angles or fail to even touch the blitzing DB or LBer. No urgency or discipline
    No depth in our undersized defensive front. I'm surprised so many folks on here give our secondary a pass. They may be the least effective group on our team. Definitely the worst tackling secondary in the nation. At times, they cover well, but their slowness to react and run the alleys on run support is totally unacceptable. OU used to start the most feared, sure tackling DB's in the nation. Where have you gone, Bobby Proctor ?
    I almost set my entire collection of Sooner regalia and apparel on fire today, but I opted against that action deciding it was a bit immature and Alabamian in nature.
    So, turn out the lights, the party's over. Stick a fork in me. I'm done. When we can't line up and beat a crappy Texas team littered with freshman and other underachievers, it's time for drastic measures. Stoops has gotten fat and comfy and has no desire to nut up and feed the monster any longer, or he has no strategy to do so. I really don't even think he is the top head coach in the Sooner state any more.
    OUCH!

I hope you coach better than you make predictions or evaluate talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Snrinhouston View Post
    That Bob Stoops can no longer compete for national championships.

For the 7th year in a row, OU has been eliminated from contention before November 1.
    Hmm eliminated from contention? This turned out to be totally and completely false.

Lol this thread is fun. Remind me to listen to these guys next year for sure!!