Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Who needs more evidence?

Every one sees what they want to see. I don't think being more committed to the run was going to make a huge difference in this game. We had a bunch of runs for 0-1 yards and that was certainly going to continue. But I do agree be needed to play a lot more "small-ball". That could be a little more running along with more of the short passing game. It's boring, but that's about all you can do if the D-line is out playing your O-line to that extend. But there is no way in hell we could have controlled the game with the run or even moved the sticks very often. But it was clear in the 1st qtr that BM was not going to have time for slow developing routes.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I mean, we called at least 5 or 6 WR screens. We dropped one on the first possession, and I don't think any of the others gained more than 5 or 6 yards.

Andrews is a glorified WR. He is not a good blocker. We don't have a good blocking TE or FB, which is evident when we get inside the 10 and need to run the ball with power.

We called several run plays that should have broken for big gains, but were blocked poorly. It's also hard to establish the running game when you are constantly behind the chains due to sacks and incompletions, and when you aren't picking up first downs to keep the drive alive. And then you get behind in the game and need to score points in a hurry. Playcalling is not the problem on offense. Execution is.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okie35's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Every one sees what they want to see. I don't think being more committed to the run was going to make a huge difference in this game. We had a bunch of runs for 0-1 yards and that was certainly going to continue. But I do agree be needed to play a lot more "small-ball". That could be a little more running along with more of the short passing game. It's boring, but that's about all you can do if the D-line is out playing your O-line to that extend. But there is no way in hell we could have controlled the game with the run or even moved the sticks very often. But it was clear in the 1st qtr that BM was not going to have time for slow developing routes.
    In the beginning yes it would've. The main reason why we came back against Tennessee we ran the ball more in the 2nd half and tired them out. If you get 5 yards on Perine's first carry why would you throw like 8 straight passes after?! You are right about small ball though, quick passes would've helped. Slants where they blitzed when they weren't in zone blitzes and more swing passes(they were open)
    "If you're going to be at Oklahoma, you need to win, you need to contribute, you need to do all the little things to make this team succeed.'" T-Lew

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OU Adonis's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okie35 View Post
    In the beginning yes it would've. The main reason why we came back against Tennessee we ran the ball more in the 2nd half and tired them out. If you get 5 yards on Perine's first carry why would you throw like 8 straight passes after?!

Because our offensive philosophy doesn't call for that mentality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley1
    Middle age is when high school chicks stop checking you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Melo
    Ones that big disgust me.
    http://www.myspace.com/ou_adonis

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OU Adonis View Post
    Because our offensive philosophy doesn't call for that mentality.
    I know but Lincoln Riley should know we have to be balanced, especially in this game. There's a reason why Baylor and TCU are successful. They run and pass.
    "If you're going to be at Oklahoma, you need to win, you need to contribute, you need to do all the little things to make this team succeed.'" T-Lew

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Perine ran for 5 yards on the second possession. The next play they called a reverse, which got hit for a loss of 3. Now it's 3rd and 8, and you have to pass.

Second possession, OU ran Perine on first and second down, threw a PA pass on third and short (picked up 12 on 3rd and 2). OU ran Perine on 1st and 10 and got 1 yard. Now it's second and 9. Mayfield takes a sack, and it's third and long.

Next possession, OU throws on first down (gains 9), calls a read option on second down (picks up a first). 1st and 10 we false start, so now it's 1st and 15. Pass to Mixon for 1 yard on first down. Mayfield sacked on second down. Now it's 3rd and 18. Screen pass to Mixon for 4 yards.

Next possession is the last possession of the first half, when we scored a FG.

First possession of the second half, we run the ball with Mixon on first down. Gain 4. Then Mayfield takes a sack on second down, and now it's third and long again and we go three and out.

Not sure how you put this on the playcalling man. We ran the ball plenty early on. What killed us were incompletions, penalties, and sacks which put us behind the chains and created long yardage situations.

OU passed the ball 28 times, and ran it 37. In a game where we were down by two possessions for almost the entire game. That's pretty balanced.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by graphster View Post
    Perine ran for 5 yards on the second possession. The next play they called a reverse, which got hit for a loss of 3. Now it's 3rd and 8, and you have to pass.

Second possession, OU ran Perine on first and second down, threw a PA pass on third and short (picked up 12 on 3rd and 2). OU ran Perine on 1st and 10 and got 1 yard. Now it's second and 9. Mayfield takes a sack, and it's third and long.

Next possession, OU throws on first down (gains 9), calls a read option on second down (picks up a first). 1st and 10 we false start, so now it's 1st and 15. Pass to Mixon for 1 yard on first down. Mayfield sacked on third down. Now it's 3rd and 18. Screen pass to Mixon for 4 yards.

Next possession is the last possession of the first half, when we scored a FG.

First possession of the second half, we run the ball with Mixon on first down. Gain 4. Then Mayfield takes a sack on second down, and now it's third and long again and we go three and out.

Not sure how you put this on the playcalling man. We ran the ball plenty early on. What killed us were incompletions, penalties, and sacks which put us behind the chains and created long yardage situations.

OU passed the ball 28 times, and ran it 37. In a game where we were down by two possessions for almost the entire game. That's pretty balanced.
    I bet the runs came mostly in the 2nd. It'll work for Tennessee not Texas. It was that trick play that really pissed me off. Run it again. I'm also sure we passed more on first downs too. Oh and the play allying was bad. They at blitzing how about quick passes and small ball like boulder79 said. Hell where was the zone read with Perine and Mixon that we marched down the field against tennessee. Yes the playcalling was bad.
    Last edited by Okie35; 10/10/2015 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie91 View Post
    Fire Stoops for who? The next Charlie Strong? The problem with firing a head coach that is typically in the top 15 is you may get what you ask for.
    Let's keep making this tired, nonsensical argument that had been addressed and debunked for years.

The answer to this question is I don't know. It's up to Castiglione to put in the work necessary to find the best possible replacement.

Just because we don't have the answer right now doesn't mean that we continue to condone and enable mediocrity and incompotence.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHumanAlphabet View Post
    Boren has become a PC babbling idiot and a megalomaniac leader. All he wants is a place in history and memories like Cross. After what he did to The Pride, I will not support him or donate to the University until he leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie91 View Post
    Maybe he does and Stoops is better than anyone on that list. If the reasoning is, "give it to the young hungry guy who wins at Northeast Texas A & Q Tech because he scores points", look at the "air-raid" we are running this year with the genius of an offensive coordinator.

At the end of the day young men have to put in the pads and do their job. In OU's case the talent isn't there.
    OU's talent hasn't "been there" for 7 years. Whose fault is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHumanAlphabet View Post
    Boren has become a PC babbling idiot and a megalomaniac leader. All he wants is a place in history and memories like Cross. After what he did to The Pride, I will not support him or donate to the University until he leaves.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by manateepower View Post
    Rests squarely on the head coaches shoulders, and this is as big a reason as any he has to go! Not that much top talent interested in heading to Norman these days, and after several years of relative mediocrity who can blame them?

What does the song say: The thrill is gone!
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by manateepower View Post
    We have talent and its the staff. Riley wasn't the answer. I wish someone run heavy was the OC... Or we could've recruited an Offensive line.

To be honest who would we get for Stoops? We will be set back for YEARS ... Chip isn't the answer we'd have a soft team. I mean you guys are spoiled and sure we are mediocre for ou standards but I can't handle a 4 win season. We will look like Nebraska is now. Fire 9 win Bo for a new coach that may only get you 6/7 wins. Yea I'll be fine with that *sarcasm*

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I bet the runs came mostly in the 2nd. It'll work for Tennessee not Texas. It was that trick play that really pissed me off. Run it again. I'm also sure we passed more on first downs too. Oh and the play allying was bad. They at blitzing how about quick passes and small ball like boulder79 said. Hell where was the zone read with Perine and Mixon that we marched down the field against tennessee. Yes the playcalling was bad.
    In the first half, OU passed it 6 times on first down, and ran it 5 times.

vCash

We have talent and its the staff. Riley wasn't the answer. I wish someone run heavy was the OC... Or we could've recruited an Offensive line.
    But that's just it - we can't recruit like we once did!!! We're not competing with Alabama and LSU for linemen - we're competing with New Mexico and North Texas!!!
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

We had 1.8 yards per rush attempt, man. And we still ran it a bunch. Commitment to the run game is not the issue. Execution in the run game (and the pass game to set up favorable down/distance situations) is.

vCash

In the first half, OU passed it 6 times on first down, and ran it 5 times.
    Exactly ... More passes on first down

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    But that's just it - we can't recruit like we once did!!! We're not competing with Alabama and LSU for linemen - we're competing with New Mexico and North Texas!!!
    Its just lineman in my opinion remember when we had 4 all Americans starting. I miss it. We have talent just not in the trenches. We have too much of s finesse offensive line kind of like Oregon. That's why they've never won out. SOFT.

vCash

We had 1.8 yards per rush attempt, man. And we still ran it a bunch. Commitment to the run game is not the issue. Execution in the run game (and the pass game to set up favorable down/distance situations) is.
    All said and done we did and you know sacks get added to total rush yards. If we would've just stuck with it those blitzes would've been dialed back.

vCash

Its just lineman in my opinion remember when we had 4 all Americans starting. I miss it. We have talent just not in the trenches. We have too much of s finesse offensive line kind of like Oregon. That's why they've never won out. SOFT.
    All-American caliber linemen are mostly heading to the SEC. They sure as hell aren't coming to Norman to play for a now perennially mediocre Stoops coached team.

I don't know that we're a finesse offensive line so much as it just isn't very good at anything - be it power running, zone blocking, or pass protection.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    All-American caliber linemen are mostly heading to the SEC. They sure as hell aren't coming to Norman to play for a now perennially mediocre Stoops coached team.

I don't know that we're a finesse offensive line so much as it just isn't very good at anything - be it power running, zone blocking, or pass protection.
    How does Arkansas get them is what I want to know? They are bad. It's definitely not because of the SEC brand. You couldn't "pay" me to play there.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

If only our O-Line could finesse them. The replay where the Whorn DT busted up the middle beating our double team with Darlington and Farniok just told the whole story. The interior of the line where we have some experience isn't very good. The outside where we have some young raw talent is mistake prone.