Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Who needs more evidence?

That Bob Stoops can no longer compete for national championships.

For the 7th year in a row, OU has been eliminated from contention before November 1.

Castiglione and Boren should be embarrassed by the team that wore OU jerseys today at the Cotton Bowl

Sooner Starter Since71ASooner4Life's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Who needs more evidence?

National Championships? I'm hearing Jim Mora! We cant even compete with the top tier of our conference - not recruiting, and not on the field

Sooner Starter Since71ASooner4Life's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Since71ASooner4Life View Post
    National Championships? I'm hearing Jim Mora! We cant even compete with the top tier of our conference - not recruiting, and not on the field

I take that back about the recruiting. Baylor and TCU actually have a higher percentage of 2 stars and 3 starts than us. But they do humiliate us on the field with that inferior talent

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Fire Stoops for who? The next Charlie Strong? The problem with firing a head coach that is typically in the top 15 is you may get what you ask for.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 nanimonai's Avatar
    vCash

I wasn't realistically expecting a NC run this year. We obviously weren't on the same level as the top tier teams but I did expect or at least hope that we had some of that fire and attitude of Stoops' early year back and could set up for a run in the next year or two. I don't know why I thought but I did. ...but it's the same old thing yet again.

What reason did this team even have to be complacent and arrogant? They didn't play all that well against Akron for a half, played John Blake style hot garbage for 3 quarters against Tennessee and really won that more from their choke job. Tulsa gave us everything we wanted. West Virginia was a nice game but that's about it. No reason whatsoever to not be fired up for Texas.
    clever signature

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nanimonai View Post
    I wasn't realistically expecting a NC run this year. We obviously weren't on the same level as the top tier teams but I did expect or at least hope that we had some of that fire and attitude of Stoops' early year back and could set up for a run in the next year or two. I don't know why I thought but I did. ...but it's the same old thing yet again.

What reason did this team even have to be complacent and arrogant? They didn't play all that well against Akron for a half, played John Blake style hot garbage for 3 quarters against Tennessee and really won that more from their choke job. Tulsa gave us everything we wanted. West Virginia was a nice game but that's about it. No reason whatsoever to not be fired up for Texas.
    Sometimes kids play bad. The Offensive and Defensive line have been average to below average all year long.

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie91 View Post
    Fire Stoops for who? The next Charlie Strong? The problem with firing a head coach that is typically in the top 15 is you may get what you ask for.
    This type of reasoning is so tiring. Castiglione makes 7 digits a year. It's his job to know the answer to this question. His job to have a short list of the up and coming assistant coaches.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Expectations are too high. Oklahoma is not an elite team anymore, even though the media often views us that way. We get credit for the team's football history and reputation yet the play on the field is not there. We are a solid second-tier team and should be able to compete with other teams on that level. We all need to throttle back our expectations and recognize we have a lot of work to do to get back to elite status. The line-play on both sides of the ball is totally horrendous.
    "If you don't agree with gay marriage, blame the straight people. They are the ones that keep having gay babies."

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Snrinhouston View Post
    This type of reasoning is so tiring. Castiglione makes 7 digits a year. It's his job to know the answer to this question. His job to have a short list of the up and coming assistant coaches.
    Maybe he does and Stoops is better than anyone on that list. If the reasoning is, "give it to the young hungry guy who wins at Northeast Texas A & Q Tech because he scores points", look at the "air-raid" we are running this year with the genius of an offensive coordinator.

At the end of the day young men have to put in the pads and do their job. In OU's case the talent isn't there.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie91 View Post
    Maybe he does and Stoops is better than anyone on that list. If the reasoning is, "give it to the young hungry guy who wins at Northeast Texas A & Q Tech because he scores points", look at the "air-raid" we are running this year with the genius of an offensive coordinator.

At the end of the day young men have to put in the pads and do their job. In OU's case the talent isn't there.

I agree with this. Not sure Stoops and staff are really the problem. Our talent is not great. We have all drank the koolaid on how great these guys are, like Mixon, Westbrook, Byrd, etc., but how good are they? I think Shepard, Perrine and Striker are elite, everyone else second-level.. We have to find a way to get some better lineman. Remember when we used to have the Tommie Harris, Gerald McCoy, Trent Williams types? Now they go to the SEC teams....
    "If you don't agree with gay marriage, blame the straight people. They are the ones that keep having gay babies."

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I need more evidence. 8-10 more years and I'll be convinced.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I don't think it's a matter of motivation. I think we're just not that good. The fourth quarter and overtime of Tennessee game fooled a lot of people. Now we have learned that Tennessee isn't even that good either.

Offensively, we are OK at the skill positions (Perine, Mixon, and Shepard), are terrible on the offensive line, and have a quarterback who makes some gutsy plays but also takes a ton of unnecessary sacks by trying to scramble too much rather than standing tall in the pocket and throwing the ball accurately and on time. This offense is probably better than last year's, but not by much, and has yet to execute consistently for an entire game.

Defensively, we are mediocre in terms of athleticism across the board. We are undersized at several positions, inexperienced at others, and simply not very good at some.

We are just not that good. It's not playcalling or schemes, it's the fact that we don't have the players. It will be a dogfight against KState, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State, and we'll need to play perfect games against both Baylor and TCU to not get blown out.

vCash

If the talent isn't there as some of you suggest, and I don't disagree by the way, whose fault is that?

Is that not also Stoops' fault? I suggest that it is, and in large part stemming from the reality that whatever he once had in competing for national championships and/or being near the top of the college football world, is long gone, and what top recruit would want to play for a program that is visibly on the decline.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okie35's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by graphster View Post
    I don't think it's a matter of motivation. I think we're just not that good. The fourth quarter and overtime of Tennessee game fooled a lot of people. Now we have learned that Tennessee isn't even that good either.

Offensively, we are OK at the skill positions (Perine, Mixon, and Shepard), are terrible on the offensive line, and have a quarterback who makes some gutsy plays but also takes a ton of unnecessary sacks by trying to scramble too much rather than standing tall in the pocket and throwing the ball accurately and on time. This offense is probably better than last year's, but not by much, and has yet to execute consistently for an entire game.

Defensively, we are mediocre in terms of athleticism across the board. We are undersized at several positions, inexperienced at others, and simply not very good at some.

We are just not that good. It's not playcalling or schemes, it's the fact that we don't have the players. It will be a dogfight against KState, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State, and we'll need to play perfect games against both Baylor and TCU to not get blown out.
    We will beat TCU and it's not about him holding the ball it was coverage sacks.. And the oline is bad. We should've stuck with the run from the beginning but we didn't. I don't know if Lincoln is familiar with the rivalry but whoever runs for the most yards usually wins 90% of the time. Where was Andrews too?!
    "If you're going to be at Oklahoma, you need to win, you need to contribute, you need to do all the little things to make this team succeed.'" T-Lew

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I think the ability to pull talent to Norman has faded since Stoops first arrived. Some reasons are external such as the greater emergence of the SEC and the change in the teams that make up the conference. But there are internal reasons too - such as lazy recruiting coaches being allowed to stay around too long. I think the O-line in particular is hurting because of that. Stoops falling in love with duel threat QBs after having a lead-footed LJ for 4 years hurt us there. I'll take a big QB with a quick delivery any day vs. a duel threat (but that's just me).

So yeah, ultimately it's the HC responsible. I don't think we could ever compete with the 'Bama, USC or FSU at the very top of the recruiting list. But we consistently rate higher than anyone in the conference outside of the horns and we are not reflecting that on the field. And I do think we could improve recruiting too.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

TCU beat the team we just lost to 50-7. Not sure how anybody can be confident about that game.

Bottom line as a QB is that you can't take sacks like Baker did. At the very least there should always be a checkdown to throw to, or you should get rid of the ball and take an incompletion. Sacks put you behind the chains and completely destroy the options available to the playcaller. There were several times when he had more time to find a receiver and instead he panicked and tried to run. On the possession where we scored a field goal, he also missed Mixon, who was wide open in the flats on both second and third down, and instead tried to fit the ball in there on slants to Shepard and Westbrook. Again, he makes some gutsy throws and plays, but is not consistent, which is part of the reason (combined with WR drops and poor OL play) that our offense has been up and down all year.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I think the ability to pull talent to Norman has faded since Stoops first arrived. Some reasons are external such as the greater emergence of the SEC and the change in the teams that make up the conference. But there are internal reasons too - such as lazy recruiting coaches being allowed to stay around too long. I think the O-line in particular is hurting because of that. Stoops falling in love with duel threat QBs after having a lead-footed LJ for 4 years hurt us there. I'll take a big QB with a quick delivery any day vs. a duel threat (but that's just me).

So yeah, ultimately it's the HC responsible. I don't think we could ever compete with the 'Bama, USC or FSU at the very top of the recruiting list. But we consistently rate higher than anyone in the conference outside of the horns and we are not reflecting that on the field. And I do think we could improve recruiting too.
    If you were a Texas high school senior last year or this year and you were offered TCU, Baylor or OU you'd have a real decision to make and you couldn't say that 10 years ago.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Losing to your rivals, especially when they suck, is a good way to lose the fanbase.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post

Depends on what we run. In an air raid I'd rather have a dual threat. Why are you guys acting like its on the QB though?! We weren't committed to the run that's why we lost.. Hell the first series Perine got 5 yards and then we started throwing. Why?! Anyway who cares... Apparently the players aren't up for Texas anymore. Ppl say we have no talent but we do. That's idiotic to say. It's really the gameplay sometimes. Where was Andrews? Even for blocking on the edge. Remember when we would line up two tight ends?! I think we thought we could just put the players out there and win lol it's funny
    "If you're going to be at Oklahoma, you need to win, you need to contribute, you need to do all the little things to make this team succeed.'" T-Lew

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    Losing to your rivals, especially when they suck, is a good way to lose the fanbase.
    Well bye fans don't let the door hit you when you leave