Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    vCash

Re: Who needs more evidence?

Some of these posters make me think of the Old boy who wanted to divorce his wife of 15 years cause she got Fat or something, Then when she trimed back down they are all Like "Oh aint she beautifuL"
    one er 2 are just a bunch of 2 face arsehole hypocrits.
    I admit to sayin I was bout ready for Bob to go after that saxet loss. But I contribute that to a Drunkin hangover.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by swardboy View Post
    SPEK. This team had a LOT of growing up to do early on, and they did it at light speed to be in this situation THIS season.

I am so glad I didn't post in this thread before now...lol.
    Let's just hope that the program doesn't always require a once-a-decade player like Mayfield to stay at this level. It's funny how success(or lack of success) snowballs during the course of the season.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    Let's just hope that the program doesn't always require a once-a-decade player like Mayfield to stay at this level. It's funny how success(or lack of success) snowballs during the course of the season.
    But in a lot of ways, that's college football. Nothing breeds success like success, and putting together the right team, the right chemistry, is damned hard. If it wasn't, more people would do it.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    But in a lot of ways, that's college football. Nothing breeds success like success, and putting together the right team, the right chemistry, is damned hard. If it wasn't, more people would do it.
    Exactly. It's almost always that once-in-a-<timeframe> player that puts a good team over the top and it's usually the QB. We've had Heupel, White, Bradford and now Mayfield to get us into BCS finals and now CFP. So we've been able to snag such a player much faster than once-a-decade rate. The other method is to stack 4* and 5* players at every position on the 2 deep ala Saban and I just don't see that happening at OU.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Exactly. It's almost always that once-in-a-<timeframe> player that puts a good team over the top and it's usually the QB. We've had Heupel, White, Bradford and now Mayfield to get us into BCS finals and now CFP. So we've been able to snag such a player much faster than once-a-decade rate. The other method is to stack 4* and 5* players at every position on the 2 deep ala Saban and I just don't see that happening at OU.
    And that only seems to work for Saban, and to a lesser extent, Urban Meyer. Everybody else has intermittent success with it. Maybe there aren't *THAT* many true 4 and 5 star players in actuality.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

And that only seems to work for Saban, and to a lesser extent, Urban Meyer. Everybody else has intermittent success with it. Maybe there aren't *THAT* many true 4 and 5 star players in actuality.
    Mayfield by measurables in all actuality should have been and was a 3 star player by most rating service metrics (too short etc.). This is why Rivals and the like are broad based and will never be able to give you the value of any individual player. Mayfield is as good or better than any 5 star recruit yet if OU would have offered him a scholarship out of HS most people would have found it laughable that we were recruiting a guy that only had offers from the likes of Florida Atlantic. It wasn't just OU.

What I don't really understand is Kliff Kingsbury. He must have had some idea what Mayfield could do. How he let this kid slip away is just baffling.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    Mayfield by measurables in all actuality should have been and was a 3 star player by most rating service metrics (too short etc.). This is why Rivals and the like are broad based and will never be able to give you the value of any individual player. Mayfield is as good or better than any 5 star recruit yet if OU would have offered him a scholarship out of HS most people would have found it laughable that we were recruiting a guy that only had offers from the likes of Florida Atlantic. It wasn't just

OU.

What I don't really understand is Kliff Kingsbury. He must have had some idea what Mayfield could do. How he let this kid slip away is just baffling.
    I imagine Klifford has had to answer that question more than once and probably will have to a few more times.
    You want a toe? I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock!!!!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Skysooner's Avatar
    vCash

http://www.scout.com/college/texas-t...baker-mayfield

Tech would rather have Mahomes lol.
    Metaphors be with you!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Absolutely. I would prefer that we go the Alabam route. I don't see why we can't. Alabama may have a small advantage with their instate recruiting but it is almost like their program is on autopilot at this point. Maybe that changes if the lose Kirby and some of their other assistant coaches.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

vCash

Absolutely. I would prefer that we go the Alabam route. I don't see why we can't. Alabama may have a small advantage with their instate recruiting but it is almost like their program is on autopilot at this point. Maybe that changes if the lose Kirby and some of their other assistant coaches.
    I just don't believe OU and Norman has that kind of pull. I think we are more like the Ducks where we have to win with scheme and execution along with a few star players at critical positions. Maybe we are a bit between the Ducks and Bama as we do consistently pull in higher ranked recruiting classes than UO, but I don't see us getting consistent top 5 classes.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

We need a winning streak. Something to challenge 47 straight. Only takes the next three years....yeah, that's the ticket.
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

vCash

It also has to do a lot with Saban cutting kids out of the program if they don't deliver mighty quick and freeing up a scholarship for someone else, not to mention grayshirting at least in years' past.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Skysooner's Avatar
    vCash

Just read that the Alabama DC is being considered for the Georgia job. That would be a help since we all know that trying to do 2 jobs like that makes it difficult to do 1 job well. Georgia would take priority for him.
    Metaphors be with you!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Skysooner View Post

They think Mahomes is the second coming and is gonna bring them a natty next year
    “Once that first bullet goes past your head, politics and all that s*** just goes out the window.”

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Skysooner View Post

Honestly, I can't completely blame them. I'd feel pretty good going into next year with Mahomes at QB.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Or, that it doesn't require playing the three top teams in the conference without the starting QBs and many defensive players. This season, luck was equal to the task.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    Or, that it doesn't require playing the three top teams in the conference without the starting QBs and many defensive players. This season, luck was equal to the task.
    That's almost always the case for the teams on top. Bama required a bizarre 4th and 25 conversion by Arkie in order to make it to their CCG. MSU needed the ultimate miracle punt return to be included. Clemson needed the least amount of luck, but they were outgained 3-2 by ND and needed to defend a 2 pt conversion at the end to avoid OT.

But it requires more than luck - all these teams are good and have shown resilience all season. Our team could have easily had a pretty 11-1 record last year with a bit more luck and that 1 beat down from BU proved they didn't deserve a playoff spot. Much different than this year.

vCash

It'll be really interesting to watch recruits rethink their commitments after OU
    gets #8. There have been several commitments of ESPN 300 players to schools
    other than OU where OU has offered, just in the last few days.....

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

It also has to do a lot with Saban cutting kids out of the program if they don't deliver mighty quick and freeing up a scholarship for someone else, not to mention grayshirting at least in years' past.
    Let's not go there.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    That's the breaks of the game. We won a National Championship with a backup QB.