Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

The changing of the 2nd Amendment

If you're an ideologue don't click. http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...endment-106856

If you're open minded and can read more than 140 characters and don't need a cartoon to summarize it for you, then you might appreciate the history of the movement of the 2nd Amendment that some of you embrace as if it were written in red in the King James version of the Bible.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 dwarthog's Avatar
    vCash

Re: The changing of the 2nd Amendment

Ah it's the NRA's fault on how the second admendment is intrepreted by the Supreme court.

I never knew that.

The problem is that some folks, I'm guessing your one of those since you insist on posting this crap, think the constitution is a document which in someway limits peoples freedoms and therefore expect to somehow divine the necessary meaning to support their prejudices on how they want others to conform to their thinking.

The constitution was to specifically limit the federal government and to keep it away from infringing on peoples freedoms.

As your linked article states, the Bill of Rights is there to specifically guarantee personal freedoms due to Anti-Federalists concerns.

It would seem the Anti-Federalists were somewhat prescient in their concerns.

vCash

WE have Well regulated Militias today. The Government Calls em extremist.
    The 2nd amendment was never intended for the Governments Protection but for the Protection of the Individual and Their Freedoms.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dwarthog View Post
    Ah it's the NRA's fault on how the second admendment is intrepreted by the Supreme court.

I never knew that.

The problem is that some folks, I'm guessing your one of those since you insist on posting this crap, think the constitution is a document which in someway limits peoples freedoms and therefore expect to somehow divine the necessary meaning to support their prejudices on how they want others to conform to their thinking.

The constitution was to specifically limit the federal government and to keep it away from infringing on peoples freedoms.

As your linked article states, the Bill of Rights is there to specifically guarantee personal freedoms due to Anti-Federalists concerns.

It would seem the Anti-Federalists were somewhat prescient in their concerns.
    So, I'll put you in the "didn't read it" camp.

Well regulated militias was referencing the state militias...not the Timothy McVeigh's of the world.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    WE have Well regulated Militias today. The Government Calls em extremist.
    The 2nd amendment was never intended for the Governments Protection but for the Protection of the Individual and Their Freedoms.
    I think the intention was to allow the states' to form their militias so as to protect their STATE from the over reach of the central government. That's why it says "a well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state..."

Not this: http://memecrunch.com/meme/SPDN/a-we...ulated-militia

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 dwarthog's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity Now View Post
    So, I'll put you in the "didn't read it" camp.

Well regulated militias was referencing the state militias...not the Timothy McVeigh's of the world.
    You would be incorrect as I did in fact read the article.

I'll place you into the "confused" bucket with regards to the intent of the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dwarthog View Post
    You would be incorrect as I did in fact read the article.

I'll place you into the "confused"
    bucket
    with regards to the intent of the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights.
    The only Bucket he belongs in is the One we slop the Hogs with.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

vCash

I think the intention was to allow the states' to form their militias so as to protect their STATE from the over reach of the central government. That's why it says "a well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state..."

Well Thats a relief. Im glad you know more about what the founding Fathers meant than the Current Supreme court!

vCash

Well Thats a relief. Im glad you know more about what the founding Fathers meant than the Current Supreme court!
    That's why I said "I think". It's an opinion. Some of us have opinions and can agree to disagree. Some of us can't disagree cordially.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

hate to tell ya this but I'm sure a large majority of folks see the "state militia" same as the feds...a group I'd rather not give total control to.

I would add, the militia in that time was made up of ordinary citizens...not the "state national guard"....

I THINK it was their thought that the militia (made up of ordinary citizens) would be there against ANY government oversight. Doubt they imagined the "state" government would ever try to control it's citizens.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

That's why I said "I think". It's an opinion. Some of us have opinions and can agree to disagree. Some of us can't disagree cordially.
    Oh I can agree to disagree without being Disagreeable! Just not with your ignorant asss

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    hate to tell ya this but I'm sure a large majority of folks see the "state militia" same as the feds...a group I'd rather not give total control to.

I would add, the militia in that time was made up of ordinary citizens...not the "state national guard"....

I THINK it was their thought that the militia (made up of ordinary citizens) would be there against ANY government oversight. Doubt they imagined the "state" government would ever try to control it's citizens.
    I don't necessarily disagree with that. It was interesting that "bear arms" was a phrase used to mean to serve in the militia, with exceptions given for religious feelings [ but no one religiously scrupulous of bearing arms, shall be compelled to render military service in person. ] It was not a phrase referencing the owning/carrying of a weapon.

vCash

Oh I can agree to disagree without being Disagreeable! Just not with your ignorant asss
    Because you know so much more than me?

vCash

Because you know so much more than me?
    Nope, I just think your silly as hell!

vCash

I don't necessarily disagree with that. It was interesting that "bear arms" was a phrase used to mean to serve in the militia, with exceptions given for religious feelings [ but no one religiously scrupulous of bearing arms, shall be compelled to render military service in person. ] It was not a phrase referencing the owning/carrying of a weapon.
    So yer parsing the meaning of the words. What does "Shall NOT be infringed" mean?

vCash

So yer parsing the meaning of the words. What does "Shall NOT be infringed" mean?
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

My interpretation means that, as long as I'm not a danger to the rest of us, I can arm myself. And, the State of Oklahoma will have a WELL REGULATED state militia that I can be a part of, if I so choose and the central government can't stop me from doing that.

vCash

The militia as the founders understood and meant it was all male citizens. Anyone willing to do a modicum of research can learn this.

The Supreme Court has also ruled the 2nd Amendment is in fact an individual right. Anyone "thinking" it means something else is being stupid just for the sake of being stupid.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    The militia as the founders understood and meant it was all male citizens. Anyone willing to do a modicum of research can learn this.

The Supreme Court has also ruled the 2nd Amendment is in fact an individual right. Anyone "thinking" it means something else is being stupid just for the sake of being stupid.
    That's not what the article says.

However, that's the most non 5th grade thing I've ever seen you write. Kudos! You're not a complete idiot. Just an immature arsehole.

vCash

However, that's the most non 5th grade thing I've ever seen you write. Kudos! You're not a complete idiot. Just an immature arsehole.
    If a Pole says it or a Lib article it must be true.

vCash

You mad because someone took your lunch money again today? Maybe you can out them?!
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.