SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

The stat that give them hope

Whorns are 5-2 vs the Sooners when . . .

sa*et is unranked and . . .

Oklahoma is ranked.

OU is favored by 17 over UT

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: The stat that give them hope

They're pinning their hopes on one game then (2 years ago) because the other 4 came when Gardere beat Gibbs 4 straight from '89 to '92.
    Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

The Gibbs years were agonizing. We were high mediocre, but never better than that, and it kept Gibbs around so long.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

Tramel had an enlightening article about the last 2 years of our Cotton Bowl mediocrity even though we luckily gained a split. Maybe our new OC and 1st year QB will be up to the task, although I believe I read that the whorns pounded BM the last time they faced him when he was out at Tech. Hopefully we'll bring our A game in all phases on Saturday, jump on them early, and our staff will will be able to motivate our players better than their previous pitiful efforts the last couple of years.

The stats speak for themselves and the combined 2 year stats are just horrible, First Downs, Total Yards, Rushing Yards, and they almost doubled us up in passing yards with their mediocre QBs which again our D made look All-American. If you throw out the TOs last week, we weren't much better last Saturday than the last 2 years against the whorns except that the W Va QB was rattled and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

http://newsok.com/sooners-have-playe...05#commentLink

The Sooners stunk last year against Texas.

Don’t remember? Let’s review.

First downs: Texas 24, OU 11.

Total yards: Texas 482, OU 232.

Rushing yards: Texas 148, OU 103.

Passing: Tyrone Swoopes 27 of 44 for 334 yards; Trevor Knight 12 of 20 for 129 yards.

But the Sooners made two huge plays that put them in early control. Alex Ross returned a kickoff 91 yards for a touchdown in the first quarter, wiping out UT’s 3-0 lead. Then Zack Sanchez returned an interception — the game’s only turnover — 43 yards for a touchdown, giving OU a 17-3 second-quarter lead.

The Sooners sleep-walked through the whole danged game
    And the Sooners were even worse the year before, when they entered the game as heavy favorites but were dominated by the Longhorns, trailed 23-10 at halftime and 36-13 after three quarters.

First downs: Texas 24, OU 13.

Total yards: Texas 445, OU 263.

Rushing yards: Texas 255, OU 130.

Passing: Blake Bell 12-26-2, 133 yards; Case McCoy 13-22-1, 190 yards.
    Combine the stats:

First downs: Texas 48, OU 24.

Total yards: Texas 927, OU 495.

Rushing yards: Texas 403, OU 233.

Passing: Texas 40 of 66, two interceptions, 524 yards; OU 24 of 46, two interceptions, 262 yards.

Offensive plays: Texas 166, OU 109.

The Longhorns have dominated two straight State Fairs. That’s with two different head coaches and two different quarterbacks. Yet to the Sooners’ credit, Texas came away with only one victory.
    Last edited by aurorasooner; 10/7/2015 at 08:34 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by aurorasooner View Post
    ...If you throw out the TOs last week, we weren't much better last Saturday than the last 2 years against the whorns except that the W Va QB was rattled and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.
    A bit of the ol "Dam lies and statistics" perhaps. Last week was a solid win and did not even resemble the last 2 horn games from a fan perspective. The take aways were earned by either pressure or by the score with time running out forcing their hand. Their defensive scheme made it difficult to drive either by running or a possession oriented passing game. But it left them open to the big play and that's what Riley had in the game plan. I was surprised at first by how many times we were going deep until I realized that was the plan all along. Very few short passes and I don't recall any bubble screens. That plan resulted in 3 of the 4 TDs being the home run type that would have gone the distance from anywhere on the field. The 4th TD to Andrews was medium range. The WVU plan on D was to take away the run, don't let Mayfield escape the pocket and challenge the short pass. That left open the medium to long pass and that's what we took. It's also why Mixon's run went the distance once he broke the LOS. That's a very similar plan to what the horns did in '13 and we couldn't beat it with Bell at QB and JH calling the plays. If it wasn't for the Westbrook fumble in the 3rd, we would have been in total control of the game from the 2nd qtr on. I'll take a win like that any day and screw the stats. And 21 yards/completion ain't a bad stat either.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

While I'll also take a win vs stats, if we continue to live on the edge, not getting the running game going to any extent by relying on the brute force push on this average OL, not moving the chains, and continue to rely on BM's improvising/scrambling then we're going to be SOL if he gets dinged or there's going to be a game or 2 down the line when he's a little off, one or 2 balls get tipped at the LOS for picks at critical times, or a DC has a helluva game plan to confuse him. (I think Briles is probably a little scared of what this offense may become down the line hence the supposed spying and I personally don't buy his explanation(s) at all. With our previous OC/offense, I don't believe he would've given it an extra thought and his son-in-law/daughter wouldn't have sniffed the turf on Owen field outside of making perhaps a normal fan appearance high in the stands. But I've got to hand it to him, damned good excuse/effort though with the wedding and all. He probably put it in play last year when the wedding was announced and before all that Ukwuachu heat and simply forget to nix it.)

While I'll differ with you on your opinion that the W.Va game didn't even resemble the last 2 whorn games. I was referring to the stats minus the TOs.-- 1st Downs W Va 27 OU 16, 3rd down efficiency OU only 2-11 (0-1 on 4th), Rushing yards W Va 54-196 OU 33-107 (BM sacks hurt that but Mixons run helped however we still ended up only ~ 3yrds carry), time of possession W Va 33:11 to our 26:49 which doesn't mean much if you're going over the top for 6 (which was also a difference), and I won't even go into the total number of offensive plays. But anyway the stats except for the TOs and the ability to complete the long ball, mimic the last 2 Whorn games imo. Thank goodness this game was in Norman and not at night in W Va.

As far as Westbrook's TO and us having the game in total control, I never felt that way until Strikers forced QB fumble (very similar to the 'Bama Sugar Bowl game [and I hope this week while a "top 10 plays of the week TO for 6" would be gravy, I just hope Striker has the discipline to make several normal sacks on Heard/Swoopes while containing the scramble]), because of our past history with a lead (prevent the win D), our DBs may go SFB with an inexplicable bust at any moment (past history), we just flat weren't running the ball with any consistency, weren't having any success moving the chains, BM was getting some heat (sacks), and it seemed to me we were just out of sync. BM does seem to have a 6th sense to ""feel the rush, move away from it, and not give up a cheap TO for 6 unlike the shaky W Va QB -- really glad that they played against all those E Popcorn St Teams/DBs in their OOC. Seems like Mahommes (sp-?) out at Tech has a similar ability to move away from the rush. Maybe it's a Tech thing, all those Tech disciples of Leach teach their QBs or BM/PM may just have very good peripheral vision while being able to concentrate down field.

As long as we keep winning it doesn't make any difference, but what I'm tired of hearing is that all of our opponents seem to have all-world Big-Boy defensive fronts--"best we will face this year", they're stacking the box, and give them time our OL will get it together. Now if we miraculously happen to get some decent normal push out of this avg OL while our lead blocking back doesn't do the old "HS lookout Block whiff" with the Alfred E. Newman WTF pose afterward, and Perine or JM can get a some consistent lanes on a few drives to the 2nd level, then I think we'll be dangerous as hell where a very good D/DC has to respect the fake hand-off on every play and the LBs can't run immediately downhill to our telegraphed point of attack ---the short easy posts/crossing routes or TE (Andrews) over the middle. btw, that was a pretty iffy pass he caught for 6 imo (High and inside (behind) even though the outside (middle) of the field was wide open, but it just shows his athletic ability--darn hard ball to catch, imo).

vCash

The stats back what I was claiming - that the game was based on big plays and not ball control. We out gained them in total yards which is much different than the horn games. We had a 24-7 lead which is significant. One expects the team that is behind to make adjustments at halftime which they did - I was expecting them to make some sort of a run in the 3rd. There is no way they get as close as 3 points if Westbrook doesn't cough it up. But even then, we took back control and cruised to a 3TD win. No it's not 52-10, but i certainly wasn't expecting a rout. I harp on the Westbrook fumble because it wasn't forced by their D - a middle school mistake of carrying the ball in the wrong arm in a simple 1-1 tackle situation. Otherwise, then never cut the lead to single digits. And in the 4th, our D owned their asses and they had little chance from there on.

As far as the O-line and the running game; well, it is what it is. You can't "will it to be good" just because you're not happy with it. I personally doubt the talent level which means it is not fixable, but many others say it is just inexperience. I do expect them to get better because they certainly are inexperienced, but I just don't think the ceiling is real high. Time will tell. So I like this team because I think they are gritty and doing well with what they have, but I don't think for a second it is championship caliber. So i guess our expectations are just different. I do think we are actually building to something for a change and if so, we'll be back at the top next season if the youngster in the last couple recruiting classes develop.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Good analysis. Andrews is a great threat but his blocking...uh...needs work. We've been spoiled by the Brody Eldridges and Jermaine Greshams. Admittedly the skills are so different and really good tight ends who can block AND catch are pretty rare. But he'll improve, I have no doubt about it.

What I see in the offensive line in the run game is they haven't learned to work as a unit yet. That can be learned, and if anybody can teach it, Bedenbaugh can. It may be that we just haven't found the right group to put on the field every time isn't there yet, but even then you've got to have backups who play as well or maybe slightly less well to have any real consistency.

Pass protection is a bit farther along though we've still got work to do there too. Especially the running backs, Mixon in particular. Not picking up blitzes as well as we need to.

The good news is we're a third of the way through the season, we're 4-0, we've beaten some pretty good teams even in adverse circumstances and we've got some games coming up to further develop. Future looks promising.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    A bit of the ol "Dam lies and statistics" perhaps. Last week was a solid win and did not even resemble the last 2 horn games from a fan perspective. The take aways were earned by either pressure or by the score with time running out forcing their hand. Their defensive scheme made it difficult to drive either by running or a possession oriented passing game. But it left them open to the big play and that's what Riley had in the game plan. I was surprised at first by how many times we were going deep until I realized that was the plan all along. Very few short passes and I don't recall any bubble screens. That plan resulted in 3 of the 4 TDs being the home run type that would have gone the distance from anywhere on the field. The 4th TD to Andrews was medium range. The WVU plan on D was to take away the run, don't let Mayfield escape the pocket and challenge the short pass. That left open the medium to long pass and that's what we took. It's also why Mixon's run went the distance once he broke the LOS. That's a very similar plan to what the horns did in '13 and we couldn't beat it with Bell at QB and JH calling the plays. If it wasn't for the Westbrook fumble in the 3rd, we would have been in total control of the game from the 2nd qtr on. I'll take a win like that any day and screw the stats. And 21 yards/completion ain't a bad stat either.
    Nice post. OU won every phase of the game against a WVU team that is far superior to the Texas teams of the last 3 years. Texas may win. Stanger things have happened in this rivalry but OU has the far superior team.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.