Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Judge Smails's Avatar
    vCash

Massey Composite Poll Has OU Ranked #1

Holy Crap

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...ek-6-ap-top-25

http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

This one seems like it takes a lot into account, including every play of every game. It has OU at #2 right behind Alabama.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa

The S&P+ Ratings are a college football ratings system derived from the play-by-play and drive data of all 800+ of a season's FBS college football games (and 140,000+ plays).

The components for S&P+ reflect opponent-adjusted components of four of what Bill Connelly has deemed the Five Factors of college football: efficiency, explosiveness, field position, and finishing drives. (A fifth factor, turnovers, is informed marginally by sack rates, the only quality-based statistic that has a consistent relationship with turnover margins.)

Here are the components of the ratings shared below:
    •Second-Order Wins (2ndO Wins): Defined here and discussed in further detail here and here, second-order wins compare the advanced statistical components of a given game, and the single-game win expectancy they create, to the actual results of the game. This projected win total is a cousin of the Pythagorean record, a concept common in many sports. They are presented below, with the difference between a team's wins and second-order wins in parentheses.
    •S&P+ rating: Using the five-factors concept above, the S&P+ ratings take into account efficiency (Success Rates), explosiveness (IsoPPP), and factors related to field position and finishing drives. It is now presented in two forms: the first is a percentile, and the second is an adjusted scoring margin specific for this specific season's scoring curve.
    •Off. S&P+ rating: A team's offense-specific S&P+ rating, presented in the form of an adjusted scoring average.
    •Def. S&P+ rating: A team's defense-specific S&P+ rating, presented in the form of an adjusted scoring average (and since this is defense, the lower the average, the better).
    •Strength of Schedule rating (SOS): A simple schedule measure based on average S&P+ ratings and normal distributions.
    •Weighted S&P+ rating: This is an attempt to measure how a team was playing at the end of a given season, with extra weight given to the most recent games. It is limited in power by small sample sizes, but it is useful in determining which teams finished strong and which derived most of their good (or bad) final ratings from early-season play.
    Last edited by Judge Smails; 10/5/2015 at 12:00 AM.

vCash

Re: Massey Composite Poll Has OU Ranked #1

It must be in bizzaro world!
    Scots, Wha Hae.
    Scots, wha hae wi' Wallace bled,
    Scots, wham Bruce has aften led,
    Welcome to your gory bed
    Or to victorie!
    --- Robert Burns

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Judge Smails's Avatar
    vCash

The computers are loving us big time.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Computers don't watch the O-line.

Emma's Daddy! SoonerStormchaser's Avatar
    vCash

Computers missed the first three quarters of the Tennessee game.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 BermudaSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Computers don't watch the O-line.
    Now that is funny
    "You get no moral credit for forcing other people to do what you think is right."---Penn Jillette

"It's what I do, I drink and I know things."---Tyrion Lannister

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BermudaSooner View Post
    Now that is funny
    I actually like the computer power rankings as they don't have the brand bias factor. But they are strictly based on stats that are very fuzzy until late in the season. They need a bunch of common opponent games for specifics, like Oline , to start being reflected in the stats.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 oupride's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I actually like the computer power rankings as they don't have the brand bias factor. But they are strictly based on stats that are very fuzzy until late in the season. They need a bunch of common opponent games for specifics, like Oline , to start being reflected in the stats.
    Agree. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the current rankings are based on someone's perception. I like to use the BCS example a couple of years ago that rematched Alabama and LSU for the National Title. The argument was "Well, LSU had only one loss and it was to the No. 1 ranked team." Seriously? How does anyone know that! Using that logic, say Oklahoma loses only one game and that be to a No. 1 ranked Baylor. You think Oklahoma will be allowed into the 4 team playoff? Not in a million-ga-zillion years!!! The SEC is just too tough and the Big 10 can no longer be ignored. Just look at what Ohio State did last year. So, they are given the No. 1 spot this year? Baloney. That was last year. H-I-S-T-O-R-Y. It's better with the 4 team playoff, but it all starts with perception. Just ask Auburn, Oregon and Ole Miss! Rather than open up another discussion about the rankings, just win baby! Boomer Sooner! Beat the hell outta Texas!
    Last edited by oupride; 10/6/2015 at 06:26 PM. Reason: rolls eyes

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Computers can parse the stats but are no better and probably inferior to the eye test.

vCash

Ya kitty - yak, computer on crack!