SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

Pulling defeat from the jaws of . . . OT

Two in a row for sa*et, a missed PAT last week, a muffed punt this week, whorn fans stunned again and the lack of a home field advantage continues in Austin.

At 1-3, it is officially the worst start to a season since before Royal was hired.

Patterson hired Charlie and now he is gone. How much more of Strong will the Sons of Bevo put up with before declaring this experiment a failure? Sure, he is supposed to have at least three years to turn it around and he is doing that, but so far it has been in the wrong direction.

Meanwhile, Mack Brown is wearing a secret smile and chuckling to himself, "I told you so!"

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Pulling defeat from the jaws of . . . OT

Yeah, the problem is, they'll come out and play the game of their lives against us. Every time whorn starts out down, we seem to decide it's in the bag, and get caught off guard when they are extra pumped to take us on.

vCash

Problem is, they are explosive and talented, just don't know how to not lose yet.

Very dangerous. They going to surprise someone. Let's hope it's TCU or Baylor.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

The only folks that think a win against the horns is in the bag are on internet message boards. The '13 game was a match-up problem, not a preparation problem and the TCU game the week before was already an indication of that. The horns played a defense that dared us to beat them either deep or on intermediate routes and Blake Bell couldn't do it. I don't think Knight could have done it either. LJ would have ripped them to shreds and forced them out of that tight, press coverage by the 2nd quarter.

The horns don't look like they can consistently drive this year, but Heard is a big play waiting to happen. Their defense isn't very good, but they really attack the line of scrimmage and could be dangerous if our O-line doesn't put it together.

vCash

They could be 3-1 very very easily.

I don't think any team will take them for granted.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Texas has ALWAYS had talent. It has been the poor coaching that has held them back....Let's hope it stays that way. Oh, also, the Texas ego gets in the way. Thinking that other teams will just fold......

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

Why every other Big 12 fan thinks it's hilarious Texas fans are mad about the refs

By Rodger Sherman @rodger_sherman on Sep 28, 2015

Texas fans are upset about the officiating in Oklahoma State's 30-27 win Saturday. They have some pretty good reasons to be upset about the officiating in Oklahoma State's 30-27 win on Saturday.

One when Longhorns DT Poona Ford was called for holding.

This is a horrible call for a few reasons. It's strange enough that defensive holding would ever be called in this situation. Ford is a defensive tackle, and this is a run play. The primary use of the defensive holding call is on defensive backs preventing wide receivers from running passing routes.

Even so, if we were to imagine a hypothetical scenario in which a DT commits defensive holding ... this isn't it. Ford tugs on the jersey of OSU's Michael Wilson, but this isn't holding for two reasons: Wilson is "obviously trying to block," as the NCAA rulebook requires, and Ford's hands are inside the opponents' shoulders.

And worst of all, Ford gets held. Oklahoma State's Victor Salako has his arm all the way around Ford's shoulder and neck, swinging him out of the direction he was trying to go. And yet Ford gets flagged.

And when Charlie Strong protested the call, he got flagged. Like with Ford, there is hypothetically a scenario in which a coach should get called for protesting a call ... and this is not it.

Strong is just doing some typical coach-yelling. There is contact between his body and the official's body, which appears to be why the official throws the flag, but the official is the one who bumped into Strong, not the other way around. It almost looks like the official does so intentionally to come up with an excuse for throwing the flag.

These, plus lesser calls against Texas, have convinced some Texas fans that this was a conspiracy, a rigged game or something along those lines.

Texas fans should know better.

After all, Texas fans should know better than anybody that sometimes, referees make bad calls that swing the tide of victory from one team to another. It happens to the Longhorns all the time, except they're the team that normally ends up winning.
    •There was the time in 2013 when Iowa State appeared to strip the ball from Johnathan Gray and then run the ball back for what should've been a touchdown, only to have refs say Gray was down and that there was no indisputable video evidence to overturn the call. That's despite a pretty clean view of Iowa State removing the ball from Gray's hands while he was still standing. Texas scored two plays later, Texas won 31-30, and Iowa State coach Paul Rhoads famously ripped into the refs.
    •There was the time in 2012 when Oklahoma State appeared to pop the ball out from Joe Bergeron on a game-winning TD, but since refs called it a TD on the field, it was a TD. The Big 12 reportedly called Oklahoma State after the game to apologize for the blown call (that report was disputed).
    •There was the time in 2011 when Texas A&M's Trent Hunter got called for a personal foul on a last-minute play that didn't seem to warrant a personal foul, with Hunter appearing to pull up to avoid contact in the instants after an incomplete pass. That pushed Texas 15 yards closer to the end zone, Texas hit a game-winning FG, and Texas exited its A&M rivalry with a win. After the game, Hunter tweeted an image said to show the official who made the call dressed in Texas gear.
    •There was the time in 2009 when Texas got an extra second added to the Big 12 Championship, then kickeda game-winning field goal against Nebraska. That's normally not a task under the officials' purview, but they went back to fix what they deemed an "egregious" error. (To be fair, that pass totally hit the ground with a second left.)
    •There was the time Mike Leach got so upset about a holding call that negated a touchdown that he called the Big 12 head of officials during the game, then went on a rant about the sanctity of having Austin-area officials call games involving Texas.
    •There was the time Mark Mangino got so upset about a pass interference call that he openly implied refs were rigging the game to clear Texas' path to the BCS.
    •There was the time a ref apparently fist-pumped while signaling a Texas touchdown against Colorado.

Am I bringing all these plays up to imply that Texas couldn't possibly have gotten jobbed Saturday? No.

I'm bringing up all these other plays, because, well, refs make mistakes.

Referees are imperfect humans. Fans of every conference are absolutely convinced that the refs who call their games are the worst. They even complain about specific ones the most. Pac-12 refs can't stand Glasses Ref, SEC fans hate Penn Wagers and ACC fans long complained about Ron Cherry.

The officiating crew on Saturday was led by Alan Eck, who was also in charge of last year's Baylor-West Virginia debacle, in which an exasperated Mike Pereira held up the rulebook on camera during the broadcast. In that game, Baylor had 215 yards' worth of penalties, 126.6 more than its season average and 87 more than Texas had on Saturday.

Eck once spent more than 10 minutes figuring out a UTEP-Kansas State blocked punt.

''Apparently there's a rule that I'm totally unaware of, and trust me, that's the first thing I'm going to do when I walk out of here. I'm going to find that rule,'' K-State's Bill Snyder said at the time. ''They did the best they could, it just took them an hour and a half to do it.''

Much of the time, those complaints from Big 12 fans have circled around the failures of Big 12 refs that happen to help the Big 12's biggest school and its most popular team.

Most of the time, referees call football pretty well. A lot of the time, they call it poorly, but poorly both ways. Sometimes, they call it so badly that it helps one team win and another lose. But this happens everywhere.

However, I certainly don't buy it when it's fans of the school that has everything go right all the time going nuts about the one time things go wrong. At least have your conspiracy theories make sense.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Give 'em a break, they've had no practice is bitching about calls since none have ever gone against them.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

These are the types of teams that will do game of life mode against a big opponent to make up for a disastrous rest-of-the-season.

So in other words, OU-Texas is going to be much more competitive than our win-loss records indicate.

Remember back when OSU would treat OU as their bowl game because they weren't going to a real one? Yeah, that's Texas this year

vCash

I was pretty neutral about who I wanted to win. But I was WTF several times during the game. It is not right for the refs to influence a game as much as the calls in this game did. I kept transferring that angst to one of our games. What if that was us getting jobbed like that?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

I feel bad for Texas. They're a young team for the 6th straight year. Amazing how all their juniors and seniors somehow fade into the background every season.

Emma's Daddy! SoonerStormchaser's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Widescreen View Post
    I feel bad for Texas.
    I don't...never have...never will.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Widescreen View Post
    I feel bad for Texas. They're a young team for the 6th straight year. Amazing how all their juniors and seniors somehow fade into the background every season.
    Coaching and school admin turnovers will do that, which means whorn might have another five-year cycle to combat before being "back."

Think about it:
    - Who hired the current coach? (the fired athletic director, $teve Patter$on)
    - Is the current coach doing well? (NO. 1-2 is BAD)
    - Who will the next admin be? (Mack Brown potentially as interim... you know, the guy who got replaced by the current guy)
    - Does the current fanbase support the current coach? (let me answer that with a photo)

15 minutes prior to kickoff and you're hosting the #24 team in the country.

Cliff Note's version: Charlie Strong is screwed

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post

15 minutes prior to kickoff and you're hosting the #24 team in the country.
    That there is one lovely picture!
    Ukraine: Not Our Fight.

More epicycles!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

Some interesting quotes about the Whorn/Stool State game came out yesterday.
    I don't feel sorry for them one bit though as they'll probably put it all together, get all the critical calls, and look like a top 10 team with an All-American QB against us week after next as they did against us 2 years ago with Derp. Our game at the Cotton Bowl is shaping up like it's their bowl game.
    As for the quote about Refs protecting their own, it seems like one of the whorns called out another publicly.

I don't know anything about this zebra Alan Eck/crew and if they've somehow "got it in for the whorns" but, if correct, these penalty stats do look a little out of whack.

In 10 Big 12 games, referee Alan Eck's officiating crew flagged Texas an avg of 13.5 times/106.5 yards. Other crews avg. = 5.75 flags/50 yds
    Asked why Charlie Strong was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct, Anderson said, "Some things were said that rose to that level."
    In the end, it was a case of an official defending one of his own – not that anyone should have expected differently. Zebras are like offensive linemen. They never call out their peers publicly.
    “I think what happened is a lack of preparation by the backup,” Flowers told the Austin American-Statesman. “I feel as though he didn’t foresee (an injury). I don’t think he took that into consideration when he was preparing. He just saw this week as another week that he wasn’t gonna play. If he would have taken more time in practice and film review, took it more seriously, then it would have been different.

“You can’t use ‘I had no reps’ as an excuse.”

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jacie View Post
    Why every other Big 12 fan thinks it's hilarious Texas fans are mad about the refs

By Rodger Sherman @rodger_sherman on Sep 28, 2015

Texas fans are upset about the officiating in Oklahoma State's 30-27 win Saturday. They have some pretty good reasons to be upset about the officiating in Oklahoma State's 30-27 win on Saturday.

One when Longhorns DT Poona Ford was called for holding.

This is a horrible call for a few reasons. It's strange enough that defensive holding would ever be called in this situation. Ford is a defensive tackle, and this is a run play. The primary use of the defensive holding call is on defensive backs preventing wide receivers from running passing routes.

Even so, if we were to imagine a hypothetical scenario in which a DT commits defensive holding ... this isn't it. Ford tugs on the jersey of OSU's Michael Wilson, but this isn't holding for two reasons: Wilson is "obviously trying to block," as the NCAA rulebook requires, and Ford's hands are inside the opponents' shoulders.

And worst of all, Ford gets held. Oklahoma State's Victor Salako has his arm all the way around Ford's shoulder and neck, swinging him out of the direction he was trying to go. And yet Ford gets flagged.

And when Charlie Strong protested the call, he got flagged. Like with Ford, there is hypothetically a scenario in which a coach should get called for protesting a call ... and this is not it.

Strong is just doing some typical coach-yelling. There is contact between his body and the official's body, which appears to be why the official throws the flag, but the official is the one who bumped into Strong, not the other way around. It almost looks like the official does so intentionally to come up with an excuse for throwing the flag.

These, plus lesser calls against Texas, have convinced some Texas fans that this was a conspiracy, a rigged game or something along those lines.

Texas fans should know better.

After all, Texas fans should know better than anybody that sometimes, referees make bad calls that swing the tide of victory from one team to another. It happens to the Longhorns all the time, except they're the team that normally ends up winning.
    •There was the time in 2013 when Iowa State appeared to strip the ball from Johnathan Gray and then run the ball back for what should've been a touchdown, only to have refs say Gray was down and that there was no indisputable video evidence to overturn the call. That's despite a pretty clean view of Iowa State removing the ball from Gray's hands while he was still standing. Texas scored two plays later, Texas won 31-30, and Iowa State coach Paul Rhoads famously ripped into the refs.
    •There was the time in 2012 when Oklahoma State appeared to pop the ball out from Joe Bergeron on a game-winning TD, but since refs called it a TD on the field, it was a TD. The Big 12 reportedly called Oklahoma State after the game to apologize for the blown call (that report was disputed).
    •There was the time in 2011 when Texas A&M's Trent Hunter got called for a personal foul on a last-minute play that didn't seem to warrant a personal foul, with Hunter appearing to pull up to avoid contact in the instants after an incomplete pass. That pushed Texas 15 yards closer to the end zone, Texas hit a game-winning FG, and Texas exited its A&M rivalry with a win. After the game, Hunter tweeted an image said to show the official who made the call dressed in Texas gear.
    •There was the time in 2009 when Texas got an extra second added to the Big 12 Championship, then kickeda game-winning field goal against Nebraska. That's normally not a task under the officials' purview, but they went back to fix what they deemed an "egregious" error. (To be fair, that pass totally hit the ground with a second left.)
    •There was the time Mike Leach got so upset about a holding call that negated a touchdown that he called the Big 12 head of officials during the game, then went on a rant about the sanctity of having Austin-area officials call games involving Texas.
    •There was the time Mark Mangino got so upset about a pass interference call that he openly implied refs were rigging the game to clear Texas' path to the BCS.
    •There was the time a ref apparently fist-pumped while signaling a Texas touchdown against Colorado.

Am I bringing all these plays up to imply that Texas couldn't possibly have gotten jobbed Saturday? No.

I'm bringing up all these other plays, because, well, refs make mistakes.

Referees are imperfect humans. Fans of every conference are absolutely convinced that the refs who call their games are the worst. They even complain about specific ones the most. Pac-12 refs can't stand Glasses Ref, SEC fans hate Penn Wagers and ACC fans long complained about Ron Cherry.

The officiating crew on Saturday was led by Alan Eck, who was also in charge of last year's Baylor-West Virginia debacle, in which an exasperated Mike Pereira held up the rulebook on camera during the broadcast. In that game, Baylor had 215 yards' worth of penalties, 126.6 more than its season average and 87 more than Texas had on Saturday.

Eck once spent more than 10 minutes figuring out a UTEP-Kansas State blocked punt.

''Apparently there's a rule that I'm totally unaware of, and trust me, that's the first thing I'm going to do when I walk out of here. I'm going to find that rule,'' K-State's Bill Snyder said at the time. ''They did the best they could, it just took them an hour and a half to do it.''

Much of the time, those complaints from Big 12 fans have circled around the failures of Big 12 refs that happen to help the Big 12's biggest school and its most popular team.

Most of the time, referees call football pretty well. A lot of the time, they call it poorly, but poorly both ways. Sometimes, they call it so badly that it helps one team win and another lose. But this happens everywhere.

However, I certainly don't buy it when it's fans of the school that has everything go right all the time going nuts about the one time things go wrong. At least have your conspiracy theories make sense.
    No mention of the Fighting Manginos?

OSU still has a shot to get into something if they win out. The conference bis better off if Texas doesn't knock them off. Just like Texas vs Kansas about a decade ago

vCash

From 2004, back when the BCS was a big deal:

Mangino was fined $5,000 for the postgame comments:
    http://www2.kusports.com/news/2004/n...big_12_hammer/

As I'm sure you all recall, he had a much bigger fight a few years later when KU's athletic director (who didn't hire him) decided that it was time to find an excuse to fire him and claimed finger pokes and bear crawls were abusive enough to hire the softest softie in all of college football: Turner Gill!