Sooner Starter
    vCash

Power 5 conference teams as mid-majors

Bye week discussion: why not schedule some of the weak Power 5 conference teams in place of the mid-majors we do now? We could rake up some easy OOC wins against the Indianas & Vanderbilts of the world. They are basically equal or less of some of the mid-majors that we play now. They have larger stadiums and we could get better exposure from local media.

Some teams that would fit this category: Oregon State, Colorado, Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota, Rutgers, Kentucky, Boston College, Duke , NC State, Virginia.

What do you guys think?
    I set my DVR to record "The Biggest Loser" and now it records the Longhorn Network all day.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Re: Power 5 conference teams as mid-majors

Fine, I'll play:

We can't schedule Indiana because Bob Stoops doesn't like going against friends and ex-OC Kevin Wilson is there right now. Better Big Ten targets will be Purdue, Rutgers, Maryland, or poor, sorry, sad, 1-2 Nebrasky

Pac 12: Washington State (again, might not work because Mike Leach is up there still), Cal, Oregon State

SEC: Vanderbily a thousand times Vanderbilt, South Carolina after Steve Spurrier's gone

You've named all the ACC's already.

As for the Big 12, Kansas and Iowa State are not the only schedulables right now. Texas is perfect for non-conference teams right now, because it's a legit win without the legit opponent! Oooo, we beat Texas in Austin (on a missing extra point after blowing a huge lead). I'm mentioning the Big 12 because who knows, OU might leave someday

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 BermudaSooner's Avatar
    vCash

These games are scheduled way out in advance. Who knows who is going to be good in 8-10 years. So far I think we've been pretty lucky--catching FSU, Bama, Oregon, Tenn, Notre Dame in relative dips. We only (legitimately) lost one of those 10 games. That is amazing. I think we also had UCLA in there and went 1-1.

Unfortunately our timing starts to run out next year with Ohio State.
    "You get no moral credit for forcing other people to do what you think is right."---Penn Jillette

"It's what I do, I drink and I know things."---Tyrion Lannister

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BermudaSooner View Post
    These games are scheduled way out in advance. Who knows who is going to be good in 8-10 years. So far I think we've been pretty lucky--catching FSU, Bama, Oregon, Tenn, Notre Dame in relative dips. We only (legitimately) lost one of those 10 games. That is amazing. I think we also had UCLA in there and went 1-1.

Those teams you mentioned are the marquee games. Right now we schedule one cake-walk, one mid-major and one marquee. I'm suggesting we schedule a Power 5 lightweight instead of the mid-major game. I think fans would get more excited playing Purdue and Rutgers than they would Tulsa and Bowling Green.

Would have been funny if someone scheduled to play Baylor a few years ago with this thinking

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerForLife92 View Post
    Would have been funny if someone scheduled to play Baylor a few years ago with this thinking
    That's what Bermuda Sooner's point was.

It's an interesting thought, but the losing "name" schools sure enough will continue to throw money at their losing problem. Sometimes they turn it around within five years. Like a Baylor. It's a gamble.

Of course the mid majors and even a FCS teams jump and bite some "real" schools on the butt sometimes. So there are no guaranteed wins either way.

I just looked at the FCS rankings. Only six teams in the top 25 are undefeated.
    In the FBS top 25 everyone is undefeated except for 7 teams.
    Last edited by BigTip; 9/25/2015 at 09:58 PM.

vCash

we don't do home and homes with the mid-majors

we are down half a home game every year with Texas, so we kinda need the extras

it seems we are about 2-1 with Tulsa, but power conference teams aren't going to go for that inequity i don't think

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BermudaSooner View Post

We definitely did not catch Oregon on down years. They were not where they are today but they were on the rise and much better than their long term average.

We played ND the year they played for a national title. They were head and shoulders better that year than they had been in a decade.

Bama was down compared to now or the early '90s but in 2002 they did finish with the best record in the SEC West and would have played in the SEC championship game had they not been on probation.

vCash

Yeah, 2004 Oregon has just beaten Michigan hadn't they?

2002 Bama was Franchione. Lol. Aggies. Lol.