Thread: SEC Weekend

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 BermudaSooner's Avatar
    vCash

SEC Weekend

Not a very impressive weekend for the SEC.

Arky loses to Toledo.

Auburn should have lost to Jacksonville State. Why are they still ranked other than having SEC on their uniforms?

South Carolina is just not good, because there is just no way Kentucky is any good either.

Tennessee loss--although they are better than last year.

Maybe that Striker guy knows what he is talking about.
    "You get no moral credit for forcing other people to do what you think is right."---Penn Jillette

"It's what I do, I drink and I know things."---Tyrion Lannister

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 oupride's Avatar
    vCash

Re: SEC Weekend

LSU nearly lost to Mississippi State which may not count since they are both SEC, but not impressive. Weak.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by oupride View Post
    LSU nearly lost to Mississippi State which may not count since they are both SEC, but not impressive. Weak.
    MSU was driving and only needed FG to win at the end. Their kicker does not have great range and in the last set of downs teetering on FG range, they take a DELAY OF GAME penalty. Gawd, I hate bone-headed football.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BermudaSooner View Post
    Not a very impressive weekend for the SEC.

Arky loses to Toledo.

Auburn should have lost to Jacksonville State. Why are they still ranked other than having SEC on their uniforms?

South Carolina is just not good, because there is just no way Kentucky is any good either.

Tennessee loss--although they are better than last year.

Maybe that Striker guy knows what he is talking about.
    He's exactly right - the national media do blow smoke tokin' grass (or something like that). He never said they don't play some d@mn good football.

And now three times in a row, we've played better football.

How's it feel to be a Sooner?!?!
    Ukraine: Not Our Fight.

More epicycles!

vCash

Missouri beat a great, cough-cough, Ark State team, 27-20 and could have lost just as easily.
    on Big Tex burning....They mentioned this on College Football Live. Pollack asked if it represented the Texas defense. Herbie told him it represented the Texas bandwagon.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 BermudaSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 70sooner View Post
    Missouri beat a great, cough-cough, Ark State team, 27-20 and could have lost just as easily.
    Right, I knew there was one more lackluster performance.
    "You get no moral credit for forcing other people to do what you think is right."---Penn Jillette

"It's what I do, I drink and I know things."---Tyrion Lannister

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 oupride's Avatar
    vCash

I can confirm however the best highlights of the game were on SEC NOW channel. LOL

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by oupride View Post
    You obviously haven't received your SEC talking points. If LSU nearly lost to Miss State it's not because they aren't a great football team. It's a demonstration how tough the SEC is top to bottom.

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    You obviously haven't received your SEC talking points. If LSU nearly lost to Miss State it's not because they aren't a great football team. It's a demonstration how tough the SEC is top to bottom.
    OMG, so freeking true

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    MSU was driving and only needed FG to win at the end. Their kicker does not have great range and in the last set of downs teetering on FG range, they take a DELAY OF GAME penalty. Gawd, I hate bone-headed football.
    Speaking of which, Lester being Lester wanted to freeze the dude but did it too late and gave him a practice shot. Fortunately for lucky Lester he over corrected.
    You want a toe? I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock!!!!

Every single SEC team except maybe a&m is ranked too high. I guess you could say Alabama too and from watching Ole Miss this week I thought they deserved the ranking they had last week, not 15 and 11, ahead of us in both poles. Georgia, LSU, Ole Miss, and Auburn are all ranked too high.

Apparently wins against ranked OOC opponents don't matter all that much. What a load of crap. We should have jumped higher, a&m could possibly be higher, and MSU maybe as well.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mac94's Avatar
    vCash

This weekends Tech at Arkansas game has become a lot more interesting ... figured the Hogs would roll them before the season began ... now ... good opportunity for Tech.
    Gig 'Em and God Bless

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerForLife92 View Post
    Every single SEC team except maybe a&m is ranked too high. I guess you could say Alabama too and from watching Ole Miss this week I thought they deserved the ranking they had last week, not 15 and 11, ahead of us in both poles. Georgia, LSU, Ole Miss, and Auburn are all ranked too high.

Apparently wins against ranked OOC opponents don't matter all that much. What a load of crap. We should have jumped higher, a&m could possibly be higher, and MSU maybe as well.
    You can't have it both ways. You cant declare the SEC is overrated on one hand and then ask to get more spek for beating Tennessee on the other.
    "I think Auburn got away with one there! " - Steve Beuerlein, 9/16/2006

1) Lord loves a workin man
    2) Don't trust whitey
    3) See a doctor and get rid of it
    - Navin R. Johnson

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by LSUdeek View Post
    You can't have it both ways. You cant declare the SEC is overrated on one hand and then ask to get more spek for beating Tennessee on the other.
    This is a fan board - laws of math and physics don't apply

But I agree with you and I don't think OU is under-rated. A rating better than 20 is generous given how that game played out and the fact that the Vols don't look like a power house (we un-rated them). The Auburn rating is the only SEC head scratcher I see, other than that, ratings are pretty fuzzy after only 2 games. Besides, BCS doesn't publish until Nov, so who gives a rats azz anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by LSUdeek View Post
    I said every sec team I believe is ranked too high, and every team I believe deserve their ranking. The conference as a whole is overrated, Tennesee was ranked where they should be, perhaps to high. I'm not saying OU should be top 10, but being below teams that have proven nothing thus far does not make a lot of sense. As I said, A&M should be higher too.

Oh and let me know when Tennesee needs over time to beat an FCS school or loses to Toledo.

vCash

Based on how we finished up last year, and our recent track record of under performing we should be happy to be ranked anywhere this early. If we're a good football team rankings will take care of themselves in the end - a definite benefit of being a legacy program.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    Based on how we finished up last year, and our recent track record of under performing we should be happy to be ranked anywhere this early. If we're a good football team rankings will take care of themselves in the end - a definite benefit of being a legacy program.
    Yep. SEC may be over-hyped and sometimes over-rated, but OU has consistently been rated highly during the entire Stoops era. And I don't feel guilty about it

Auburn and LSU finished with the same record last year. Arkansas did even worse. To start the season Arkansas was ranked about where we were while LSU and auburn were ranked far above us. What did they do (excluding Arkansas) last week that they deserve to be ranked ahead of us still? Sure LSU had a win over a ranked opponent you can argue miss st and Tennessee are similar teams (not in my opinion) but that doesn't take away from the fact LSU was ranked too high in the first place. Luckily no name schools are starting to expose this sec myth.

You all do make good points, perhaps I'm being too overzealous on our team. Also these rankings don't even matter all that much but they still do. They affect perception throughout the entire season and if last year is any indication they affect the playoff committee as well. However I still believe ranked wins should matter a little more, so even if we don't deserve to be one or two spots higher, I think A&M and MSU do... But what do I know

vCash

If OU beats Baylor and TCU, OU will be in the playoff... because it's OU.
    "I think Auburn got away with one there! " - Steve Beuerlein, 9/16/2006

1) Lord loves a workin man
    2) Don't trust whitey
    3) See a doctor and get rid of it
    - Navin R. Johnson

vCash

If you're to look at last year's W/L record and how the team finished, OUr team finished '14 a steaming pile and should not have been ranked going into this year. The OSU and Clemson performances were 2 of the worst played games I saw last year - all games, not just OUr games.

Pre-season takes into account what changed since last year - players and coaches. And they are often not much better than a magic 8ball. People thought Muschamp was going to fix their D and send them to the CFP. Turns out their QB play may kill them. Arkie finished the strong and shutout Ole Miss and LSU back-to-back and returned lots of players. Oh well. We are getting tons of cred that Riley is going to charge up our offense in spite of the fact that we came in unsettled at QB and must rebuild the O-line.

I always read that early season rankings will influence the final BCS/CFP choices. But looking back at the end of each season, I don't see it. tOSU certainly wasn't ranked high after their loss and the BiG conference in general had zero respect. So much angst over nothing. OUr schedule is back loaded, so the path is pretty clear for us - we can't lose in Nov. or we are out of the CFB. Like tOSU last year, we could have lost to the Vols and recovered as long as we didn't get blown out. If we go into the BU game 9-0, we'll probably be top 5-6 by then. Then we'll have to prove if we deserve it or not.