vCash

Drinking the tears of my enemy. Knoxville News: Vols let the big one slip away, 31-24

http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/f...-3124_32854158

Strange that the video doesnt show any sooner touchdowns or the last play of the game.
    If the 4th quarter didnt happen, you will see we provided them with a impressive highlight reel.
    I will remember this game because of the major deflation we gave the Tennessee team and fans.

Highlights from the story below for the reading challenged:

The Sooners (2-0) didn’t score a touchdown on any of their first 12 possessions. Then they scored one on each of their last four, including two in overtime.

Perhaps the most telling statistic: After converting only one of their first 11 third downs, the Sooners converted eight of their final nine.

The big one got away.

The big one was a really big one — Oklahoma. And the Sooners left the Vols with a big hurt.

For a Tennessee program and fan base itching for validation that it’s back in college football’s center ring, the wait continues.

No. 19 Oklahoma overturned a 17-3 fourth-quarter lead by No. 23 Tennessee and escaped 31-24 in two overtimes, stunning a sell-out checkerboard-colored crowd of 102,455.

“The ball didn’t go our way, the calls didn’t go our way, we didn’t get the job done,’’ said Tennessee linebacker Jalen Reeves-Maybin.

The Sooners (2-0) didn’t score a touchdown on any of their first 12 possessions. Then they scored one on each of their last four, including two in overtime.

They never led until Baker Mayfield passed 18 yards to Sterling Shepard for a touchdown in the second overtime.

Down 31-24, Tennessee (1-1) had a chance to answer. It didn’t.

Joshua Dobbs was intercepted on third-and-13 by Oklahoma’s Alex Sanchez, the Vols’ first turnover of 2015.

The Oklahoma sideline erupted in celebration.

The Sooners won’t soon forget their first visit to Neyland Stadium. They climbed off the mat and left the Vols to contemplate a stinging setback on the road back to national relevance.

The Vols have lost 29 of 31 games against ranked opponents in the post-Phillip Fulmer era. The two exceptions were wins over South Carolina in 2009 and 2013.

Tennessee had the upper hand for most of the night, leading 17-0 in the second quarter and 17-3 in the fourth.

Dobbs — 13 of 31 passing for 125 yards — hit Josh Malone for a 9-yard touchdown in the first quarter.

In the second quarter, Dobbs scored on a 4-yard keeper and the Vols were up 17-0. The home crowd thundered.

There wouldn’t be much else to thunder about.

Tennessee failed to capitalize on favorable field position numerous times. One came early.

After a Todd Kelly Jr. interception gave Tennessee its first possession of the night, the Vols reached a first-and-goal at the Oklahoma 5.

On third-and-goal, Alvin Kamara was stopped barely short of the goal line. Coach Butch Jones played it safe, settling for a 19-yard Aaron Medley field goal rather than trying to gouge out those final inches to the end zone.

“You don’t want all or nothing plays at the beginning of a game,’’ Jones said. “We just felt we needed the points.’’

As it turned out, the Vols could have used those inches and the other four points they represented.

As it also turned out, Medley missed from 48 yards in the third quarter.

Another Kelly interception might have jump-started a stagnant Tennessee offense.

The Vols, leading 17-3, took over at the Oklahoma 29. But on the final play of the third quarter, Hurd fumbled and then recovered for a 12-yard loss to the 41.

Moments later, Trevor Daniel was punting. It was about to go downhill for the home team.

Oklahoma marched 80 yards for its first touchdown, a 2-yard Mayfield pass to Samaje Perine.

Along the way, two defensive holding penalties on linebacker Colton Jumper in pass coverage kept the 14-play Sooners’ drive alive.

With a 17-10 lead, Tennessee again failed to move and punted back to Oklahoma with 6:06 to play.

The Sooners’ drive lasted 13 plays against a tiring Tennessee defense. Again, a penalty was critical.

Malik Foreman was flagged for pass interference in the end zone. First down Oklahoma at the 16.

Mayfield — 19 of 39 for 187 yards — passed five yards to Shepard for the score. Seibert’s extra point tied it 17-17 with 40 seconds on the clock.

The Vols, who had eked out only 66 yards of offense in the second half, took a knee and went to overtime.

In the first overtime, Tennessee briefly flickered back to life. Jalen Hurd’s 8-yard touchdown run gave UT a 24-17 lead.

But Oklahoma matched it on Mayfield’s 1-yard, fourth-down keeper.

The teams then marched to the north end of the field for the second overtime. That’s where it ended.

Oklahoma outgained Tennessee 348 yards to 254. Hurd topped the century mark, rushing for 106 yards.

Perhaps the most telling statistic: After converting only one of their first 11 third downs, the Sooners converted eight of their final nine.

The Vols stay home next week to host Western Carolina of the Football Championship Subdivision. No matter how big the margin, it won’t make up for this missed opportunity.

The wait for validation continues.

vCash

Re: Drinking the tears of my enemy. Knoxville News: Vols let the big one slip away, 3

BOOMER SOONER
    and GEAUX SAINTS

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Re: Drinking the tears of my enemy. Knoxville News: Vols let the big one slip away, 3

....Striker was telling the fans of the SEC to send their recruits to the Big 12

....Hatari Byrd was telling the SEC fans that OU is still number one

....the game was the baseball equivalent of OU smashing a walk-off home run in extra innings....exciting

ss
    "You can trouble me for a warm glass of shut-the-hell-up"

Sooner Starter
    vCash

That's awesome. A 3 minute and 25 second Tennessee highlight reel and a 2 second mention of the final score.
    You want a toe? I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock!!!!

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Haha....This guy must really be confused. “The ball didn’t go our way, the calls didn’t go our way, we didn’t get the job done,’’ said Tennessee linebacker Jalen Reeves-Maybin.
    You want a toe? I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock!!!!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

They have no business complaining about the refs.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okie35's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by S.PadreIsl.Sooner View Post
    Exactly ... The strip for a TD and the no call PI were terrible ... As was the false start not being called and the PI being called which helped us ... But the worse was easily the "whistle" being blown on defensive TD... The refs were awful all around... Tennessee still had every opportunity to put us out.
    "If you're going to be at Oklahoma, you need to win, you need to contribute, you need to do all the little things to make this team succeed.'" T-Lew

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Therealsouthsider View Post
    ....Striker was telling the fans of the SEC to send their recruits to the Big 12

....Hatari Byrd was telling the SEC fans that OU is still number one

....the game was the baseball equivalent of OU smashing a walk-off home run in extra innings....exciting

ss
    So all these years we've been misspelling it. It's supposed to be "flipping the Byrd," apparently.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JLMSOONER View Post
    Haha....This guy must really be confused. “The ball didn’t go our way, the calls didn’t go our way, we didn’t get the job done,’’ said Tennessee linebacker Jalen Reeves-Maybin.
    I've pretty much decided anyone that chooses to go with a hyphenated name is a dumbass!
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

Who the hell is ALEX Sanchez? This writer needs to research better

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerForLife92 View Post
    heh
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by S.PadreIsl.Sooner View Post
    Exactly. Almost like politicians, spin it their way so it sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerForLife92 View Post
    Read that too, funny guy..lol
    BOOMER SOONER
    and GEAUX SAINTS

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JLMSOONER View Post
    Stuck to chain restaurants on the way home yesterday, because I had enough home cookin' Saturday night.
    Ukraine: Not Our Fight.

More epicycles!