Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member achiro's Avatar
    vCash

Anyone calling for QB change last night during the game...

including the announcer calling the game, you're freaking stupid! Mayfield played a hell of a game, dropped passes, penalties, and a pretty terrible O-line, those are not his fault. That game would have been a blow out if the big plays early hadn't been called back or dropped(or intercepted after a missed catch). He missed on a few passes but good Lord anyone that has watched Knight the last 2 years knows the accuracy is above and beyond what we've had.

On another note, isn't it awesome to have a team that has the ability to comeback from a deficit and win the game?!?!?! The teams we've seen the last few years just didn't have the capability to do it and when they got down,you pretty much knew it was over.
    I would agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Re: Anyone calling for QB change last night during the game...

....never felt a change was necessary....why make things worse, QB wasn't the issue....it was mistakes, poor execution and penalties

....the 2015 Sooners are still learning who they are and what they are capable of

ss
    "You can trouble me for a warm glass of shut-the-hell-up"

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I got really sick of the ESPN producer having the picture go to Knight every other time the offense didnt get positive yards. They seriously went to Knight 2 times per series minimum.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

At least when TK was being shown, you could see he was talking and moving his hands around, involved in the game, not just standing there slackjawed.

I admit, I kept waiting for Stoops to drop the hammer on Mayfield.

He made the decision to stick with him and we get to celebrate, vols fans shocked to silence.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by achiro View Post
    including the announcer calling the game, you're freaking stupid! Mayfield played a hell of a game, dropped passes, penalties, and a pretty terrible O-line, those are not his fault. That game would have been a blow out if the big plays early hadn't been called back or dropped(or intercepted after a missed catch). He missed on a few passes but good Lord anyone that has watched Knight the last 2 years knows the accuracy is above and beyond what we've had.

On another note, isn't it awesome to have a team that has the ability to comeback from a deficit and win the game?!?!?! The teams we've seen the last few years just didn't have the capability to do it and when they got down,you pretty much knew it was over.

Couldn't agree more...mayfield had some great throws, wr were dropping balls, penalties, and the line couldn't block worth shi$. Which is my biggest concern, our line can't run block and a lot of blown assignments, very young group

vCash

Instead of callin folks stupid why dont you ask for their reasoning 1st.
    I agree Baker is the man, I wondered last night in TK might not be the better option for the simple fact that the Noise kept our Offense screwed up all night.
    TK is a far better runner than Mayfield and I dont want BM hurt trying to run anyway.
    Turned out it worked out for us. But at the time it seemed like a viable option
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Instead of callin folks stupid why dont you ask for their reasoning 1st.
    I agree Baker is the man, I wondered last night in TK might not be the better option for the simple fact that the Noise kept our Offense screwed up all night.
    TK is a far better runner than Mayfield and I dont want BM hurt trying to run anyway.
    Turned out it worked out for us. But at the time it seemed like a viable option
    I'm not so sure baker isn't a better runner. He certainly runs the read option better, and when he gets hit he doesn't almost die

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I'll admit that I thought it might be good to make a change. Not because I thought that Mayfield was the problem, but rather because it just looked like we were completely flat from an emotional/energy standpoint, and sometimes you can get a jolt by bringing in a different guy who can make some big plays with his legs. Mayfield is a crafty scrambler, but isn't going to break off any 20-30 yard runs.

I was happy to see that Mayfield hung in there and made the big plays when we needed them. Hopefully the rest of the offense steps things up as the rest of the season progresses. If we don't do a better job blocking things up front, I'm not sure that he'll be able to stay healthy all season.

Also, I'll admit that there's a part of me that wants to see if Knight can reach that potential we saw during the Alabama game with new coaching. His physical tools, in terms of arm strength and mobility, are better than anybody else we've ever had at the position, so if somebody could ever get him to combine those physical tools with better decision-making, I think he could be a great player.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

When he threw the second INT, I wanted Trevor. After that, Perrine, Mixon, Sterling, and Baker really turned it up a notch.

The interceptions weren't even that bad.

I agree. The second the announcer said that I was thinking how stupid could you be... He is passing fine he is just barely getting any protection and hardly any run game.

I am very glad Stoops stuck with Mayfield. I feel as the season goes on Mayfield is going to get very hot, and we wont have this slow starts. Think things will really start to click as the season foes on.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Pulling the starter would be Coach Riley's call and he's not gonna do that under those conditions. Baker would be looking over his shoulder the rest of the season. Would not be smart...
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

vCash

If Knight never plays again except in a relief role, I'll be pleased.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

Knight is a heck of a person, and I don't mean anything to do with his religious affiliation. I mean his constant upbeat attitude on the sideline, his communication with his teammates, his support of them, never hanging his head, and being the great leader he is.

But.. As we all know he is not the answer. He just doesn't have the accuracy we need. I wish him the best but I'm really happy we have Mayfield now. Just need the o-line to improve.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Tevor Knight is a better 'running QB' ie. any of the read option type offenses. Mayfield is a better scrambling QB. Sort of like the way Fran Tarkenton used to play.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    Tevor Knight is a better 'running QB' ie. any of the read option type offenses. Mayfield is a better scrambling QB. Sort of like the way Fran Tarkenton used to play.
    Im not so sure. Knight may be faster but I've never understood his mechanic of let me hold the ball out super far to try and do a zone read. Keeping the ball closer to you, making a better fake, i.e. Dobbs last night, is how you run the read option and make it trickier. I don't understand why our coaches don't instill that mechanic better. However it did look like Mayfield might be a little better at that.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 jdsooner's Avatar
    vCash

Todd Blackledge suggested putting in Knight and my mind immediately flashed back to the terrible interception he threw last week against Akron. I think that Mayfield has a better arm, better pocket presence, stays cool under fire, is a better scrambler, and runs the qb read option better than Knight. And, I will add, he has yet to throw a pick six.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

IMO both of Mayfield's interceptions were the receiver's fault. The first one went through Westbrrok's hands. I guess Mayfield could have thrown it softer but a decent D-1 receiver needs to catch that ball. On the second interception I think the receiver turned the wrong way on a timing route. Could be wrong on that.

Mayfield was running for his life the entire night. He borke several tackles and had several passes dropped. OU again was ineffective early running the ball. No way was the offensive impotence due to Mayfield.

Biggest positives: Mayfield's emotion and attitude. Lincoln Riley's adjustments.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I agree, the first interception should have been caught, and the second was an obvious mis-communication. We can't expect perfection, they are college kids.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 oupride's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerinSouthlake View Post
    I got really sick of the ESPN producer having the picture go to Knight every other time the offense didnt get positive yards. They seriously went to Knight 2 times per series minimum.
    ditto