vCash

Troy Aikman's transfer from Oklahoma to UCLA helped both programs

We continue our series looking at the most successful second chance stories in college football history. We will highlight players and coaches that have found success or redemption at a second school after a transfer or coaching change in Double Dip, presented by IHop. Today, we examine Troy Aikman's transfer from Oklahoma to UCLA, which worked out for all parties involved.

First Stop: Troy Aikman started his college career at the University of Oklahoma and took over as the Sooners' starter in 1985, his sophomore year. Under Aikman's leadership, the Sooners began the season 3-0, including a win over rival Texas. Against Miami, in the only loss of the season for Oklahoma, Aikman's ankle was broken, and he was ruled out for the season.

With Aikman out, Barry Switzer switched his offense from an I-formation, pro-style system back to the run-heavy wishbone offense. That change proved to be extremely successful, and the Sooners went on to win the 1985 national championship running the wishbone with Jamelle Holieway as quarterback.

With Oklahoma back in the wishbone, Aikman decided to transfer out of Norman to go to a program where he would be in an offense better suited for him and throw the ball more. He ended up deciding on UCLA, leaving Oklahoma for Los Angeles.

Double Dip: Aikman sat out the 1986 season at UCLA due to NCAA transfer rules but took over as the Bruins' starter in 1987. Over two seasons at UCLA, Aikman completed 64.8 percent of his passes and threw for 5,298 yards, 41 touchdowns and 17 interceptions.

In 1987, Aikman was named the Pac-10 Offensive Player of the Year as the Bruins went 10-2 with a win in the Aloha Bowl over Florida. In 1988, Aikman won the Davey O'Brien Award as the top quarterback in the nation and was named a consensus All-American while finishing third in the Heisman Trophy voting. The Bruins went 10-2 again in 1988, winning in the Cotton Bowl against Arkansas to end the season.

Aikman's transfer to UCLA proved to be a positive for both schools and Aikman as Oklahoma found success in the wishbone and UCLA won 20 games in two years under Aikman's guidance. After his two terrific seasons at UCLA, Aikman became the top commodity in the 1989 NFL Draft and was taken first overall by the Dallas Cowboys.

Pro Career: Aikman's time at UCLA paid off in a big way once he got to the NFL. After a rough 1989 season for the Cowboys, they went on to become the team of the 1990s.

Aikman had a Hall of Fame career with the Dallas Cowboys, leading them to three Super Bowl titles in the early 90s. He was a six-time Pro-Bowler, won the Super Bowl MVP in 1993 and is the Cowboys' all-time leading passer with 32,942 yards.

He was named to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2006 and the College Football Hall of Fame in 2008. Aikman currently works as an NFL analyst and color commentator for FOX Sports.

Troy Aikman found lots of success after transferring to UCLA. (USATSI)Troy Aikman found lots of success after transferring to UCLA. (USATSI)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Troy Aikman's transfer from Oklahoma to UCLA helped both programs

I was at that Miami game and believe to this day that Jimmy Johnson instructed his team to injure Aikman. Aikman was trading scores with Testaverde and we likely win that game if he isn't injured. And who knows how the rest of the '80's OU v. UM play out?
    I hate Jimmy Johnson like the plague.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

We were sitting in Section 4 about 30 rows up. It wouldn't surprise me if Johnson or the players themselves called that.

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    I hate Jimmy Johnson like the plague.
    Isn't that redundant? Aren't Jimmy Johnson and the plague the same thing?

Sooner Starter
    vCash

...I'm glad Aikman left, he is an @ss

ss
    "You can trouble me for a warm glass of shut-the-hell-up"

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Aikman is a 'difficult' person, no doubt. But the change he represented, moving away from a wishbone to a 'pro' offense was something the fans at the time had been screaming for and was needed in the program. Losing Aikman at that moment set back the transition by five to ten years and helped set up the malaise of the 90's.
    I sincerely hope Jimmy's dick rots and drops off. Today.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown