Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

The ghost of Charlie Weis continues to haunt KU

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 dwarthog's Avatar
    vCash

Re: The ghost of Charlie Weis continues to haunt KU

I betcha there are some buffets in the area he left in ruins too.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I am very, very sad to see the practice celebration video seems to have been purged from the Intarwebs.

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

Charlie Weis is a decent NFL assistant, but that is it. He doesn't relate well to college athletes, and if he doesn't have superior talent he has no idea what to do. He certainly didn't have that in Lawrence, and the lack of success on the field just made recruiting that much more difficult.

According to the article, Kansas has four starters returning. Total. The new coach's job is going to be massive.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

Wasn't the Weis hire part of the overall problems in the athletic department that started with the hiring of Lew Perkins from UConn? Mangino wasn't his guy and neither was Self, it seems that he was successful in getting rid of Mangino (which has the second highest win total of all KU football coaches) and was almost successful in running Self off even winning a title under Perkins tenure. Gill was the hot new name but was much like Blake and shown to only be a good recruiter, Weis was the big name at the moment after getting pushed out at ND. Perkins forgot footballs "place" at KU, it isn't a destination job.

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

Weis was brought in as offensive coordinator at Florida to prop up Will Muschamp. He was paid a fair amount of money for an assistant, $750K per season. His offense was a disaster (partly due to Muschamp's 1950s offensive philosophy, I grant you), and then he bolted for the Kansas job. Kansas has to be kicking themselves for passing on Gus Malzahn and going for the "name".

Emma's Daddy! SoonerStormchaser's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dwarthog View Post
    I betcha there are some buffets in the area he left in ruins too.
    After nearly a decade of Mangino, they were used to it...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

a buddy of mine is a huge ku fan....even football...lol. We are talking after basketball the other night. They only have 65 scholarship guys...he said like only 5 guys that have ever played a single down last year. I didn't read the article but according to him it's a ****show.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

On the bright side, no where to go but up.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jacie View Post
    On the bright side, no where to go but up.
    If K-State can come up from the cesspool they were in for so long there is no reason why KU can't at least get respectable.

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

KSU's program got jump started by an alum who hit a lottery jackpot and sunk a ton of money into football facilities.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Don't feel sorry for the bluebirds. Remember 1984...and 1975. One MNC derailed, and another almost. Plus, all those years when KU would obediently roll over for Nebraska to the tune of 56-3, yet play like men possessed against Oklahoma. One of the great mysteries of the Big 8 era.

Now I'm thinking I might just go to Lawrence to watch the destruction.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by VegasSooner View Post
    KSU's program got jump started by an alum who hit a lottery jackpot and sunk a ton of money into football facilities.
    That and Snyder did something never done before and not done since, he redshirted every player who still had one that could come back the next year. This was with a team that had not won a game in 3 seasons. It was an audacious plan and took a year for the results to improve but it worked.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by VegasSooner View Post
    It was still a minor miracle that K-State came up from those depths, people throw money at much better programs and things never get to that level. Look at Maryland and all their Underarmour money....you could also include A&M in that.

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

When I was at OU in the 1970s, KSU football was a total joke. Some Pride buddies and I made the trip to Manhattan in 1975 for the game. It was the strangest atmosphere I have ever seen for a football game. Outside the stadium, a KSU fan tried to bet us a watermelon that they were going to win (I'm not sure how we would have collected). Their mascot drove a purple tractor back and forth behind one of the end zones. Apparently a special KSU tractor either made or sold by a company in town. The game got out of hand pretty early, and the fans started entertaining themselves. They threw toilet paper at their team, their cheerleaders and their band. They left us alone, though.