Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Baker Mayfield to be named Sooners starting quarterback

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    The struggle was only referring to offense, not overall. And in particular about QB play since this thread is about Mayfield being named starter. Knight threw for 86 yards that day and was picked once. I listened to that game on the radio and thought it was a struggle given the competition. The defense dominated obviously, but Knights debut as a starter was shaky and it stayed that way for most the season. That's how I interpreted what TDTW as saying - he can correct me if I'm wrong. Lot's of things have changed in the last 2 years, so I don't anticipate a repeat of '13 with Mayfield as starter. We may suck, but it will be for fresh, new reasons.
    You are correct. And, it was terrible to watch in person. I think Knight was something like 10 of 30 passing that game. It was awful.

I remember thinking, "If this guy beat out Bell, how bad does Bell have to be?" But, then, Bell led us to victory over Notre Dame at South Bend a couple of weeks later.

The thing is, having seen plenty of Knight, and now having gone back and watched a bunch of 2013 Texas Tech games, there just doesn't seem to be much difference in the two. And, really, Knight is the better runner. They are equally average passers.

I say we'll win seven to nine games, but not because I think highly of the athletic ability of the QBs. It's because our schedule just isn't all that difficult. The Big 12 isn't the gauntlet it used to be, and the out of conference foes really aren't great.

Tennessee will be tough to play at their house, for sure. But, they are almost a decade removed from the championship caliber teams that you would formerly fear playing on the road. I look at Tennessee now as something akin to the 2003 Alabama squad under Shula - yes, a traditional power; but, a notch or two below their glory years.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Landthief 1972's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    Red and White game? Seriously?

We've seen Mayfield in real game time. He is not even remotely close to Jason White in any way, shape, or form. If we had any real quarterbacks on the roster, Mayfield would be a career scout teamer.

White, who did not begin or end the 2001 season as our starter. And, the few games he did start, he wasn't turning the ball over or fumbling at the rate that Mayfield did.
    Completely missed the point(s).

1. You and others have been pointing to Mayfield's poor performance in the Red and White game as an indicator that he hasn't improved since his freshman year. I just showed that White didn't play well in his Red and White in 2003, and went on to win the Heisman.

2. No, White did not begin or end the 2001 season as our starter, but he started in seven games...the same amount of games that Mayfield started in 2013. And if you think 2001 White was the same killer pocket passer as the 2003 version, you have a serious memory issue, because 2001 White made plays with his legs, not his arm. You also glossed right over the fact that White's QB rating was no better than Mayfield's despite the fact that a QB rating takes into account for INTs.

3. I even made sure to indicate that my comparisons weren't implying that Mayfield was going to perform as well as White in 2003, simply that judging him on game film from 2013 and playing 5 series in the Red and White is jumping the gun. But by all means, continue on with your doom and gloom. You must be a blast at parties.
    Certainly, without a doubt, this is my signature, and I wrote it in a great way.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    You are correct. And, it was terrible to watch in person. I think Knight was something like 10 of 30 passing that game. It was awful.

I remember thinking, "If this guy beat out Bell, how bad does Bell have to be?" But, then, Bell led us to victory over Notre Dame at South Bend a couple of weeks later.

The thing is, having seen plenty of Knight, and now having gone back and watched a bunch of 2013 Texas Tech games, there just doesn't seem to be much difference in the two. And, really, Knight is the better runner. They are equally average passers.

I say we'll win seven to nine games, but not because I think highly of the athletic ability of the QBs. It's because our schedule just isn't all that difficult. The Big 12 isn't the gauntlet it used to be, and the out of conference foes really aren't great.

Tennessee will be tough to play at their house, for sure. But, they are almost a decade removed from the championship caliber teams that you would formerly fear playing on the road. I look at Tennessee now as something akin to the 2003 Alabama squad under Shula - yes, a traditional power; but, a notch or two below their glory years.
    I picked them at 8-4 with an upside bias. I do think we will struggle from game to game. A new QB and O-Line is a recipe for some Keystone Cops moments. I just think this team is more talented then they are being given credit for being.