Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner Starter
    vCash

Baker Mayfield to be named Sooners starting quarterback

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of liberty."
    - President John F. Kennedy

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Re: Baker Mayfield to be named Sooners starting quarterback

Really no suprise here. Guess it shows how far knight has fallen since the sugar bowl...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Does it also show Cody Thomas not progressing? This is his third season with a redshirt already burned. Clock is ticking.

With other QB committed already for 2015, does Thomas transfer to FCS after this season or ride it out? The new NCAA rule from a couple of years back makes it popular for these types to finish the degree at one place then be eligible to another for his senior year. Drew Allen tried that route to Syracuse.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ObiKaTony View Post
    Really no suprise here. Guess it shows how far knight has fallen since the sugar bowl...
    I don't think Knight's skill set is a good one for this offense. also tt could just be that Mayfield is a pretty decent QB.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Here's my take...

#1 Stoops knows more than kliff...
    #2 Stoops knows more than a lot of us....
    #3 Maybe, just maybe Mayfield will be a better fit at OU.

I know my son is at his 2nd Juco for baseball...already in 2 weeks he says it's better than any day at his old one. Sometimes it's just not a fit at one school.

I'll wait and see how the season goes before I form a true opinion on whether or not this was the right decision.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    Here's my take...

#1 Stoops knows more than kliff...
    #2 Stoops knows more than a lot of us....
    #3 Maybe, just maybe Mayfield will be a better fit at OU.

I know my son is at his 2nd Juco for baseball...already in 2 weeks he says it's better than any day at his old one. Sometimes it's just not a fit at one school.

I'll wait and see how the season goes before I form a true opinion on whether or not this was the right decision.
    I think some people just don't like the fact that Mayfield wasn't a highly recruited Rivals Blueblood.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    I think some people just don't like the fact that Mayfield wasn't a highly recruited Rivals Blueblood.
    I think what people don't like is that when you take away his first two games at Tech, against SMU and Stephen F. Austin, he was very pedestrian and turned the ball over:

SMU and Stephen F Austin:
    64 of 90 for 780 yards, 71.1% completion rate, 7 TDs, 0 interceptions

Team not named SMU or Stephen F Austin:
    154 of 250 for 1,535 yards, 61.6% completion rate, 5 TDs, 9 interceptions

Injured for four games, beat out at QB for the bowl game.

I think what we have here is, really, Trevor Knight's athletic twin - can light up very poor competition (sometimes...was pulled from the 2013 games against Texas State after failing to lead the Red Raiders to a TD, but turning the ball over), occasionally plays well against better competition; but in the end, is not the straw that can stir the drink.

Against a TCU squad that went 4-8 in 2013, Mayfield was 21 of 40, 216 yards, 52.5% completion rate, 1 TD, and 3 interceptions. K-State and Texas demolished him. He couldn't manage a TD pass against the lowly Jayhawks, and was injured against them.

In the eight games he did play in, he fumbled nine times, losing two. Again, this is a smaller player playing in a big boy league. By the end of the season, Tech fans were calling him Baker Mayfumble.

So, anyway...going into the season, whether Knight or Mayfield is playing, I believe you essentially have the same player. And, that's the problem. Cody Thomas was worse than both of them in the three games he started last year. Kid should have stuck it out in baseball, signed his contract out of high school, and made a little money before attending college.
    Last edited by Tear Down This Wall; 8/27/2015 at 09:25 AM.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

vCash

Knight's fumble numbers:

18 games played in two seasons - 6 fumbles, 2 lost.

Knight, it appears, at least holds onto the ball a little better while running or being sacked. Other than that...same player.

We really are in a quarterback pickle, fellas.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    I think what people don't like is that when you take away his first two games at Tech, against SMU and Stephen F. Austin, he was very pedestrian and turned the ball over:

I think what we have here is, really, Trevor Knight's athletic twin - can light up very poor competition (sometimes...was pulled from the 2013 games against Texas State after failing to lead the Red Raiders to a TD, but turning the ball over), occasionally plays well against better competition; but in the end, is not the straw that can stir the drink.

Against a TCU squad that went 4-8 in 2013, Mayfield was 21 of 40, 216 yards, 52.5% completion rate, 1 TD, and 3 interceptions. K-State and Texas demolished him. He couldn't manage a TD pass against the lowly Jayhawks, and was injured against them.

In the eight games he did play in, he fumbled nine times, losing two. Again, this is a smaller player playing in a big boy league. By the end of the season, Tech fans were calling him Baker Mayfumble.

So, anyway...going into the season, whether Knight or Mayfield is playing, I believe you essentially have the same player. And, that's the problem. Cody Thomas was worse than both of them in the three games he started last year. Kid should have stuck it out in baseball, signed his contract out of high school, and made a little money before attending college.
    Maybe we could let him take a few snaps before assuming the worst? Just a thought.

vCash

Maybe we could let him take a few snaps before assuming the worst? Just a thought.
    Of course. All I'm saying is, scale back what you think is coming from the QB position. History shows that it is about what we already had on the roster.

All I want the kid to do is turn around, not trip over Dimitri Flowers as he runs by, and hand the ball to Samaje Perine. Because he isn't new, there is plenty of game film on what he does as far as passing once the lights are on and the camera is rolling - and, it's pretty average.

If he was new and had never played a down of college football, I'd take your wait and see approach. But, I've seen all three - Knight, Mayfield, and Thomas - so...please, just don't f*ck up handing off to Perine and we'll be half way home.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Mayfield wins the Game of Throwns. Only about a week to go to see what we -- and he -- have.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Landthief 1972's Avatar
    vCash

True freshman numbers. Fun fact: Mayfield's QB rating in 2013 (7 games, 127) is higher than Jason White's in both 2001 (7 games, 124), and 2002 (3 games, 101). Am I saying 2015 Mayfield is going to come out and light it up like 2003 White? Of course not. What I am saying is that the kid's had a year to grow. Let's at least let him play a few snaps before we slit our wrists. Oh, and in the 2003 Red and White game, White plays the first quarter and one series in the second; he completes 7 of 13 passes for 70 yards with two interceptions. How did the rest of his season go?
    Certainly, without a doubt, this is my signature, and I wrote it in a great way.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

A friend who is a Texas Tech alum said the biggest problem with Mayfield is his confidence...that he has too much of it, and thinks he can make EVERY throw, and while there would force the ball at times, which led to the interceptions.

I'm hoping Riley has pointed it out to him and has broken him of it. The other side of it for me is he's surrounded by a much better team and overall coaching staff than at Tech. I'm ready for games to start...let's see what we've got before we write off the whole season. I usually don't write off the season until mid-January when all the results are in, but then I don't have a dubious presidential quote for my signature.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    A friend who is a Texas Tech alum said the biggest problem with Mayfield is his confidence...that he has too much of it, and thinks he can make EVERY throw, and while there would force the ball at times, which led to the interceptions.

I'm hoping Riley has pointed it out to him and has broken him of it. The other side of it for me is he's surrounded by a much better team and overall coaching staff than at Tech. I'm ready for games to start...let's see what we've got before we write off the whole season. I usually don't write off the season until mid-January when all the results are in, but then I don't have a dubious presidential quote for my signature.
    as long as he's not johnny buttwipe manziel cocky...I'm good with it...

and yes confidence doesn't equal cocky...I want him to confident but not cocky.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Landthief 1972 View Post
    True freshman numbers. Fun fact: Mayfield's QB rating in 2013 (7 games, 127) is higher than Jason White's in both 2001 (7 games, 124), and 2002 (3 games, 101). Am I saying 2015 Mayfield is going to come out and light it up like 2003 White? Of course not. What I am saying is that the kid's had a year to grow. Let's at least let him play a few snaps before we slit our wrists. Oh, and in the 2003 Red and White game, White plays the first quarter and one series in the second; he completes 7 of 13 passes for 70 yards with two interceptions. How did the rest of his season go?
    Red and White game? Seriously?

We've seen Mayfield in real game time. He is not even remotely close to Jason White in any way, shape, or form. If we had any real quarterbacks on the roster, Mayfield would be a career scout teamer.

White, who did not begin or end the 2001 season as our starter. And, the few games he did start, he wasn't turning the ball over or fumbling at the rate that Mayfield did.
    Last edited by Tear Down This Wall; 8/28/2015 at 09:45 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post

That may have nothing to do with confidence and everything to do with the fact he's only 5'11" being pressured by linemen that are normally 6'2" and taller, greatly hindering his ability to see clearly down the field.

No one is writing off the whole season - UNLESS - we are putting the whole season in Mayfield's hands. The season, offensively, should be in Perine's hands...if our coaching staff has any shred of brain power left whatsoever. And, that is a highly debatable point at this juncture.

And, let me be clear, if we fail under Mayfield/Knight, I don't blame Mayfield/Knight because they don't have the tools to succeed consistently at the level in the first place. Either would be perfect at a Mountain West or AAC school. They'd be All-Conference/MVP-type in conferences such as the MAC, Sun Belt, and C-USA.

If the season is a failure, I will place the blame where it rightly belongs: on the coaches who put together the roster to the point where they have nowhere else to turn except Mayfield/Knight.

Sorry, again...I am not going to be like the last of the Longhorn faithful who were defending Mack Brown as the program eroded. In college, the coaches form the rosters and call the shots. It's not like the NFL where the Owner and GM are putting the team/talent together.

In college, if a team is failing, it is the coaching staff that has put the roster together. And, especially, when you have cases like Mack and Bob where they have been doing it for 15+ years.

Mack Brown screwed up his roster to the point where Derp was his starter and BYU was running roughshod over them. Our defense, last season, was to the point where anyone with a half-decent offense was going to give us hell.

There's just a ton of ground to make up, folks, from when we were championship caliber season after season. I love the university and love going to the games with my wife and kids. But - sheesh - if we're struggling out of the gate against Akron like we did a couple of seasons ago against ULM...? It's a problem.
    Last edited by Tear Down This Wall; 8/28/2015 at 10:14 AM.

vCash

But - sheesh - if we're struggling out of the gate against Akron like we did a couple of seasons ago against ULM...? It's a problem.
    We beat ULM 34-0. It wasn't that much of a struggle.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

We beat ULM 34-0. It wasn't that much of a struggle.
    Have to agree with TDTW on this one - is was a struggle for the offense out of the gate. Eventually snow balled for us due to depth and talent, not execution. And it did foretell of offensive struggles to come.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Have to agree with TDTW on this one - is was a struggle for the offense out of the gate. Eventually snow balled for us due to depth and talent, not execution. And it did foretell of offensive struggles to come.
    The offense in general did OK. We ran on them effectively. Knight threw for three touchdowns. When I think struggle the numbers 34-0 don't come to mind. A struggle to me would be like Utah St in 2010.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

The offense in general did OK. We ran on them effectively. Knight threw for three touchdowns. When I think struggle the numbers 34-0 don't come to mind. A struggle to me would be like Utah St in 2010.
    The struggle was only referring to offense, not overall. And in particular about QB play since this thread is about Mayfield being named starter. Knight threw for 86 yards that day and was picked once. I listened to that game on the radio and thought it was a struggle given the competition. The defense dominated obviously, but Knights debut as a starter was shaky and it stayed that way for most the season. That's how I interpreted what TDTW as saying - he can correct me if I'm wrong. Lot's of things have changed in the last 2 years, so I don't anticipate a repeat of '13 with Mayfield as starter. We may suck, but it will be for fresh, new reasons.