Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ShaggyBevo down

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

ShaggyBevo down

Thought I'd go there for a few laughs, but alas, it's no more! Found this on a TCU board:

Apparently Texas/Steve Patterson decided to enact trademark protection laws on the "Bevo" part of ShaggyBevo.

I'm sure this will end in a very civil matter and positive dialogue with well-qualified legal opinions. /s

http://www.shaggytex...ggy-name-change
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Landthief 1972's Avatar
    vCash

Re: ShaggyBevo down

The name change hasn't made them any less delusional:

Cool. Now we can get back to winning.
    With a few exceptions:

What is happening to my university?
    I guess we're a threat to the integrity of the Brand in their eyes.
    Actually a valid concern
    Certainly, without a doubt, this is my signature, and I wrote it in a great way.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

welp... still losing to domer

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I liked the ShaggyBevo name and ShaggyTexas doesn't make sense. I wonder if they will be able to revert back after Patterson gets fired?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Landthief 1972 View Post
    The name change hasn't made them any less delusional:

With a few exceptions:
    That first comment was sarcasm.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

...and people thought DeLoss was greedy.

vCash

Well, I can't get shaggytexas to load either. Somehow I'll just have to forge on.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 dwarthog's Avatar
    vCash

It just loaded successfully for me. They are sure raking Patterson over the coals. Along with whoever his designated hit person was that delivered the news to the people in charge of the site they needed to change the name or else.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

So the uni of sa*et OWNS the word Bevo?

What a total rat f*ck that place is becoming under Steve Patterson's reign, it's like they handed him dictatorial-like power, the keys to ALL the Ferraris AND the passwords to every bank account and said, "Here, do . . . something."

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jacie View Post
    So the uni of sa*et OWNS the word Bevo?

What a total rat f*ck that place is becoming under Steve Patterson's reign, it's like they handed him dictatorial-like power, the keys to ALL the Ferraris AND the passwords to every bank account and said, "Here, do . . . something."
    Well, to be fair, both OU and OSU have their trademarks locked down tight as well. I work in advertising for the largest newspaper in Oklahoma that shall remain nameless [cough]. When an advertiser wants to do football or basketballl-themed ads, they can't use school logos, school names (including mascot), official school mottos (such as, "There's Only One Oklahoma," "Boomer Sooner"), mascot photos or art, official helmets, etc. They can't even say "Come in to our store and we'll give you a FREE Sooners hand towel!"

UNLESS...

They are licensed to use the university trademarks.

Same goes for the Thunder and the Dodgers.
    Certainly, without a doubt, this is my signature, and I wrote it in a great way.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

It's a fine line. I was just over there and didn't see any comments about The Clamp Down. Perhaps they've agreed to move on. Pity really. Ultimately, of course, the University has to control its brand...and equally obviously, over control will result in a sterile brand that no one is interested in. Kind of like what happened with the Pride.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 dwarthog's Avatar
    vCash

There is 15 pages of fun here with regards to the clamp down/name change mess.

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/sho...gy-name-change

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Landthief 1972 View Post
    Well, to be fair, both OU and OSU have their trademarks locked down tight as well. I work in advertising for the largest newspaper in Oklahoma that shall remain nameless [cough]. When an advertiser wants to do football or basketballl-themed ads, they can't use school logos, school names (including mascot), official school mottos (such as, "There's Only One Oklahoma," "Boomer Sooner"), mascot photos or art, official helmets, etc. They can't even say "Come in to our store and we'll give you a FREE Sooners hand towel!"

UNLESS...

They are licensed to use the university trademarks.

Same goes for the Thunder and the Dodgers.
    COME AND GET YOUR FREE ANTI-LATERS HAND TOWEL! THUNDERING ANTI-LATERS!!!!!!!!!!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Wow. That is what worries the Texas athletic department? A website friendly to its cause? How many OU-related sites would have to change names if our AD got this paranoid?
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by swardboy View Post
    COME AND GET YOUR FREE ANTI-LATERS HAND TOWEL! THUNDERING ANTI-LATERS!!!!!!!!!!
    LOL, we've had to resort to things like, "your favorite college football team," and then use the school colors (but we can't actually use the words "crimson and cream," ironically.

Had a blogger advertise his site that had OU in the name and URL, and he didn't have a license. Flat-out refused to back down, and we ended up letting them run, only because he had no advertising on his site, so he wasn't using the school name for profit. Still made him sign a waiver.

HMFIC
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    Wow. That is what worries the Texas athletic department? A website friendly to its cause? How many OU-related sites would have to change names if our AD got this paranoid?
    Once, and I don't remember when it was, but pre-Joe C, I got hassled by the Athletic department for having pics that I took at the games on the site because the pics contained logos, etc., on the players' uniforms. Told them that's not how that works,and that I wasn't taking anything down. Never heard from them again.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch. Love that the "TEXAS" in their changed logo is in red.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Once, and I don't remember when it was, but pre-Joe C, I got hassled by the Athletic department for having pics that I took at the games on the site because the pics contained logos, etc., on the players' uniforms. Told them that's not how that works,and that I wasn't taking anything down. Never heard from them again.
    Crazy. I can't imagine what any school could do now. Seems the OU athletic department rolls with it now.

Best example is that part of the in-game bit of having you text your gameday photographs to the department and they show them on the big screen video boards during the fourth quarter.

I mean, how can you really police that stuff? Little things like fan photos and websites, what is the real cost to the university?

If someone were selling the photos, that's one thing. But, just displaying them on a website where no money is really being made?

As far as this thing with the word "Bevo"...seriously, UT? How many active posters can there really be on that website? Fifty?

I know that hundreds, maybe thousands, sign up. But, how many really dig in and are there everyday? And, are they really "hurting the brand?"

How many people really know about these website anyway? What is your traffic, Phil? It couldn't be too much different than ShaggyBevo...and, nowhere near nationally ranked as the top visited websites (although, of course, yours should be!).

It smacks of nothing more than sportsfascism...and, therefore, I'm not surprised that it is coming from UT!
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dwarthog View Post
    There is 15 pages of fun here with regards to the clamp down/name change mess.

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/sho...gy-name-change

08-01-2015 07:32 PM
    B1G

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Why is TEXAS spelled in RED letters?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

When I lived in Austin they went after a restaurant on North I-35 that was called Bevo's and they won a trademark suit against them and shut them down. That was when Dodds was AD. The original Bikini's restaurant opened up in the building after that.

http://www.utwatch.org/oldnews/aas_bevo_8_27_03.html