Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Landthief 1972's Avatar
    vCash

The "Football Brainiacs" claim Cody Thomas is looking like the best QB.

Quarterbacks

– Was told that Trevor Knight “started” with the first team offense.

– Cody Thomas continued his late week surge and, again, appeared to be the best of the three quarterbacks, according to what I was told. While it wasn’t by a large margin necessarily, Thomas did seem to take the most first team reps.

– Was told Thomas seems to have the quickest release and is able to stand tall in the pocket, get the ball out quickly & hit receivers with consistent accuracy. Which really shouldn’t come as much of a surprise — setting aside the memories of Thomas struggling in last year’s offense, of course — considering Thomas ran a similar system in high school…quick slants, stop routes, bubble screens, etc. Just got the sense from what I was told that Thomas has a really live arm.

– Also told that Thomas had a nice TD on a deep corner route.

– Knight appeared to show the most field generalship, but one source still contended that Thomas was the overall better performer. Knight evidently also hit someone in stride on a go route for a long touchdown.

– Was told that Baker Mayfield seemed a little indecisive today and tended to want to get out of the pocket a little too much.

https://thefootballbrainiacs.com/ou-...-notes-8-15-15
    Certainly, without a doubt, this is my signature, and I wrote it in a great way.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Re: The "Football Brainiacs" claim Cody Thomas is looking like the best QB.

AND, he has a mean curveball...er,
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Is he the kid someone told me would play for the Yankees someday...even though he quit baseball?
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

IDK who will start at qb this year and I don't care who ends up as the starter.What I do care about is that we get MUCH better qb play,whover the starter is.Sixty plus percentage completion rate and at least 2-1 TD to Int ratio. That is the minimum level we need to compete for a Big 12-2 title
    let alone a payoff shot.
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

Agree.

I don't care who starts as long as the offense keeps moving and putting up points.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 dwarthog's Avatar
    vCash

Those Brainiacs "was told" a bunch of stuff....

Is that a 3rd party "was told" site or do they actually watch scrimmages and practices etc.?

Sounds like a good solid competition is taking place for the starting role.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

AND I READ an SB writer insist from personal observation that Knight and Mayfield are far more mobile than Cody, which will be essential in this offense. I, on the other hand, don't know squat...
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

vCash

Tulsa World has an article on the QB race today.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...1da348768.html

More fuel for discussion.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 BermudaSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by swardboy View Post
    AND I READ an SB writer insist from personal observation that Knight and Mayfield are far more mobile than Cody, which will be essential in this offense. I, on the other hand, don't know squat...
    Why does the QB need to be mobile? I thought the whole point of this offense was slinging the ball around quickly. Those TTech QBs haven't been very mobile. 1-2 step drop and throw.
    "You get no moral credit for forcing other people to do what you think is right."---Penn Jillette

"It's what I do, I drink and I know things."---Tyrion Lannister

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BermudaSooner View Post
    Why does the QB need to be mobile? I thought the whole point of this offense was slinging the ball around quickly. Those TTech QBs haven't been very mobile. 1-2 step drop and throw.
    We like the illusion that our QB is a running threat. Until he gets nailed by a couple of dudes with bad intentions playing defense and we lose him for a game or two or three or ............

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoopified View Post
    IDK who will start at qb this year and I don't care who ends up as the starter.What I do care about is that we get MUCH better qb play,whover the starter is.Sixty plus percentage completion rate and at least 2-1 TD to Int ratio. That is the minimum level we need to compete for a Big 12-2 title
    let alone a payoff shot.
    We are going to need better than that. According to most of the reports, we can't stop the run. They are giving all the credit to the running backs, but that doesn't add up this early with this many new starters on the line. My thinking is that we are going to need something like a +1 to +2 TO margin to offset our defense. So given last year's dismal numbers, I'm thinking around 24 TOs generated.

Extrapolating the math, we are going to need that ratio closer to 8-1 (assuming 32 TDs/4 Ints) because we are going to lose 8 fumbles.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

TFB is a fun site to read, but as with any reporting site, if they're the only ones reporting it, take the reports with a grain of salt

It would be the ultimate upset if Cody gets the starting job. They all have college football game experience and of the three, Cody's game time was the least impressive thus far, IMHO.

but by all means, start the guy that performs the best in camp, especially when we're facing the daunting task of Akron in the opening week. If he can't perform well against Akron Zip Zip, then he's only a good practice QB... but if he does, then offseason wasn't a fluke.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BermudaSooner View Post
    We don't need a mobile quarterback. If the coaches will wake up and look around the roster, they'll notice Perine is there and design the offense around him.

All we need is a quarterback who can handle the snap from center, turn half way, then hand the ball to Perine.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

I've got three years left! Sign me up!
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Still didn't read anything that "claimed" anything...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    We don't need a mobile quarterback. If the coaches will wake up and look around the roster, they'll notice Perine is there and design the offense around him.

All we need is a quarterback who can handle the snap from center, turn half way, then hand the ball to Perine.
    We did that last year and man could be beat up the likes of Kansas and ISU. Perine had a solid game against Clemson and we barely managed to avoid being shutout. Even if we can get Perine 30 touches a game, the QB better play a lot better than last year on those other plays or we'll be looking at WVU as our highest quality win again this year.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Landthief 1972's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by kbsooner21 View Post
    Still didn't read anything that "claimed" anything...
    You're seriously going to split hairs on the choice of the word "claim" when the second through fifth bullet point in the QB section says:

Cody Thomas continued his late week surge and, again, appeared to be the best of the three quarterbacks, according to what I was told. While it wasn’t by a large margin necessarily, Thomas did seem to take the most first team reps.

– Was told Thomas seems to have the quickest release and is able to stand tall in the pocket, get the ball out quickly & hit receivers with consistent accuracy.

– Also told that Thomas had a nice TD on a deep corner route.

– Knight appeared to show the most field generalship, but one source still contended that Thomas was the overall better performer.
    Followed by a less-than-stellar statement regarding Mayfield:

Was told that Baker Mayfield seemed a little indecisive today and tended to want to get out of the pocket a little too much.
    They wrote the article, they quoted sources, ergo, they are making a claim.
    Certainly, without a doubt, this is my signature, and I wrote it in a great way.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Mobile quarterbacks should be like Aaron Rodgers instead, where passing is the top priority, but you can run for a first down if nobody's open.

If you'd rather run-first, play running back.

vCash

TFB are what they are. They clearly do have contacts with people either inside the program or who are allowed to view practices/scrimmages. And much like eye witnesses at a trial, those contacts can be unreliable. I enjoy the coverage because at least they write about OU football when little real info is coming from the program. I don't bet money based on the info, and I'm not going to get my feelers hurt if report something bogus. Just light entertainment and the price is right.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Its the best pure OU football site I've come across.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown