Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

Just read that Spencer Tillman to call CFB games with Brando on Fox

I'm glad to see Spencer get away from the SEC hype of CBS and I've always liked the way Brando calls a CFB game. I guess they'll be 2nd team to Klatt and Gus Johnson but imo they're more like 1a and 1b. I wouldn't mind seeing Spencer and Brando move up to Fox's No 1 P by P crew if Klatt moves on to do Fox's NFL broadcast, only.

Maybe they'll call our game with Tulsa. 12:00 PM Tulsa at Oklahoma Big 12 FOX Sports 1

FOX Sports today announces the addition of Spencer Tillman and Steve Hutchinson to its game crews
    Tillman reunites with play-by-play announcer Tim Brando, his longtime colleague and partner at CBS, to call games on FOX Sports 1.
    http://www.foxsports.com/presspass/l...ootball-broadc
    Last edited by aurorasooner; 8/14/2015 at 12:18 AM.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Just read that Spencer Tillman to call CFB games with Brando on Fox

Spencer is great on what I've seen from him over the years. He has represented OU superbly IMHO.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Now all Fox needs to do is to hire 4-5 cameramen and they'll be set.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    More like 14 or 15. I think they're using 4 or 5 now, which is part of the problem of watching Fox games. Lousy camera work done on the cheap.

vCash

Well we agree on that. Worst camera work of any network

vCash

Fox also appears to have longer and more frequent commercial breaks...
    DEFINITELY lousy camera work!

vCash

Both might be attributable to a desperate need for cash. To the point they're willing to risk long term viability for short term gain

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Everything about Fox is cheap. Their networks, their programming and their production values.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

I do agree about the commercial breaks being more frequent and longer. But that appears to me to be an industry wide thing.

Geez us, I tried to watch some of the PGA tourney on TNT this afternoon before the rain delay and it was like watching a bunch of back to back commercials with a little bit of golf sprinkled in. I don't know if the network ""bean counters" are trying to make just a ridiculous amount of profit off a high profile sporting event or due to the fact that all these viewers are "cutting the cord" that these networks are basically having to sell their commercial time for a ridiculous low price and having to make up for it by having so many of these low budget brain-dead infomercials. Also most of these commercials are so freakin' bad that I don't see how anybody could put up with watching one much less a bunch of the them back to back. IMHO, these Ad agencies are scamming these companies worse than Enron. Most are not even close to the old Bud-Light commercials, the Most Interesting Man in the World commercials, even the Roy Orbison Chicken Commercial, although that one about the Octopus (or Krakken or whatever it is) in the water hazard grabbing the golfer and his caddy is pretty damned good. Thank goodness for the wireless RF remote control.

I do wonder if Spencer got fed up with all that CBS subterfuge about the SEC that those CBS execs expect of their on-air P by P and analyst minions and decided to get out (much like a lot of the ESPiN guys are doing) or was he forced out by CBS.

I also agree, for the most part, about Fox trying to do their coverage of CFB, on-the-cheap. Just take a look at their failed Saturday AM CFB preview show for example. It was about as low budget as they come---and I really gave it a chance to get away from that other network's bias.

In any event, I do agree that 1)"just get the quality game match-ups", 2) do a decent job of camera-work and production of the game, and 3) put a couple of quality well-spoken and knowledgeable announcers in the booth who won't totally screw the coverage up, is the ticket. Geez us, even having some retired has-been former ref analyst is over-kill for their 2 cents on the limited close officiating plays, and they're often just as wrong on their opinion of the call as the fans.

Just looking at Fox's PDF game schedule on that same link, I think they're getting beaten like a rented mule on the quality game match-ups though, especially early in the season. I think they would probably do a lot better if some of the Big 12 teams (especially Baylor, Tech, KjSU, and OSU) as well as most of the Big 10 teams would play a decent quality OOC instead some of the the pathetic opponents that they schedule. They don't have to schedule top-20 opponents for their 3 yearly ooc games because that other network would just grab them up. But they do need to schedule better than the pathetic patsies that they usually schedule year in/out, except for perhaps one decent match-up every 3 or 4 years, or so.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mazeppa's Avatar
    vCash

This is why my mute button on my remote is wore out.

Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    More like 14 or 15. I think they're using 4 or 5 now, which is part of the problem of watching Fox games. Lousy camera work done on the cheap.
    For reasons that had been discussed before CBS always has a superior broadcast quality. Their HD looks so much better than all the rest. Fox should take a lesson from them.
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.
    Posted from iOS app

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sabanball's Avatar
    vCash

Loved Spencer on CBS and he was a regular guest on Finebaum. Great insight and one of the most objective CF analysts out there IMO. I'll miss him on Saturday afternoons but to that LSU homer Timmy B don't let the door hit you on the A** on the way out...
    Last edited by Sabanball; 8/16/2015 at 07:06 PM.
    Oklahoma will begin working with the Pacific Institute after the 2009 season.

"(Oklahoma coach) Bob Stoops' words to me were, 'I want exactly what Alabama got,'" Institute instructor Antowaine Richardson said.

The University of Alabama --All-Time leader with 10 AP NC's in the modern era and back-to-back AP NC's 3 times (64/65, 78/79, 11/12)