Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Landry Jones

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Landry Jones

Coupla overthrows. Coupla drops. Scramble for a first down.

Good to see him out there. I hope the Steelers keep him around.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

Glad to see he's still on a roster.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

If he makes it just one more season, NFL pension. Fingers crossed for a third season!!!

But quite frankly, yesterday's performance is getting trashed everywhere outside of OU fandom and maybe somewhere in New Mexico. If their backup isn't ready to go, I see Pittslesberger signing another team's QB that gets cut over keeping Landry if he doesn't have better preseason performances.

Yes, his receivers weren't catching what they should have. Yes, it's preseason... but taking my crimson glasses off, I would be hitting the panic button if he were Green Bay's backup and demanding the team bring in someone else to fill the backup void before the season starts. I loved when Paul Thompson was on Green Bay's practice squad, but would I ever want him to play in a game for us? A real game? Nonononononononononono

Gradkowski is already in Pittsburgh but just hurt at the moment.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

What little I saw he looked okay. Fairly poised in the pocket but stuck with just dismal receivers. A number of passes that should've been caught that weren't, but unfortunately a couple of plays that struck me as "WTF Landry?!" moments of years past. I won't be surprised if they keep him or cut him, honestly.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    What little I saw he looked okay. Fairly poised in the pocket but stuck with just dismal receivers. A number of passes that should've been caught that weren't, but unfortunately a couple of plays that struck me as "WTF Landry?!" moments of years past. I won't be surprised if they keep him or cut him, honestly.
    Same way I saw it - clearly 2nd and 3rd string (at best) skill players to support him. I think the lack of running game may have hurt worse than the WR play. And that "Outlaw Jesse James" TE cost a TD and an INT to go along with his holding penalty. But LJ did have a couple of bungled plays including letting the play clock run down a couple of times. He should be past those things.

I'd love to see him traded or picked up by a team not so set at QB. But regardless he still represents OU well. Only Bradford has been a true starter from OU in the Stoops era. NFL starting QB is a rare beast indeed. There are only 32 of them at a given time and maybe only 10-12 of them that the fans really like. No shame in not making that list and I never worry about LJ hitting the police blotter or embarrassing OU in any way.

vCash

oh yes I am not knocking the guy at all. he will always be our beloved meerkat whether he's in the NFL or being Mr. Whitney Hand

me during game: haha he's got a neckbeard to go with his mustache

husband responds: he's ALWAYS had a neckbeard!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post

me during game: haha he's got a neckbeard to go with his mustache

husband responds: he's ALWAYS had a neckbeard!
    Okay, I take that back about not embarrassing OU in any way.

vCash

Oh yes, he's been good to opposing fans who want some dorky looking Sooner to point at and say "LOL that's what a stereotypical Sooner looks like" but then we point at the 300 pound tight end and say "You only wish you looked as good as that bear, Baylor"

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

Very unlikely he is on the roster when season starts unless the other backup can't go..The Steelers have been going with 3 qbs on the roster the last couple of years but probably will go with 2 since they have a couple of slashes(WR/QB) on the roster for emergencies.
    Bazinga

vCash

I agree with STEP, but if the Steelers were to keep Landry Jones, it would be because of stuff like this:

No player got more work than Landry Jones, who threw the ball 46 times. Who throws it 46 times in the second preseason game? Jones does. And Jones finished a respectable 24-of-46 for 200 yards and a touchdown to C.J. Goodwin.

Jones can do some good things when he has time in the pocket and makes decisive throws. But this performance is once again ... meh. Especially when he finished incompletion, incompletion, incompletion, sack on the final drive with a chance to win.

The Steelers are giving Jones every chance to stick around. He’s not bulldozing his chances, but he’ll need more than 4.3 yards per passing attempt to succeed.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...king-this-easy

It really sounds like they're trying to justify keeping him, even if everything from the past few seasons suggest they shouldn't. Keep pushing, Landry!

vCash

What I have seen of him reminds me of the unrealized potential that is Landry Jones. I know Heupel caught a lot of flack because Jones had plateaued after his sophomore year and that maybe JH becoming OC was the reason. But I also see LJ hasn't really moved on past that level, which, when it's working is quite good, but when it isn't...ouch.

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

Exactly^. After his first round of rookie camp, The Steelers QB coach called LJ the worst prepared quarterback he had seen and wondered to the media what the Oklahoma coaches were doing with him.. After the first pre season game this year, he brought OU up again and said there is just some things he still can't do right that he brought with him from Oklahoma.
    Bazinga

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Your take, because I value it: is that on OU coaches? Or on Jones?
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

vCash

My take at this point is LJ has progressed as far as he's going to and no coaching is going to fix/change it.

vCash

Steelers cut Tahj Boyd yesterday. LJ's chances of making the Steelers a third season...rising...???

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OUmillenium's Avatar
    vCash

This is great. I had no idea LJ was still trying to play NFL. Pullin for him.
    Here lies Lester Moor
    4 slugs from a .44
    No Lester no more

That's no moon...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 deweydw's Avatar
    vCash

Doing well against the Packers, in the second half. Still has the happy feet though. Getting so much playing time, Steelers want to keep him, me thinks.
    "Destiny dressed you this morning, my friend. And now fear is trying to pull off your pants." "If you give up, If you give in. Then you're going to end up naked, with fear just standing there laughing at your dang unmetionables." - The Tick

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

It was a pretty decent outing for Landry. The problem I see with LJ is the same things that keep him from being a starting QB will prevent him from being an effective backup. I do think if he keeps showing some hint of effectiveness and improvement he will make the roster.

vCash

A potential setback: The Steelers are meeting Michael Vick:
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...e97d85878.html

This is a bit disappointing because word outta camp was that LJ was starting to be thought of as the backup not the third stringer:
    http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201508240142