Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Unexpected receiver addition....

The Oklahoma Sooners continued to a stellar week in recruiting by adding a 2015 wide receiver to the roster. Late Friday night, top 50 JUCO player, Jarvis Baxter, joined the program as a walk-on after a bit of an interesting journey.
    Initially, the standout chose South Florida as home in November of 2014 and later signed with the program. However, in the middle of July this year, Baxter was released from his letter of intent with USF after failing to qualify academically. That begs the question as to how the wide receiver attained the required GPA for admittance into the University of Oklahoma?
    According to Bob Pryzbylo of Scout, "Baxter said USF only allows someone to use nine credit hours in the summer to meet the required GPA. Baxter took more than nine hours but those extra hours couldn't count for USF but do count for OU. OU allows for more than nine hours in the summer, which is what Baxter needed to reach the required GPA."
    Lacking proven experience in the group aside from Sterling Shepard, Baxter is hoping to compete for not only for playing time but also a scholarship during the upcoming season. The journey continues on August 4th when the team reports to campus.

http://www.hudl.com/v/C5eUp

Last edited by swardboy; 8/1/2015 at 02:44 PM.
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Unexpected receiver addition....

Not real big

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 jdsooner's Avatar
    vCash

Javis is a welcome addition to Sooner Nation! We need depth at wide receiver.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mazeppa's Avatar
    vCash

We need "quality" depth at wide receiver. Just sayin'

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

He's a walk on. I'm all for it. And our luck with juco wrs has not been bad. If he could be the next Scooba, he's worth the time and energy
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    He's a walk on. I'm all for it. And our luck with juco wrs has not been bad. If he could be the next Scooba, he's worth the time and energy
    Just clarifying here, we've had good luck in Year 2 with juco WRs. Year 1, they have a tendency to start fast disappear for 8 games, then come on late.

vCash

And I think he's got 3 to play 2? He's worth the coaching time this year. If he can 'show' then he gets a Schollie. If not, nothing other than some time expended.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

USF's entrance standard for athletes is tougher than ours?

Sheesh.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

vCash

No. Different. Ours allow more summer hours to count. Been discussed to death.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    USF's entrance standard for athletes is tougher than ours?

Sheesh.
    This is the first time I've ever seen a quarters school not have an advantage over OU. Most of the time that extra semester gives so much leeway that they don't qualify at OU but qualify at Oregon/UCLA. However, there is an absolute ceiling on the number of hours per semester that a quarters school will allow (whereas there isn't for a semester school).

vCash

Okay, gleaned from some recruiting websites, his only Power Five offer was from...drum roll, please...Texas Tech! The remainder from the likes of North Texas, UL-Monroe, both New Mexico schools...basically all the vomit hash from Sun Belt/C-USA. Boy, that Kingsbury is really aiming high when it comes to recruiting for the Sand Aggies. Trying to muscle in on the Mean Green and other lightweights in the region. What has he lost, about a dozen games in a row for the Sand Ags?

Before JUCO and USF, this kid committed to SMU out of high school (Garland Lakeview Centennial). Really. It says so.
    Last edited by Tear Down This Wall; 8/3/2015 at 12:49 PM.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi View Post
    This is the first time I've ever seen a quarters school not have an advantage over OU. Most of the time that extra semester gives so much leeway that they don't qualify at OU but qualify at Oregon/UCLA. However, there is an absolute ceiling on the number of hours per semester that a quarters school will allow (whereas there isn't for a semester school).
    Well. Whatever. It has allowed us to benefit from talent worthy of SMU and South Florida. Maybe its not to late to join the American Athletic Conference/C-USA Reboot, have our own conference to dominate!

vCash

Well. Whatever. It has allowed us to benefit from talent worthy of SMU and South Florida. Maybe its not to late to join the American Athletic Conference/C-USA Reboot, have our own conference to dominate!
    I think you really should become a fan of some other school and take your leave of this one.

vCash

I typically let them play before I pass judgement on them. I've been making a series of tableau visualizations with you in mind.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/j...sbyStateTop100

More guys who weren't in the state top 100 from California were drafted than ones that were in it

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    I think you really should become a fan of some other school and take your leave of this one.
    Because I won't celebrate walk-ons whose best options before were SMU, USF, and Tech? You must be kidding. If this caliber of player is what we now celebrate, it is not I who needs a new school to cheer, but many others.

I expect Oklahoma to be Oklahoma, not bottom-barreling due to a receiver shortage. That we've become Texas Tech's twin is a problem...which will be solved within a couple of years when Stoops is gone.

Expect better. The program is capable of it.

vCash

Because I won't celebrate walk-ons whose best options before were SMU, USF, and Tech? You must be kidding. If this caliber of player is what we now celebrate, it is not I who needs a new school to cheer, but many others.

I expect Oklahoma to be Oklahoma, not bottom-barreling due to a receiver shortage. That we've become Texas Tech's twin is a problem...which will be solved within a couple of years when Stoops is gone.

Expect better. The program is capable of it.
    We've gotten several pretty good WRs over the years that had similar offers. We've also passed on some great WRs because we went after the higher rated receiver. Every time I go back and realize we could have had Mark Clayton and Wes Welker in the same receiving corps it annoys the crap out of me.

vCash

How many stars did Welker have, again?

vCash

Welker 2000-2003

Texas Tech 0-4 versus OU. Final two years, experienced Welker loses to OU 60-15 and 56-25. Welker scores 1 touchdown combined in the two games, the only touchdown he scored in four games against Oklahoma.

Welker is lucky Tech gave him a scholarship. He'd have sat on our bench his freshman year while we won a national title. And, it's unlikely he'd have ever started at game at OU.

He should always be grateful to Texas Tech, for sure, who are always desperate for any player to agree to spend four years of their lives in Lubbock. But, OU never needed him.

As it stood, OU beat Welker and Tech every year, played for three conference titles and two national titles without him. It's good that he got to play in the galleryfurniture.com Bowl, Tangerine Bowl, Alamo Bowl, and Houston Bowl while with Tech. Those are, for the players who are involved, probably fun. The parents are likely proud to sit in the half empty stadiums and watch them as well.

vCash

Any player is only as good as the team around him. Imagine what Welker might have done at OU. Or if we had Tyler Lockett last season. C'mon, man...stop taking digs at players just because you can.

How many Super Bowl rings does Welker have again?

vCash

Welker 2000-2003

Texas Tech 0-4 versus OU. Final two years, experienced Welker loses to OU 60-15 and 56-25. Welker scores 1 touchdown combined in the two games, the only touchdown he scored in four games against Oklahoma.

Welker is lucky Tech gave him a scholarship. He'd have sat on our bench his freshman year while we won a national title. And, it's unlikely he'd have ever started at game at OU.

He should always be grateful to Texas Tech, for sure, who are always desperate for any player to agree to spend four years of their lives in Lubbock. But, OU never needed him.

As it stood, OU beat Welker and Tech every year, played for three conference titles and two national titles without him. It's good that he got to play in the galleryfurniture.com Bowl, Tangerine Bowl, Alamo Bowl, and Houston Bowl while with Tech. Those are, for the players who are involved, probably fun. The parents are likely proud to sit in the half empty stadiums and watch them as well.
    Really? You are using team stats to prove how good a player is? Welker is going to be in the college football HOF and might have a shot at the NFL HOF.

In 2000, he would have redshirted just like the other receivers in his class -> Will Peoples and Mark Clayton.
    In 2001, he would have been instrumental after we lost Mackey and Clayton to injuries. He also would have been our Punt Returner if anyone remembers the revolving door back there.
    In 2002, he would have stepped in when Peoples went down. Peoples was never the same after that so he wouldn't have been an impact there.
    2003/2004 - It would have been Clayton/Jones/Welker/Bradley primary with Travis Lewis/Rankins on spot duty.