Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 BermudaSooner's Avatar
    vCash

USA Today Coaches Poll out

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa.../coaches-poll/

OU at #19

TCU #2
    Baylor #4
    Tennessee #25
    "You get no moral credit for forcing other people to do what you think is right."---Penn Jillette

"It's what I do, I drink and I know things."---Tyrion Lannister

vCash

Re: USA Today Coaches Poll out

Damn world is upside down! Not just politically and socially, but TCU & Baylor are in the top 5 and there's OU at #19!!! (and I'm not sure they deserve that)
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

early season polls are inevitable. As far as an 'educated guess' goes, this one is probably okay.
    I wonder how accurate these pre-season polls are in predicting who'll finish in the top ten or top twenty? Such a little bit of luck separates one team from those one slot above or below, for example.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

vCash

On the plus side: I'm going into this season with ZERO expectations, so if it ends up being a pretty good one or better, I'll be pleasantly pleased.

And I think that's largely dependent on Baker Mayfield and how he plays.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 BermudaSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    On the plus side: I'm going into this season with ZERO expectations, so if it ends up being a pretty good one or better, I'll be pleasantly pleased.

What would a "pretty good one" be? 11-2 with a loss to Texas? 10-3, but beat Texas?
    "You get no moral credit for forcing other people to do what you think is right."---Penn Jillette

"It's what I do, I drink and I know things."---Tyrion Lannister

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

For those that don't want to click on the link...

1 Ohio State 14-1 1598 62 NR 0 –
    2 TCU 12-1 1487 1 NR 0 –
    3 Alabama 12-2 1452 1 NR 0 –
    4 Baylor 11-2 1365 0 NR 0 –
    5 Oregon 13-2 1260 0 NR 0 –
    6 Michigan State 11-2 1230 0 NR 0 –
    7 Auburn 8-5 1103 0 NR 0 –
    8 Florida State 13-1 1057 0 NR 0 –
    9 Georgia 10-3 1026 0 NR 0 –
    10 USC 9-4 1014 0 NR 0 –
    11 Notre Dame 8-5 883 0 NR 0 –
    12 Clemson 10-3 838 0 NR 0 –
    13 LSU 8-5 727 0 NR 0 –
    14 UCLA 10-3 697 0 NR 0 –
    15 Ole Miss 9-4 668 0 NR 0 –
    16 Arizona State 10-3 577 0 NR 0 –
    17 Georgia Tech 11-3 573 0 NR 0 –
    18 Wisconsin 11-3 470 0 NR 0 –
    19 Oklahoma 8-5 407 0 NR 0 –
    20 Arkansas 7-6 377 0 NR 0 –
    21 Stanford 8-5 365 0 NR 0 –
    22 Arizona 10-4 299 0 NR 0 –
    23 Missouri 11-3 229 0 NR 0 –
    24 Boise State 12-2 190 0 NR 0 –
    25 Tennessee 7-6 166 0 NR 0 –
    *Hi/Low Rankings

Hi/Low = The highest and lowest ranking each team has held during the designated season. Any team that starts the season unranked and/or falls out of the top 25 during the season will reflect a "NR" (not ranked) designation as its lowest rank.
    Others Receiving Votes

Mississippi State 164; Texas A&M 149; Oklahoma State 89; Virginia Tech 70; Utah 40; Kansas State 37; Louisville 27; Nebraska 27; Minnesota 25; Penn State 20; South Carolina 18; Miami (Fla.) 16; Texas 8; Illinois 7; Duke 6; Air Force 5; Louisiana Tech 5; Marshall 4; Utah State 4; West Virginia 3; North Carolina State 3; Brigham Young 3; Florida 2; Georgia Southern 2; North Carolina 2; Maryland 1; Michigan 1; Kentucky 1; Central Florida 1; Cincinnati 1; Washington 1.
    That's 8 of the 14 SEC teams in the top 25, another two just on the outside looking in... and then Kentucky getting a pity vote and Vanderbilt getting no pity whatsoever because nerds don't belong in the SEC. Spurrier has a few votes and Florida gets none too, not for nerdy but for Tebow hangover I guess?

This sets up the usual narrative for the regular season: The daunting conference schedule will justify the non-conference cream puffs scheduled to start the season (and provide a midseason break during the rough and tough conference). The defeat of top 25 conference opponents will justify placing them even higher in the polls, but also excuse losses to fellow top 25 opponent with lesser drops in the polls after conference defeats, even if they're blowouts at home.

In conclusion, all four college football playoff teams should be from the SEC because the other conference's just don't have the strength of schedule.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

If we lose no more than 3, I will think maybe we are mending. Otherwise, we're Gary Gibbs teams. or Gomer Jones.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

Gary and Gomer were before my time... I arrived in 2001, so the worst I heard about was Blake

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BermudaSooner View Post
    What would a "pretty good one" be? 11-2 with a loss to Texas? 10-3, but beat Texas?
    Sorta depends on various factors like who we lose to & in what manner, how we play regardless of result, do we appear to be on the upswing or downswing as a program...

But if we don't win at least 10 games I'd have a hard time saying things were "pretty good" regardless of any of those things.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

I wonder how accurate these pre-season polls are in predicting who'll finish in the top ten or top twenty?
    Here's Preseason/End of Year 2014 results:

USA TODAY Preseason/ Composite Final

1. Florida State.......................Ohio State
    2. Alabama ............................Oregon
    3. Oregon .............................Alabama
    4. Oklahoma .........................TCU
    5. Ohio State.........................Michigan State
    6. Auburn..............................Florida State
    7. UCLA..............................Georgia
    8. Michigan State..................Georgia State
    9. South Carolina...................Baylor
    10. Baylor.............................UCLA

Three poll picks didn't finish top ten.
    Five finishers weren't in the preseason poll.
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    Gary and Gomer were before my time... I arrived in 2001, so the worst I heard about was Blake
    If it's comforting to you, know that Blake was worse than either Gary or Gomer.

John was the worst coach we've had in my lifetime...or Schnellenbourbon.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Probably about right. With crappy QBs, small school defense, and Texas Tech offense, I expect very Texas Tech-like results: 7 to 9 wins and another crappy bowl.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

vCash

I heard TDTW is gay for Mike Leach.

vCash

Damn world is upside down! Not just politically and socially, but TCU & Baylor are in the top 5 and there's OU at #19!!! (and I'm not sure they deserve that)
    Nobody deserves any pre-season ranking. Pre-season rankings are beyond meaningless and idiotic.

vCash

I used to follow Mike Leach when he initially went to Wazzu, but that last season leads me to believe Leach's best coaching is behind him. He got them turned around in season 2 up there, but season 3 was as abysmal as season 1.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    I used to follow Mike Leach when he initially went to Wazzu, but that last season leads me to believe Leach's best coaching is behind him. He got them turned around in season 2 up there, but season 3 was as abysmal as season 1.
    He's a joke. His whole career is nothing but a bit that's been played out long ago. His master, Hal Mumme, eventually ended up back at Division II/III/NAIA. It's where he belongs as well. He might do fine at a significantly crappy outpost like North Texas or Louisiana Tech or some other school in a conference whose schools don't get the best athletes.

This is where the interview I heard recently with Joel Klatt about whether the Leach/Chip Kelly-type of offenses would be successful. He said no. And, they only reason they work in high school and college so well is that you still have the propensity for athletic mismatches.

Wazzu isn't going to out-athlete many, if any, school in Pac-12. None. Leach might be able to scrape up enough talented piece in a crappy conference to give a crappy school a year or two of "excitement."

But, otherwise, he's a joke.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

vCash

Look, I, too, am upset that he upset OU at times when I wish Tech didn't, but he was really successful by Texas Tech standards during his decade or so there and I wish him nothing but the best wherever he goes... and if he pizzes off the Pac 12 powers like he once did to the Big 12 powers (read: us), awesome. He is far, far away and will never out-offense us again

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    He's a joke. His whole career is nothing but a bit that's been played out long ago. His master, Hal Mumme, eventually ended up back at Division II/III/NAIA. It's where he belongs as well. He might do fine at a significantly crappy outpost like North Texas or Louisiana Tech or some other school in a conference whose schools don't get the best athletes.

This is where the interview I heard recently with Joel Klatt about whether the Leach/Chip Kelly-type of offenses would be successful. He said no. And, they only reason they work in high school and college so well is that you still have the propensity for athletic mismatches.

Wazzu isn't going to out-athlete many, if any, school in Pac-12. None. Leach might be able to scrape up enough talented piece in a crappy conference to give a crappy school a year or two of "excitement."

But, otherwise, he's a joke.
    He's such a joke that he blazed an offensive trail through the Big 12.

I don't care what you and Patsy Jones say, he had Texas Tech one win away from playing to get into the BCS championship. No joke.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

yup
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by picasso View Post
    He's such a joke that he blazed an offensive trail through the Big 12.

I don't care what you and Patsy Jones say, he had Texas Tech one win away from playing to get into the BCS championship. No joke.
    He not only altered the way the game is played in the Big XII, the ripple effects are still moving through college football. It's even having an impact on the SEC.

Leach is an excellent coach. The problem with Leach is that he didn't innovate beyond what he knows. Briles, for example, has a completely different offense but has always said that he has to continually change it in order to remain 'fresh' because the moment you become predictable is the moment you start losing. That's Leach's problem. It's the same offense that has been done since the early 2000s.